Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
.....but I always have and always will start mine up and let it run for 5-10 minutes before I take off.
Just as a suggestion you might want to check with your engine manufacturer about this practice. I know it is not recommended for my Cummins ISC.
__________________

__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
What about the Milton-S506-Dual-Inflator-Guage to go along with a good air compressor. This is the old time version with great reviews. Anybody using this one.

Thanks

Amazon.com: Milton S506 Dual Head Inflator Gauge with 12" Air Hose: Automotive
__________________

__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Member
 
Huck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Galveston,Texas,USA
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Just as a suggestion you might want to check with your engine manufacturer about this practice. I know it is not recommended for my Cummins ISC.
What's the difference between idling for 5-10 minutes and driving slowly until it warms up? I ask the cummins dealer and his answer was "beats me", if that is going to kill my engine then it will never live thru LA traffic.
__________________
2012 Newell Quad Slide ISX 650
12sp ZF AS Tronic Trans
and all the goodies they would put in it
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck

What's the difference between idling for 5-10 minutes and driving slowly until it warms up? I ask the cummins dealer and his answer was "beats me", if that is going to kill my engine then it will never live thru LA traffic.
Okay...I'll take the bait.

1) IF, in your mind, there is NO difference between idling in the campground and driving slowly down the road....WHY do feel it is necessary to warm-up your engine in the campground where it may bother your neighbours?

2) If you are going to check and air-up your tires ....WHY is it such an inconvenience to drive to the campground entrance where you can spend all day trying to trick your 400hp compressor into reaching the proper tire PSI and not bother anyone in the process?

I"m just having trouble understanding your rather aggressive "entitlement" attitude as it relates to having consideration for others.
__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
Member
 
Huck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Galveston,Texas,USA
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

Okay...I'll take the bait.

1) IF, in your mind, there is NO difference between idling in the campground and driving slowly down the road....WHY do feel it is necessary to warm-up your engine in the campground where it may bother your neighbours?

2) If you are going to check and air-up your tires ....WHY is it such an inconvenience to drive to the campground entrance where you can spend all day trying to trick your 400hp compressor into reaching the proper tire PSI and not bother anyone in the process?

I"m just having trouble understanding your rather aggressive "entitlement" attitude as it relates to having consideration for others.
I understand you, it is what it is. If you ever pull into a campground and they park you next to a Newell you might want to have them move you because it may be me
__________________
2012 Newell Quad Slide ISX 650
12sp ZF AS Tronic Trans
and all the goodies they would put in it
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
HicksRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
What about the Milton-S506-Dual-Inflator-Guage to go along with a good air compressor. This is the old time version with great reviews. Anybody using this one.

Thanks

Amazon.com: Milton S506 Dual Head Inflator Gauge with 12" Air Hose: Automotive
This: Amazon.com: Milton 501 Hi-Pressure Inflator Gauge with 5' Hose: Automotive
is a better one with a straight head. The regular dual head inflators won't work on my coach.
__________________
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
reubenray's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake Osprey RV Resort, Elberta, AL
Posts: 2,745
This is the one I picked up today.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1.5-g...&blockType=G33

They are being discontinued for some reason. I was already looking at this model. When I saw that a fellow camper had one and he highly recommended it for his much bigger tires I ordered it.

Also my MH is a gas rig.
__________________
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro (Sold) - 2017 Ventana LE 4037 -
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
Member
 
JohnH59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 67
I use the coach compressor when I'm isolated or at our storage facility. To compensate for the compressor equalizing before I get my fronts up to the 105#s I want, I made this air chuck I saw on a web site somewhere. When the pressure gets close to what the tire pressure is, I open the valve to release air. This causes the compressor to kick on and goes back up to 120#s. Takes a few cycles for the fronts. But, I don't have to take up space in a bay with a compressor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-209700217.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	40188  
__________________
-------
John & Leslie
'97 American Dream
JohnH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
This is the one I picked up today.

8pc. Portable Air Compressor: Take Craftsman Power to Go with Sears

They are being discontinued for some reason. I was already looking at this model. When I saw that a fellow camper had one and he highly recommended it for his much bigger tires I ordered it.

Also my MH is a gas rig.

The Craftsman looks just like this Porter-Cable model listed here on Amazon.com at about the same price.

PORTER-CABLE CMB15 150 PSI 1.5 Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor - Amazon.com
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
reubenray's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake Osprey RV Resort, Elberta, AL
Posts: 2,745
It is - it is also the same one that Lowes has for about $50 more.
__________________
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro (Sold) - 2017 Ventana LE 4037 -
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Just as a suggestion you might want to check with your engine manufacturer about this practice. I know it is not recommended for my Cummins ISC.
Same with ours, start engine, be sure air and oil pressure are up and drive slowly off. Don't use full throttle till the engine is at operating temp. Cummins says not to let the engine idle more than 5 min or put on high idle. Also, in most cases, there is no need to idle for a "cool off". Just coming down an off ramp is enough cool down time under all but very hard pulls at WOT.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 248
Just as a word of caution on the thread, never stand next to your tire when refilling it.

I know that many people use small compressors with a car type inflator that requires you to stand next to and leaning over the tire to inflate. If the tire lets go (and they do, it's called a 'zipper' failure) it can kill you.
There is a huge amount of energy stored in that tire - especially 22.5s

Truckers use a long hose on the end of the gauge and stand back from the tire to inflate.


__________________
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #27
Member
 
Jonnyboy 316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 98
That's a fact Jack...well said.
__________________
Jonnyboy 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
rssnape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Just as a word of caution on the thread, never stand next to your tire when refilling it.

I know that many people use small compressors with a car type inflator that requires you to stand next to and leaning over the tire to inflate. If the tire lets go (and they do, it's called a 'zipper' failure) it can kill you.
There is a huge amount of energy stored in that tire - especially 22.5s

Truckers use a long hose on the end of the gauge and stand back from the tire to inflate.

__________________

__________________
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.