RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #1

Added voltage to slide motors

My slide motors work fine when the coach engine is pushing higher voltage via the alternator, as well as work fine when the sun is out (pushing solar voltage) or the charger is pushing voltage into the batteries.
I wonder if there is a way to have a switch next to the slide out switch that could be held on while running the slides to increase the voltage to the motors allowing them to run smoother. Sometimes the batteries are charged at 100% and no extra voltage is being pushed that way as well as starting the coach to run the slide in or out just does not make sense.
Just thinking out loud

will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With engine running you should be at 13.2v. Engine off 12.6
13.2 should be plenty. If not get alternator checked.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Have you had the battery(s) load checked?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
All motor home manuals tell you to run the engine when moving slides. WHY?? They draw a lot of current. Chassis (cranking batteries) are OK with high current demand for a short period of draw, like engine cranking. However if you run three slides in with no added current they might get to weak to crank the engine.

Bottom line it simple. The manufacturers don't want you to drain your engine batteries then not have enough cranking current to start your MH. Most batteries will handle it while they are new. When they get a few years on them the may fail.

Your batteries are only charged while plugged in, engine or genny running. There's no magic switch you can add except starting your engine.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
All motor home manuals tell you to run the engine when moving slides. WHY?? They draw a lot of current. Chassis (cranking batteries) are OK with high current demand for a short period of draw, like engine cranking. However if you run three slides in with no added current they might get to weak to crank the engine.

Bottom line it simple. The manufacturers don't want you to drain your engine batteries then not have enough cranking current to start your MH. Most batteries will handle it while they are new. When they get a few years on them the may fail.

Your batteries are only charged while plugged in, engine or genny running. There's no magic switch you can add except starting your engine.
I've only had two motor homes, but neither required running the engine to move slides. In fact, most Monaco products cannot move the slides with the ignition switch on. Good batteries is the key. Run the generator if needed,
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The OP wanted to know if there was a magic switch he could install to provide extra voltage/current to move the slides.

The point is you still need to supply voltage for the slides and also for the leveling jacks. It's usually easier (common sense) to just start the engine. WHY?? First of all 95% of the time we/you are either arriving at a camp sight and the engine is running or leaving a camp sight and the engine should be running or warming up.

Starting the genny is OK but most surge guards have a waiting period before they kick on the power.

We all realize the key is good battery's. Even after 2-3 years most batteries will/may begin to loose their capacity to deliver full current. That's just the nature of wet cell batteries. What's not clear about the manufacturers not wanting you to have a dead battery??? They want you to supply power while moving the slides and the leveling jacks which are two things you always do when setting up and leaving a CG.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
I wonder if there is a way to have a switch next to the slide out switch that could be held on while running the slides to increase the voltage to the motors allowing them to run smoother.
My motorhome has such a switch on the dash. It's labeled "IGNITION".
Old 06-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
To answer the OP's question. No there is no way to increase the chassis or coach battery voltage by adding a switch. The only way to increase the voltage is to have a power source across the batteries that the slide motors are powered from.

Rather than the magic button, perhaps a small neat label right next to the slide switch that says: "RUN ENGINE WHEN OPERATING SLIDES".

Before I am flamed - this is ONLY for coaches that say "RUN ENGINE WHEN OPERATING SLIDES" in their owner's manual. Like Winnebagos, for example. Winnebago's power the slide motors from the CHASSIS 12 volt power system. So, at least on Winnebago's whenever you run the engine you raise the voltage provided to the slide motors from 12.3 to 12.6 volts, depending on when the chassis battery was last charged, volts to 13.8 to 14.2 volts.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:02 AM   #9

I am surprised that the mfgs haven't put in an interlock to force you to run the engine when using the slides.

We need to run the engine for the slides and for the levelers. For the minute or 2 we need to run the engine it is no big deal.

Leaving: We start the engine, push the control to bring down the satellite, bring in the slides, bring up the jacks and go.

Setting up: We go to our site; with engine running level, puth the control to bring up the satellite, take out th slides and turn the engine off.

This takes all of 1-2 minutes each time.

Why do people not want to run their engine? I just don't understand the reasoning.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:22 AM   #10

I think the replies have not understood my post. My batteries are less than a year old and fully charged. The slides work, just slower than when the engine is running. I would imagine the 12.6 volts, with nothing running is taxed due to holding the brake off as well as running the slide motor . AND YES THERE ARE TIMES SUCH AS A BIG STORM BLOWING IN THAT I WILL CLOSE MY SLIDES. I could start my engine to have the alternator push the 13.2 or such higher voltage (and it does make a huge performance difference ) and then turn it off two minutes later, but why. Again, when plugged in and the batteries are fully charged, the charger is not pushing enough extra voltage to make any difference.
There is a boost switch for starting the engine, that ties the coach batteries to the chassis batteries. I know that does not increase voltage but the extra amps would keep the voltage from dropping under load.
My initial thought was to have some voltage source (maybe AC powered) that could push 13.2 volts to the motor when I push my MAGIC switch.
By the way its not really magic, its science.
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #11

Holding the boost switch, while on shore, power would do it but so would a bi- directional isolation relay control ( BIRD ), in place of what you have.

Here is a liink.
https://www.prvparts.com/product-p/42262.htm

It will close your boost solenoid, automaticly, when on shore power.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
,,, My initial thought was to have some voltage source (maybe AC powered) that could push 13.2 volts to the motor when I push my MAGIC switch. By the way its not really magic, its science.
You do have a magical box that does just that called a charger/converter. Anytime the coach is plugged in or the generator is running you should a few extra DC volts some extra amps available. Just be aware that power leads to the motor are not going to be much more than may be 12 gauge and add in any distance from the power source that even with a few volts your gain at the motor will probably be marginal.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #13

[QUOTE=Sweetbriar;4249325]You do have a magical box that does just that called a charger/converter. Anytime the coach is plugged in or the generator is running you should a few extra DC volts some extra amps available. Just be aware that power leads to the motor are not going to be much more than may be 12 gauge and add in any distance from the power source that even with a few volts your gain at the motor will probably be marginal.[/QUO

Delete
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #14

Added voltage to slide motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
All motor home manuals tell you to run the engine when moving slides WHY?? They draw a lot of current...

You should be more careful about making blanket statements like this. I NEVER run the engine when I operate my slides or jacks. Why? Because I don’t have to! How do I know that? I read this marvelous book called the “Owners Manual.” It’s amazing what you can find in there.

The hydraulic pump draws less than 40 amps. The microwave draws more than that...

A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide