Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Adding additional house batteries

We are looking that the Thor Tuscany as an alternative to the American Coach Revolution. The one issue is that the Thor only has 4 house batteries vs. the 8 in the Revolution. The Thor only has a 2000 watt inverter and the AR a 2800 watt inverter.

I believe there is enough room to add 4 additional batteries, but how or does that change the charging profile? Would also like to consider upgrading the converter to 2800 W as well.

Am I just spinning my wheels. The main reason I am interested in additional batteries is that we also plan to add solar and 4 more would double our storage capacity.

As always, thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Rg

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
It would be a lot easier to just buy the Revolution but I guess you prefer the Thor for other reasons.

You need to think about where to place the extra batteries, They will have to be vented if they are wet cell batteries. It would be much easier to use AGM batteries, but then all 8 would need to be AGM. Among the many advantages of AGM is that you can mount them anywhere with no spillage and no venting required. I think your 2000 watt inverter/charger will work fine as long as it has a setting for the higher number of amp hrs, and has an AGM charging profile. Of course it will take twice as long to charge the batteries, and of course a 2000W inverter will not handle as much load as a 2800W inverter, so you will have to be a little careful as to how many electric draws you are using at once.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Changing the inverter will mean some wiring changes also. First of all the wires to the batteries will have to be changed to heavier wires. Second of all some 2800 watt inverters have dual input 115 volt wires while 2000 only has a single wire so that will have to be changed.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Changing the inverter will mean some wiring changes also. First of all the wires to the batteries will have to be changed to heavier wires.
without knowing what's there & the distance that may be incorrect
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #5

Assuming it has a magnum ms series inverter like the Revolution, the 2000w is a 100 amp charger vs a 125 amp on the 2800w version. Typically you would not charge at the full rate anyway for best battery longevity, so it's irrelevant. I use the recommended 50amp rate for my 8 battery's on my 14 Rev, so either would do exactly the same thing.

I would prefer the 2800 if I were you, but I doubt it would make much difference. These all electric coaches with aquahot heat and LED TVs don't really need much juice to run when boondocking.

Also, the total amp hours of the battery bank is what matters, not the number of batteries. If the Thor has 4 larger batteries, maybe it's a non issue.

As a side note, I am very happy with my 14 Revolution.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #6

If the space is there adding 4 batteries would not be hard at all. He wiring is not rocket science. I wouldn't let that be an issue. Buy the coach you like best and tweak the little things later.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubulin View Post
Typically you would not charge at the full rate anyway for best battery longevity, so it's irrelevant. I use the recommended 50amp rate for my 8 battery's on my 14 Rev, so either would do exactly the same thing.

Not sure where that info is from, it doesn't matter how big the charger is, the charge rate is based on the settings for for bulk and float.

those setting can be found from the battery manufacturers site

Better yet just add solar and forget all this stuff
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For this post I will assume the batteries are Six Volt GC-2 type.. However if you read this post right it works for G-12' (12 volt) as well).

Six volt battery,, I normally type this ={bat}t{ery}+ 12 volts

You take two batteries, wire them in series and together the pair makes one big 12 volt battery. -{BATTERY}+

Now, When you have two of these you wire them like this

-{BATTERY}+
-{BATTERY}+

(All negatives connect together and all positives)

If you have more

-{BATTERY}+
-{BATTERY}+
-{BATTERY}+
-{BATTERY}+

Same thing.

Just remember if using six volt you pair them first so they make a 12 volt battery. Always think of the pair as a single 12 volt battery.

Can I replace just one (Can you replace 1/2 of a 12 volt battery)
Do they have to be the same age (Would you want a 12 volt 2 different ages) Size, Type, and so on and so forth.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All Amer Coach batteries are AGM.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
without knowing what's there & the distance that may be incorrect
You are correct without knowing what is there that might be incorrect. However what I have seen of inverter/converters you might have to add another 115v leg because one leg might not be wired heavily enough to carry the increased amperage of a larger battery charger. Also a 2800 will probably have 25 or 30 amp circuits versus 15 or 20. If the entire 2800 watts is used in the inverter then you will probably need larger wires going to the battery bank to carry the increased current. The OP asked what he will need to do. I am giving him a worst case scenario for the wiring. If he really wanted to find out exactly what it would cost he could go to the coaches and have someone give him an exact quote on what it cost to change over. I would much rather tell him he is going to need new wiring and have him figure that into his calculations than tell him that he will not need them and then find out that is an additional cost after he makes his decision
Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Not sure where that info is from, it doesn't matter how big the charger is, the charge rate is based on the settings for for bulk and float.

those setting can be found from the battery manufacturers site

Better yet just add solar and forget all this stuff

Ther are no settings for float and bulk on the magnum MS series inverters. You set the max charge rate in % of charger output and the battery type and it does the rest. My bank is about 900 amp hours so I use the recommended bank size/20 charge rate which is 45 amps. The closest setting is 40% of max rate on the 2800w magnum.

My point is that the 2000w could easily charge a typical 8 battery bank (like mine) at twice the optimal charge rate, so the OP doesn't need to worry about the 2000w not having enough juice.

I didn't pull the numbers out of the sky.......

Tags
batteries, house batteries