Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
That sounds like a good plan. I suggest you put the new battery in the center of the battery bank(#2 position)
Good advice. My thoughts too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
OK, my misunderstanding. Sorry. But I will tell you that it does not make any difference where you hook up that power feed or charging line on positive or negative side of batteries in parallel. 3 inches or 6 inches or a foot of 3 or 4 gauge cable is not seen by the voltage or current as being any different. Maybe in theory 3" or 6" of cable that large of a guage makes a difference but not in reality.
the connectors have no bearing on the problem. In school they taught electricty in terms of water. Think of the three batteries as three glasses of water. two glasses are half full and the third glass is full. if you have a hole in the bottom of the glasses and a hose connecting all three. when you open the water valves and allow the water to flow. the fullest glass will go down and the two low ones will rise. The low ones are drawing off the fullest one. This is what is going to happen if he puts a new battery with two old ones. This is not theory, this is science.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, lots of good info which has now raised another question in my mind. When we are not on the road, we are plugged in at home, 24/7 and have been for 2 years. My smart charger takes care of the house batteries and the chassis battery, and keeps them up to the proper state of charge. I check water levels regularly and only once in 2 years have I added water, (distilled). Here is the question, when I introduce a newer battery into the picture, what is my smart charger going to be thinking?

Thanks
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Bluegrass,

That would depend on the age and number of the other batteries, and where in the battery bank the new battery is placed. Old batteries lose capacity and tend to charge faster. If your old batteries are only two years old and not sulfated you should not have a problem. On the other hand if your old batteries are 6 years old you might want to rethink you strategy.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
the connectors have no bearing on the problem. In school they taught electricty in terms of water. Think of the three batteries as three glasses of water. two glasses are half full and the third glass is full. if you have a hole in the bottom of the glasses and a hose connecting all three. when you open the water valves and allow the water to flow. the fullest glass will go down and the two low ones will rise. The low ones are drawing off the fullest one. This is what is going to happen if he puts a new battery with two old ones. This is not theory, this is science.
When the batteries are connected they act as a whole IF you put the pos feed on the first one and the neg feed on the last one. This is the right way to do it. If you hook up the 2 feeds to the first battery then the batteries don't act as a total sum.

If you hook up the pos and neg posts to the new one first the charger will feed off the new one and decide when that one is full. The older batteries will not be fully charged.

If you hook up the pos and neg to an old battery the charger will think they are not charged and will over charge the new battery.

If you place the new battery in the middle you have a better chance of charging all 3 equally. In your theory the new battery has less to fill up because it's new so the old batteries don't get as much a charge if you use the new one as the starting point and if you use the new one first the old ones don't get fully charged. If you use the old one first the new one will get over-charged.

It's science and called deil-pole negativity which explains why a new battery is different and acts different from an old one.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
When all else fails...

When you get tired of trying to figure out what to do, check out this site for pretty much everything for batteries and related topics. RV Electrical
Old 06-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter
OK Ga traveler if what you are saying is true then my eight 6 volts batteries hooked in four sets of two in series will not work yet I have no problems. Also it doesn't make any difference if you hook the charger up and pwer feed to the inner battery battery or the outer batteries. Those batteries cables are big enough that the electrons don't know maybe if you used 12 guage wire it would make adifference. Again my setup would not work if that was so. This is not theoretical physics, this is applied
A bank of 12 volt batteries will "work" if you connect the coach positive and negative to any battery. It will "work better" if you connect to the opposite ends of the bank. Check any of the various sources on battery bank wiring. It's always recommended to attach to the opposite ends of the bank.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

We are only talking about a three battery bank and there is not enough resistance in that short length of a battery cable joining the three batteries together to make any difference. What are be talking about here.....6" of battery cable. Maybe is a larger multi battery bank but not three plus we not draw max current all the time, only in short bursts so we are not maxing out the current flow capability of that shorst 3 or 4 guage cable. Sometimes it is possible to get too wound up in the theoretical side vice the applied side and sometimes make thing to complicated or too difficult.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We are only talking about a three battery bank and there is not enough resistance in that short lengthe of a battery cable joining the three batteries together to make any difference. What are be talking about here.....6" of battery cable.
PLUS the internal resistance of each battery. Not saying it make a huge difference but why not just do it the correct way?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

There we go trying to make is difficult again. What has the internal resistance of the battery have to do with the external battery to battery connection?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
There we go trying to make is difficult again. What has the internal resistance of the battery have to do with the external battery to battery connection?
How do electrons flow from the positive to the negative terminals of a battery? Through the battery. The internals of the battery have to affect the flow of current from positive to negative. the current does not just "skip" across the external terminals. That is why is always suggested to hook up to opposite ends of the bank. This way your charger sees the bank as a single load.

You're saying it makes no significant difference. I'm saying it makes a small difference. Why not just hook it up so there is no question of weather or not the small difference matters?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, this is just going too far and making somebodies simple question just too complicated.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Ok, this is just going too far and making somebodies simple question just too complicated.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
How do electrons flow from the positive to the negative terminals of a battery? Through the battery. The internals of the battery have to affect the flow of current from positive to negative. the current does not just "skip" across the external terminals. That is why is always suggested to hook up to opposite ends of the bank. This way your charger sees the bank as a single load.

You're saying it makes no significant difference. I'm saying it makes a small difference. Why not just hook it up so there is no question of weather or not the small difference matters?
Thanks! It makes a big difference. The electrical charge goes THRU each battery so if you hook up to just the first one with both cables the charger only "sees" the first battery.... It is simple.....

Tags
battery