Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #1

Add water pump switch in bathroom?

Being a long time RVer I am in the habit of not leaving the water pump on especially overnight, when not in the rig, or while driving.
What ends up happening is heading to the bathroom and forgetting to turn on the pump. Sure its not the end of the world but its a PITA to have to turn on the pump to finish up.

I have a 2004 adventurer 38R, the wet bay is right under the bathroom sink and can be seen if I remove the magazine rack. There is a switch in the wet bay for the pump.

So my question is can I just splice into the wires on each side of the switch in the bay or is there something special I need to consider? If anyone has any insight as to what Im up against getting from the cabinet to the bay that would be awesome. I am out of commission due to my back I poked my head in there when I took the magazine rack out to see what was behind it but didn't pay attention to the wet bay...cause it wasn't an idea back then. lol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
My first thought would be to move the switch from the wet bay to the bathroom. I do not think that you can just splice into the existing wires. I would mark the existing wire and just extend them with the same color wire up under the sink.

I don't think you would miss the switch in the wet since most of the time when you are in there dumping or whatever you are hooked up to city water.

To add a third switch I think you need what is called a latching relay and I am not the least bit familar with those.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Community Moderator

this is a good thread. i am now running back and forth .

there are some wireless switches on ebay that may be used. splice the switch into the wires near the pump in the wet bay, and put the remote in the bathroom.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

You can wire in multiple switches directly to pump. Each would function independently so you would have to turn pump off at switch used to turn it on.

You can wire in multiple switches using a 'latching relay'. Any current switch would have to be changed out to a momentary switch. With latching relay you can turn pump on/off at ANY switch

Example of latching relay (can be found at a lower price but this one gives INFO)
Intellitec Fresh Water Pump Control Module - 12 Volt Power - Electrical
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
YC1

Yeah that is fine. I added one to my bathroom. The panel with the switch is on the hall wall just outside our bathroom. So dumb to not put a switch close to where needed. I did not add a light. If I forget it the light is on in the hall and living area to remind me.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'd recommend wiring a three way switch setup. With this you can have multiple switches and not have to search and find which switch is turned on or turned off.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

My Monaco came with 5 water pump switches, I would check Monaco Signature, Executive wiring diagrams, I'm sure Dynasty also multiple switches, you can turn pump on and off at any location.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
I'd recommend wiring a three way switch setup. With this you can have multiple switches and not have to search and find which switch is turned on or turned off.
3 way switch requires a 'traveler' wire.
Won't that require pulling another wire from each switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
My Monaco came with 5 water pump switches, I would check Monaco Signature, Executive wiring diagrams, I'm sure Dynasty also multiple switches, you can turn pump on and off at any location.
Latching Relay.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

The two switches I have now are independent of each other so I have no problem having to go back to the bathroom to cut it off because it will likely get cut right back off after flushing and washing hands cause there was a reason it was off in the first place.

The remote switch sounds nice, never looked into 12V options. Ive recently put in several remote switches in my house because the person that did the wiring for the light switches was a complete idiot. Why would you have a long kitchen and one light switch nowhere near the door you enter the house by.

I am not up to pulling a new wire. I mangled my back and my husband is not always a willing participant in projects. I can get him to help me run one down to the wetbay but the long run from the front of the coach wouldn't be something he would willingly do.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are multiple ways doing this. I added an extra pump switch near the winterizing siphon tube, makes that job much easier.

The simplest option is to just extend two wires to a new switch location. You can tape into either side of an existing switch just fine. Just make sure you match the same gauge of wire as already being used. Mine was 10 gauge I believe. This option does require you to turn off at the same or each location where you've turned it on at. Not a big deal to me.

Option two is to install a replay system, a little more complex if you have not installed relays before. But doable for sure.

Option three is three or four way switches (two or more locations) where you turn it on/off at any one of the switch locations. Like hallway lights. This does require a traveler wire to be added between every switch. Could require a lots more work than 1 or 2 above.

Might also consider adding an accumulator or pressure tank. This will greatly reduce the frequency which the water pump has to cycle on. Real nice at night on those quicks runs to the head.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Much of what has been said I think is misleading information. The Pump is 12v direct current. I lot of the statements of how to do this sounds like 120v alternating current which needs Hot Common Ground and Travelers. 12 v only needs a hot to the pump and one ground to the pump. So you can send a positive from any number of sites to the pump to make it work. But they will also all have to be turned off to deactivate the pump unless you have a main switch controlling all the hots from various switches. The system in my 2000 allegro Bus has separate hots from the main panel one in the toilet room and one at the lavatory all independent from each other
Old 04-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
You can wire in multiple switches directly to pump. Each would function independently so you would have to turn pump off at switch used to turn it on.

You can wire in multiple switches using a 'latching relay'. Any current switch would have to be changed out to a momentary switch. With latching relay you can turn pump on/off at ANY switch

Example of latching relay (can be found at a lower price but this one gives INFO)
Intellitec Fresh Water Pump Control Module - 12 Volt Power - Electrical
Our '00 DSDP was wired with three switches, had to figure out where it was turned on so I could turn it off. Had I known that I would have ordered the latching controller.
When we ordered the '02 DSDP I specifed the Intellitech latching control unit.
Present rig has at least four switches.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks are making this way more difficult than it has to be. The switch in the wet bay is a spst Single pole single throw switch. It is hot on one side and supplies power to the pump on the other. Simply run a wire to each side and add a switch in the bathroom. You will have to turn the switch off at this position each time, but that is not a big deal. The only change in the wiring will be that if you leave the bathroom switch on, you will not be able to shut off the pump in the wet bay. No big deal. Just remember to turn off the bathroom switch. IT ain't rocket science.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #14

First I would assess if you have a Latching controller or not (even my old coach has one by Intellitec). These type of controllers have multiple switches (mine has 3) and when one is on they all are on, so you can turn off any and the pump goes off.
That IMO is the easiest way to add more switches. If you're going to run wires, run them to this controller.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, water, water pump