Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Add Roof Top A/C Unit

I recently purchased a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 35L with a basement A/C system. I have checked the system and it is running to full capability. I am not satisfied with its cooling capacity in the So. Cal summers. I have read other posts of users that have added a roof top A/C unit in place of one of the existing roof top vents. This sounds like a perfect solution for when we need the extra cooling power or maybe when we only need the power of a rooftop A/C unit. Does anyone have any information on getting this done? I know the actual installation is no problem. It is the wiring implications that I am concerned about. Looking for information. Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Some have added the type of roof air with the controls on the bottom of the unit then routed a power line externally to the coach and plug it into the 20 amp outlet on most CG pedestals. Some have run the power cord down the reefer vent then coil it in the reefer access on the outside.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Add Roof Top A/C Unit

I had exactly what you want done to my signature coach. The heavy gage wiring was connected to a new breaker added to the coach 110V panel at the foot of bed and then run up the interior of a wall to reach the ceiling where it was fed thru the existing AC duct from the basement AC to reach the kitchen vent fan opening. They mounted a bottom control roof top AC unit in the vent fan location and now we can use the coach in the hottest conditions where the basement unit alone is just not enough. Total cost for unit and install was around $1,500.00 I think. Done at the WBGO dealer in Buda TX-Crestview RV.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Are these units 15,000btu units? I love this idea! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Are these units 15,000btu units? I love this idea! \ken
You can choose whatever roof top AC power & features you want, even one with a heat pump, as long as it can be controlled by onboard controls because I don't think you can hook it up to a remote T-stat. Be aware, it is noisier than your basement AC because it isn't ducted and you'll notice the return air noise. That said, at night, we run the roof top unit's fan on continuous and let its temperature control cycle the compressor to maintain desired temps. That way the under-bed basement unit does not disturb our sleep when it cycles on/off because we simply turn it off at night.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

I have a 2007 Adventurer 35a, and added a rooftop unit a couple of months ago. Remove the fantastic vent, and ran a piece of romex through the existing wiring channel to the breaker box. I don't have a washer/dryer, so I was able to use the existing 20amp breaker for power. Not sure where the breaker panel is on your model, mine is next to the kitchen sink. A couple of wire snake is needed. We've been happy having the extra cooling it provides.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Add Roof Top A/C unit Continued

Thank you for the great responses.

My breaker panel is located below the sink and it does seem that it has space to add additional breakers. It would seem that it means that when running on 50 amp, that all 3 a/c units should be able to be run. Does any one disagree?

Does anyone know of some place in So. Cal. that is capable of doing this installation?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Where did you have the work done? Or did you do it yourself? Are you able to run both a/c systems at the same time?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #9

Running on 50 amps, no problem with running the three units. Running on my generator, (Onan Marquis Gold 5500) can be hit or miss. The three units draw 30 amps, which is the same as the generator breakers. Which is kind of strange, since the basement air runs off two separate power legs. I had mine installed at CW San Marcos.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #10

I have a. 2009 journey and. I want to do this the electric panel is located at the rear of the coach and still trying to figure a way to get power to it.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jserna View Post
I recently purchased a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 35L with a basement A/C system. I have checked the system and it is running to full capability. I am not satisfied with its cooling capacity in the So. Cal summers. I have read other posts of users that have added a roof top A/C unit in place of one of the existing roof top vents. This sounds like a perfect solution for when we need the extra cooling power or maybe when we only need the power of a rooftop A/C unit. Does anyone have any information on getting this done? I know the actual installation is no problem. It is the wiring implications that I am concerned about. Looking for information. Thank you
I'd try getting it down to the basement, through the vents or other, then splitting one of the genset 20amp circuits with a plug and outlet, so that you could run on the gen or on a separate pedestal circuit, when parked.
Just don't know how your genset might be wired for this and especially since you have basement air.
What I'm saying is that many roof air models have a 20amp dedicated breaker for the rear ac, but most sure something could be figured out along these same lines.
All else fails, you could still have a pigtail coiled up in the basement for plugging in when parked.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
San Marcos Texas or California? How long ago did you have the installation done?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #13

Gary,
Go to the Winnebago site and download the wiring diagrams for your coach. It should show you the wiring runs. Usually one of the channels will be in the middle of the ceiling, (think light fixtures.)

Tags
roof