Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Apparently you now have 3-way switches that directly power the pump, but the best way to handle multiple switches is with a pump control relay. The switches simply tell the controller that you want the pump activated and the controller does the actual power switching. That would mean a complete rewiring, though.

Here is one popular pump controller:
search

Another alternative is adding a wireless remote to an existing switch, and using the remote at the new location. The common ones are fey fb types, though, so not sure your wife will be able to use those easily.

Amazon.com: 1 Channel Wireless Controller (On/Off) 12V Electronics 15 Amp High Power: Electronics
Thanks for the links
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
So what all is involved in converting over to one of these relay units? What kind of switches do I need? What has to be or redone with the wiring?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
DC 12V 10A Relay 1CH Wireless RF Remote Control Switch Transmitter Receiver New | eBay

Here is a possible solution. A wireless switch. Just velcro the key fob in a convenient location.
I've seen these before. Wiring them up is where I get stuck. If the switch has 12 volts in the center and the outer 2 are travelers, which traveler gets the 12 volts from the wireless module? Or do you hook it to both of them?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #18
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I've seen these before. Wiring them up is where I get stuck. If the switch has 12 volts in the center and the outer 2 are travelers, which traveler gets the 12 volts from the wireless module? Or do you hook it to both of them?

I would have to see the device. It probably has a simple relay output and you can supply 12 volts to on contact or ground and then output it to the water pump circuit.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The inside switch has a separate indicator light, no light in the switch in the water bay. The switches are not momentary. The only way into the half bathroom is behind the vanity. The only way to get behind the vanity is to take the sink out. Did that once, it can be done again. Is there any reason I just can't piggy back another switch onto the switch in the water bay?
If you turn the pump on with one switch, can you turn it off with the other switch?
if not, then yes, you can piggy back a switch.

If yes, then you need s 6 terminal switch which can connect to wet bay switch.

Look up How To Wire A 3way Switch with google, and then adding a 4way switch.

Dan
Old 05-17-2016, 04:35 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
If you turn the pump on with one switch, can you turn it off with the other switch?
if not, then yes, you can piggy back a switch.

If yes, then you need s 6 terminal switch which can connect to wet bay switch.

Look up How To Wire A 3way Switch with google, and then adding a 4way switch.

Dan
One switch can turn on and the other can turn off, 3 wires at each switch, 12 volt wire and 2 travelers. I checked 4 way switch wiring diagrams on Google and then attempted to find a 12 volt 4 way switch. None to be found. Based on the diagrams I'm seeing, wouldn't a DPDT switch do the same thing? Connect the middle terminals together and then run the travelers through the top and bottom terminals. Am I missing some special function of the 4 way switch that this won't accomplish?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:59 AM   #21

There is another option.

I picked up a small, 2 gallon pressure tank and push fit tee from Home Depot. I cut into the cold water system under the sink in a dead space. With PEX pipe, you could put it anywhere.

I did this to cut down on pump cycling but discovered we could get 3 or 4 flushs, with out the pump running. Now we travel with the pump off.

Just be sure it is designed for potable water.
Attached Images

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Adding a third water pump switch

Quote:
One switch can turn on and the other can turn off, 3 wires at each switch, 12 volt wire and 2 travelers. I checked 4 way switch wiring diagrams on Google and then attempted to find a 12 volt 4 way switch. None to be found. Based on the diagrams I'm seeing, wouldn't a DPDT switch do the same thing? Connect the middle terminals together and then run the travelers through the top and bottom terminals. Am I missing some special function of the 4 way switch that this won't accomplish?

Here is another option for you.

Use one of the remote control relays that is a simple on/off. You have been given some examples in prior posts.

since you are just worried about having the pump on in certain situations, don't mess with the existing switches or wiring as it works now. Simply use the remote relay to cut the 12 volt feed to the pump when you want.

Then leave one of your existing switches turned "on" and cut the power with the remote control when you want.

This method won't turn on the pump if the other switches are set to "off"....however this isn't a problem since you will know how it works.

It is also easy to undo this modification when the time comes to trade in or sell the coach.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Here is another option for you.

Use one of the remote control relays that is a simple on/off. You have been given some examples in prior posts.

since you are just worried about having the pump on in certain situations, don't mess with the existing switches or wiring as it works now. Simply use the remote relay to cut the 12 volt feed to the pump when you want.

Then leave one of your existing switches turned "on" and cut the power with the remote control when you want.

This method won't turn on the pump if the other switches are set to "off"....however this isn't a problem since you will know how it works.

It is also easy to undo this modification when the time comes to trade in or sell the coach.
So, your saying that the remote relay would be installed on the positive side of the pump line after the switches. Turn the pump on with the inside switch and then the remote becomes a wireless on and off switch for the pump.

I like it.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, you can use a DPDT switch.
I think you understand how to wire it.

In your current setup, the wires you call travelers, are basically parallel wires, and only one at a time is being used.

If you went to your RV and swapped the connection of the travelers, the pump would toggle to the opposite state. With the DPDT switch, you want to cut the travelers, then use the new switch to restore the connection. When the new switch is thrown, it basically swaps the travelers.

Let me know if this makes sense, or I can draw a diagram.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So, your saying that the remote relay would be installed on the positive side of the pump line after the switches. Turn the pump on with the inside switch and then the remote becomes a wireless on and off switch for the pump.

I like it.

Thanks
Remember, if you do this, the remote becomes a master switch. When on, the other switches work as normal, when off, other switches are useless.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Forgot to add.
To wire the DPDT switch, take 2 short wires and connect the corner terminals in a X configuration.

This lets the switch "cross" connect the travelers.
then cut one traveler and connect one end to center terminal, and the other end to a end terminal.
Repeat for other traveler.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 05-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Remember, if you do this, the remote becomes a master switch. When on, the other switches work as normal, when off, other switches are useless.

Regards,

Dan
This is going to be the easiest way to add the third switch. Granted, it will be the master switch but as long as we don't forget how we redid the wiring we should be OK. I have a remote relay on order from EBay.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Forgot to add.
To wire the DPDT switch, take 2 short wires and connect the corner terminals in a X configuration.

This lets the switch "cross" connect the travelers.
then cut one traveler and connect one end to center terminal, and the other end to a end terminal.
Repeat for other traveler.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Thanks for the help

Tags
water, water pump