Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Added cost because of DEF

We have an 04 deisel pusher which doesn't use def, I'm curious as to the cost of def how much does your rig use? Is there maintenance to that system? And what happens if you run out of def while going down the road?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our DEF tank would take us 4 to 5k miles before it would be totally empty. I've been buying DEF at Wal-Mart at about $12 for a 2.5 gallon tank. I'll get about 1200 miles on that 2.5 gallons. That translates to about 1 cent per mile. You can buy it in bulk at many fuel stations for much less, a little more than half. When the gauge shows I've used a quarter of my 10 gallon tank I'll top it off at my next opportunity.

You'd have to be really tuned out to run out of DEF, but should you, the engine will go into a 'limp mode' until you top off again. Not something you should, or would want to, experience.

There's no regular maintenance for the DEF system that I'm aware of.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

With us it's not so much the cost of the stuff as the availability. You can buy it at most auto supply stores if you want to pay up to about $20 a gal. It's also sometimes available at places like Wal Mart for around $10 for a 2 1/2 gal tote, or in bulk at places like Flying J, Pilot or Loves for $2.89 a gal. The only problem with the bulk dispensers is that they are all set up to pump only to the left side of the vehicle and almost all current Class A's have the tank on the right (how do you spell PITA??) Also in remote areas like Alaska, availability is very limited with NO bulk dispensers in the state last summer. Associated prices are then as you would imagine. We brought 30 gal with us and were very glad we did. We used it over the 11,000 mile trip, but that was another 240 pounds we had to drag around. If you run out, the engine will de-ratre and you may be able to crawl to somr place where you can get some. The stuff freezes at about 20 degrees but they say it should be OK when it thaws. We'll see as theis winter we're home. Haven't had any maintenance issues.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the junk.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We just ordered a new Entegra that will have DEF after owning a Travel Supreme for 10 years without DEF.

I feel the cost will be minimal and I have been told the mileage might be a tad better than my old 350 ISC, so that might be a trade off.

I was told there is a dash waring light for "low DEF" and we will carry a spare 2.5 gallon jug so no chance of running out. Our salesperson said the DEF tank goes about 5,000 miles between fill up.....I'm good with that.

I have seen posts about the bulk fill being on the wrong side, but I am wondering if the hose can be passed from the DEF pump to the island next door to reach the MH DEF tank?
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Our first and only experience with DEF began with the purchase of a 2013 Expedition. Before buying, I searched online for information, it seemed all of the marketing was positive (of course).

Based in the marketing info, I expected to use 1 gallon of DEF for every 50 gallons of diesel. Or about a 2% ratio. And expected to see the diesel MPG stay the same as my 330 hp CAT or maybe even improve a bit (given that my driving style didnít change).

What I found is the new 360 hp Cummins gets slightly less MPG than the CAT did and the DEF consumption is at 3%. FYI, I spoke to a Cummins tech who told me a DEF ratio from 2-5% is within spec.

Cost of DEF --- when I can , I purchased DEF in bulk for about $2.80 per gallon. Otherwise I buy DEF in 2.5 gallon containers at between $12 and $15.

So far, I havenít had to do any maintenance on the DEF system.

Iím sure other have different experiences & commentsÖ
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi brobox,
The answer to your question about the pump hose being long enough to get to the passenger side of the coach is no. The pumps I have seen are designed for vehicles having the DEF and fuel fillers close to each other on the driver's side.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
We just ordered a new Entegra that will have DEF after owning a Travel Supreme for 10 years without DEF.

I have seen posts about the bulk fill being on the wrong side, but I am wondering if the hose can be passed from the DEF pump to the island next door to reach the MH DEF tank?
Congrats on the new coach.

We've used the pump on the island next door at an occasional truck stop, but with 3 or more trucks waiting at each pump, this is not the way to make friends with your neighboring trucker. The DEF hose is too short to pass it over the hitch and pump. Some even try going in the wrong way. Like I said, a ROYAL PITA
Old 02-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought two 5 gal red gas cans and fill them at the pump for bulk price when I also fill the on board tank. This I do by turning around in the island and pump directly into it. I have found the truck islands will have a slow time during the week end hours when many of the truckers are at home. It has not been a problem if the times are picked carefully. Beyond that I have not had any maintainence.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #9

I wonder about shelf life of DEF. Many MHs are used just a few miles a year And I've seen DPs 10 years old with as few as 3000 miles on them. From what I was able to google, shelf life is 1 year if exposed to above 90 degrees, 2 years is less than 90. What's gonna happen as DEF degrades in the slightly used MHs that were filled when new?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Good question about shelf like - never thought of that...
and I'm POSITIVE the bureau-idjuts didn't

I can tell you my last 2 pickups had def and never had an issue -
bought my 1st jug at a gas station and said to heck with that !!!
expensive, heavy, hard to handle, etc....
$2.79 at any pilot/flying J, love's, truck stops...

I'm guessing the 5 gallon tank lasted about 7500 miles when I tried stretching it, but chose not to since it's just easier to fill up when I pass one of the bulk stations in my travels... (have the pilot app on our cell just in case)

Hardly even think about def now !
Old 02-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have been using bulk DEF from truck stops by going at night when they aren't busy and turning around the Mh. Want to fill up a 5 gallon portable tank like someone suggested but have been advised that the bulk pumps won't dispense into a plastic portable tank. Anyone have any info if that is true or not?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
I also have been using bulk DEF from truck stops by going at night when they aren't busy and turning around the Mh. Want to fill up a 5 gallon portable tank like someone suggested but have been advised that the bulk pumps won't dispense into a plastic portable tank. Anyone have any info if that is true or not?
Haven't had that problem at Flying J or Pilot. I heard that Loves has that type of nozzle. You can buy a magnetic ring that goes around the nozzle that allows dispensing into any container.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
No problems for Me. It works well into plastic. I also believe the shelf life is not a problem as long as the sun's exposure is minimal. Since running low in the tank is seldom a problem not overstocking so be the answer for those that do not travel much.