Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Just as a word of caution on the thread, never stand next to your tire when refilling it.

I know that many people use small compressors with a car type inflator that requires you to stand next to and leaning over the tire to inflate. If the tire lets go (and they do, it's called a 'zipper' failure) it can kill you.
There is a huge amount of energy stored in that tire - especially 22.5s

Truckers use a long hose on the end of the gauge and stand back from the tire to inflate.
I ordered this a few days ago from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
I use the coach compressor when I'm isolated or at our storage facility. To compensate for the compressor equalizing before I get my fronts up to the 105#s I want, I made this air chuck I saw on a web site somewhere. When the pressure gets close to what the tire pressure is, I open the valve to release air. This causes the compressor to kick on and goes back up to 120#s. Takes a few cycles for the fronts. But, I don't have to take up space in a bay with a compressor.

I use a setup similar to that too. I air my front tires to 110 PSI and the rear tires to 100 PSI.

I do have consideration for my neighbors. If I am leaving early in the morning I check and air my tires the afternoon before. Notice I said afternoon, not night! I can't imagine anyone being offended by someone running their diesel engine during the day. JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I believe the OP has a gas powered coach.
I learn something new every day on this forum! I didn't know that gas-powered coaches don't have generators!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I learn something new every day on this forum! I didn't know that gas-powered coaches don't have generators!
They may or may not have a generator, but they (generally) won't have a compressor. You need an air suspension or air brakes to have a compressor, and those are generally only found on diesel units.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The intelligent choice when in a campground with full hookups is to carry a $100 compressor. Idling 300-600 HP motor is not just rude, its dangerous. The fumes that are generated during a cold diesel idle are deadly. When you start justifying your "safety" on the road to poison the air your neighbors are breathing, yes, that's being a dinosaur.

Whether you air up in the afternoon, or morning, doesn't matter, its still unsafe for you and everyone around. You can air up using the electricity provided by the campground at your site, your inverter, or, in case neither of those are available, a generator would surely be a better choice than running that big engine 5-10 minutes.

I'm sure the screaming children that offend people at a family campground will live longer and breathe easier if they aren't forced to inhale the poison thrown into the air by the coach next to them.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
It might have something to do with turning on the +300hp compressor with jacks down causes the suspension to air-up and the jacks-down alarm to go crazy,,,, not to mention the excessive noise and diesel fumes directed toward your neighbours....plus idling your engine without driving it to operating temp is not good for it! .
So you do not use the chassis compressor and you drag around a portable compressor to air your tires on the road? If you need to put air in your tires every few days and causing noise to the point that you are a bad neighbor then you have something wrong with your tire(s)! Just saying
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

So you do not use the chassis compressor and you drag around a portable compressor to air your tires on the road? If you need to put air in your tires every few days and causing noise to the point that you are a bad neighbor then you have something wrong with your tire(s)! Just saying
Yes, I agree if you have to air up tires every few days, you don't need a compressor, you need tires. That being said, a compressor is just another tool that is handy to have on board. Not only does it come in handy to air up the occasional low tire, but can be used to inflate other things, operate tools, and other things.

Maybe you are being a "bad neighbor" by inflating your tires with that noisy portable compressor, but you are being a dangerous neighbor starting up that big engine and idling 5-10 minutes.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
Advice taken! But in this video you can clearly see the tire is damaged and the one person points it out to the other and then it turns loose.
You missed the point - I used the video to show the explosive force of a tire letting go. It threw that young guy into the side - imagine what would happen to us old farts if that happened - I can hear the brittle bones snapping

If you Google (or I suppose we might BING) Tire Zipper Failure, you will see that there is quite a lot written about truck tires letting go while being inflated.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Yes, I agree if you have to air up tires every few days, you don't need a compressor, you need tires. That being said, a compressor is just another tool that is handy to have on board. Not only does it come in handy to air up the occasional low tire, but can be used to inflate other things, operate tools, and other things.

Maybe you are being a "bad neighbor" by inflating your tires with that noisy portable compressor, but you are being a dangerous neighbor starting up that big engine and idling 5-10 minutes.
I do not carry around air tools and If I need to inflate an air mattress, bouncy toy, or some other item I have a battery operated, hand held, compressor for that purpose. If I need 150 psi to service my tires, which is not too often, I start my very dangerous engine, that is what it is for otherwise why did the chassis manufacturer install a service manifold to connect an air hose? I am conderate of my neighbors and I think that they would be understanding if I had a low tire that need service. As I said this is not an every day occurrence...

My engine is built to 2010 EPA standards therefore my exhaust is very clean. Standing directly behind the exhaust I can't smell any exhaust fumes.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #38

It seems like every few months we have the portable air compressor vrs the 400hp built-in compressor debate. If space is at a premium or you simply do not like, nor have a need for, yet another piece of equipment on-board, I fully understand the benefit of taking advantage of the Coach compressor. However, if you are going to use this 400hp compressor "in the CG" ....WHY is it so difficult to understand that....

1) The noise & fumes can be quite annoying to your fellow campers (potentially even dangerous)? To ignore this fact is to be"purposefully" inconsiderate?
2) In order to use the Coach compressor it is necessary to (a) retract the slides, (b) air-up the rig suspension, (c) retract the jacks....this takes time and may not be convenient or appropriate if you are planning to check and adjust your tires the day before you leave?
3) In order to use the Coach compressor you need to constantly "bleed" air in order to keep the compressor running and able to supply high enough pressure to achieve +100PSI....and this takes time?
4)) It is not good for your engine to idle and not bring it up to operating temperature?

If none of these factors is a concern .....then by all means use the on-board compressor.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #39
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
Here's another vote for the 150 psi Craftsman. Quick and easy.
Me too.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #40

If I ever end up on a campground where the spaces are so close that idling my engine 5 to 10 minutes is going to kill my neighbor, I'm not staying there.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #41

You have to wonder with the amount of money these big rigs cost why didn't they include an on board compressor for airing up these big tires. There are places they could have built one in out of the way and then have the controls with a hose reel or a connection in one of the bays. It could be wired to run off of 12v or 120v from shore power or generator. How much could that have cost to do. Then we would not need to bring along a stand alone compressor that takes up storage space or start the engine for a task that in most cases is just to top off the air in our tires.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #42

adonh (and others who think that the on-board compressor won't work), watch this video that's been posted here before ...you have to remember that the on-board compressor cycles:

HOW TO: Inflate High Pressure RV Tires - YouTube

Although I carry one of those Craftsman compressors, I usually always use the on-board compressor unless I feel the engine will bother others ...however, that darn Craftsman makes a lot of noise in and of itself! I never need more than 120 psi in my tires anyway so my on-board compressor is fine for all my needs.

Although I have one of those Milton chucks with the 15' hose, I don't use it anymore as I made myself one of those T's that is illustrated in the video. Do I worry about the tire blowing while I top it off? ...no.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires