Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #1

Add Flat Screen to spot where old TV used to be

Has anyone replaced there old fashion TV with a flat screen and done it in the same place where the old one was/is?

See the attached photo: See the place where the old TV is, I want to put a flat screen there.

Any ideas how to go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.

TriMoot

TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #2

Yes. Look at what I posted yesterday here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/flee...-201069-4.html

I pulled the box out completely as it is useless space with a flatscreen which bought mt more interior space.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Oh there's about a gazillion (well, not THAT many) threads here about TV upgrades. We did one that's documented in the Fleetwood Forum. Many are posted in the Owner's Forums & there's several threads in the Technology Forum. Just do some poking around in a bunch of those areas & you'll find tons of posts w/pictures.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Jeepers..I thought I was the 1st guy to think of this

Well, I'll poke around and see what I find!

Thanks guys!

(Have I told you lately...I LOVE THIS FORUM!!)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

LOL, that was my first improvement on our 98 HR . I would suggest using an adjustable arm setup in the bedroom, I can slide mine out of the original case and tilt or twist it any direction to make viewing more comfortable.
dragvw2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Community Moderator

yours looks just like the setup on mine. here is what I did:

1) take out the bulky frame

2) Remove all cables/box of many buttons/cassette, etc, but keep winegard booster

3) Add a side board. Make sure you have something to support the weight of board and tv.

4) Affix the parallel bars. I used 2 aluminum U shape bars for light weight and rust free. L shape galvanized steel bars are good too.

5) A 32" LED TV fits exactly

6) Bedroom is similar, 22" LED TV
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your still looking look in the TV to LCD Conversion section of this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

One of the first thing I will do to my 85 Vogue I just bought when my mechanic is through going through it with a fine tooth comb. I already bought the TVs and swivel mounts to replace those 2 tiny square tvs. It is the easiest thing to do in my opinion. My front TV is in a place over the dining table that really limits the size. I bought a 24" Samsung on sale at Costco for that spot. In the bedroom it was situated in a different place, so am able to put a 28" Samsung there. One thing I feel is necessary and hard to find on the smaller size TVs is making sure it has an digital optical out plug so I can add my wireless surround sound headphones to the bedroom TV. I want to be able to blast the sound sometimes late at night and don't want to keep other RV neighbors up.

The mounts can be mounted anywhere and in lots of different ways and they swivel in every direction so are easy to view and easy to push back flush against the outside of the sq cabinet hole that used to house the old TVs. They look great there, cover up the opening of the cabinet, yet still allow you to store things where the old tv was, such as a dvd player, or simply towels, dishes, or whatever.
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First...you have to remove the old TV to see what kind of support is already there. My old DP had a good steel support frame for me to bolt a full motion mount to. I'm sure what is already supporting the heavy old CRT will also support a much lighter flat screen plus mount. Our old 27 inch TB weighed around 80 lbs. The 37 inch flat/wide screen with mount weighs less than 40. The full motion mount bolted to one side of the steel support frame and the TV horizontally overlapped the opening by 1 inch on each side. Vertically, I had to add a piece of plywood with black speaker grill cloth over it to hide the opening. Now the opening became extra storage. I put mostly electronics parts in there. I ran a power strip/surge protector from the existing plug and plugged the Sat dish and DVD player into there. Traded the unit in and don't have photos but all ideas came from this forum. Take heart and have fun. P.S.....had to upgrade , the old TV failed and could not find a replacement to fit the hole. Had to modify anyway so why not go HD.
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We removed the overhead TV and I built a popup tv cabinet ( manual operation for popup )
would be happy to share photo's and specifications including a source for the Televator
mechanical unit that hold s the TV cost about $ 200 for mechanical popup unit plus wood
for cabinet Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1399093584.930593.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	782.9 KB
ID:	62002
Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #11

Go to the Winnebago forum, they have lots of ideas on flat screen installations for both the bedroom and the front overhead TV locations. Also google flatscreen TV installation for RV's for additional info. I just installed a 29" Vizio in our bedroom and am now working on the front TV. It will be a 32" flatscreen.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doing that as I type... I'm in the middle of the upgrade.

Here is what I did: Searched for and found a New Wide Screen Flat Screen that was EXACTLY the same width.. The one I choose was a DYNEX from a pawn shop.. Watching it as I type.

I got lucky on the EXACTLY the same width (more on this later)

What I have done so far

Removed the front trim, removed the TV (NOTE: there were two screws in the Bottom I did not see at first) Removed brackets from old TV, re-installed on NEW TV using shorter screws (Check to insure it was safe to do so) and re-mounted for the time being in the same place.. Removed old TV to a donation facility where they can get perhaps 10 bucks for it, Very nice Toshiba.

Planned improvements: Contacted Cabinet maker, he will make me a door and a bottom.. I may cancel bottom, These are flat panels.. I will mount the TV on the door and use good strong hinges (not cabinet type but DOOR type) to hold it, 3 or 4 of them Two on one side will be regular hinges, the other two I'll pull the pins and replace with a slightly smaller pin (perhaps same pin machined) these will positively latch the door closed (I use this method on some cupboards now).

I will remove the "Floor" from the existion compartment and cut off the excess "Down" part (Where it drops down below the equipment bays on either side) making the bottom flush across.

Will panel the inside, hiding all the grung and wires, also install proper floor.

Will add shelves to store CD's and DVD's and such.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #13

Thanks again everyone, great input. One thing that occurs to me is that perhaps I need to consider a TV and Blu-ray that runs on 12 volts. I have no idea if they make 12v Blu-ray players, otherwise I'll need to be plugged into power or running the generator when I want to watch..... That's a concern when boondoging right?
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Thanks again everyone, great input. One thing that occurs to me is that perhaps I need to consider a TV and Blu-ray that runs on 12 volts. I have no idea if they make 12v Blu-ray players, otherwise I'll need to be plugged into power or running the generator when I want to watch..... That's a concern when boondoging right?
yes, 12v. i am using lg bp135 blu ray player, a very basic one. it uses an power adapter but the output of the adapter is 12vdc. i just cut the power adapter off and connect it to 12v directly.

as for 12v tvs, i looked at jensen 32", the pic quality was subpar. among all established brands i could compare side by side with my eyeballs (at bestbuy and frys), samsung un32f5500 was by far the best, so i got it. it runs on 110v but i am using a 12v to 110v inverter dedicated to it. when i don't watch tv, i shut it off. my bedroom 22" samsung un22f500 is running on 12v (it came with an adapter of outputting 14v, but no problem on 12v - my batteries are always full maintained by solar, most time it is at 13-13.7v anyway).

a food for thought - i added a 15a inline fuse to each and every power plug-in i made to insure safety. hope you consider a fuse (7a, 10a or 15a) for that purpose.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr