Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Adding a third water pump switch

My Coachmen RV has 2 bathrooms and only one pump switch inside. It's located in a cabinet above the TV. Has a very small switch too. My wife has vision issues and it's very hard for her to see which switch is the pump switch. We turn the pump on and off as we need it while on the road. I have labeled the switch but it's still not enough for her. I'd like to add another switch in the half bathroom (the only one we use on the road) or possibly relocate the existing one. We have a total of 2 switches(inside and wet bay), they are wired with 3 wires, a hot in the center and travelers on the outer terminals. I have seen a few websites that show how to add another switch with a DPDT switch. My problem is getting the wiring into the half bathroom. The cabinets are sealed up pretty good. Another idea was some kind of wireless remote DPDT relay that I could wire up in the wet bay and have the remote in the half bath. I haven't been able to find a wireless DPDT relay though.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Thanks

Fred

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #2

I understand why you want to reposition the switch but wouldn't it be simpler just to extend the existing wires and move the switch to say the bottom of the cabinet? It would stand alone and be more reachable and probably you have to walk past this to get to the 1/2 bath.
Lynn

Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #3

How about using wire molding which hides the wires?

I curious why you turn yhe pump off. I leave mine on continuously.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post

X2. Really only need to turn the pump off if you will be away from the coach for an extended time, and wish to err on the side of caution. (Turning pump off is like turning off water main at your sticks and bricks house......if a plumbing leak develops, the water won't leak as much)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I do the same thing. With the road noise and the main engine running you won't hear the pump or the water flow if you develop a catastrophic leak. I also turn off the pump overnight. When connected to campground water, I turn that off whenever the coach is left unattended.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If the water bay is under the bathroom you can probably follow the water pipes up and into the vanity. I know they make what is called a pump controller or latching relay. The controller is designed to enable turning the pump off and on from multiple location. I think if you wanted to add a third switch without the controller you would need to change the two switches you have to a three way switch configuration and add the third switch.

Here is one video I found that may help.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Crankshaft, does your current switch have a indicator light built in?

With three terminals, you have a SPDT.

Is it s momentary switch?

To run wires, don't be affraid to drop wires inyo the basement, thrn up into ghe bathroom.

Dan
Old 05-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently you now have 3-way switches that directly power the pump, but the best way to handle multiple switches is with a pump control relay. The switches simply tell the controller that you want the pump activated and the controller does the actual power switching. That would mean a complete rewiring, though.

Here is one popular pump controller:
search

Another alternative is adding a wireless remote to an existing switch, and using the remote at the new location. The common ones are fey fb types, though, so not sure your wife will be able to use those easily.

Amazon.com: 1 Channel Wireless Controller (On/Off) 12V Electronics 15 Amp High Power: Electronics
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is another latching relay. Intellitec Water Pump Controller, 10 Amp, Latching, 00-00145-100
Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Just add a wireless controller behind the main switch and hang the button remote in the bathroom.

$20 and no running wires.

http://m.outletpc.com/c7265.html?gcl...Jo0aArqi8P8HAQ
Old 05-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DC 12V 10A Relay 1CH Wireless RF Remote Control Switch Transmitter Receiver New | eBay

Here is a possible solution. A wireless switch. Just velcro the key fob in a convenient location.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I understand why you want to reposition the switch but wouldn't it be simpler just to extend the existing wires and move the switch to say the bottom of the cabinet? It would stand alone and be more reachable and probably you have to walk past this to get to the 1/2 bath.
Lynn
That was my first choice and there were 3 possible locations for it. However, it wouldn't look the best with a switch on the front of an entertainment center. It may come down to this unless something wireless can be done. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
How about using wire molding which hides the wires?

I curious why you turn the pump off. I leave mine on continuously.
See the reply from JXFG. I just don't trust the plumbing in the RV 100% of the time. If there was an indicator on the dashboard for the pump I'd leave it on all the time. We always shut off camp water too when we leave for the day.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Crankshaft, does your current switch have a indicator light built in?

With three terminals, you have a SPDT.

Is it s momentary switch?

To run wires, don't be affraid to drop wires inyo the basement, thrn up into ghe bathroom.

Dan
The inside switch has a separate indicator light, no light in the switch in the water bay. The switches are not momentary. The only way into the half bathroom is behind the vanity. The only way to get behind the vanity is to take the sink out. Did that once, it can be done again. Is there any reason I just can't piggy back another switch onto the switch in the water bay?

Tags
water, water pump