Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I learn something new every day on this forum! I didn't know that gas-powered coaches don't have generators!
I have a 5500 generator, but no onboard air compressor.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
during the day the outside dually can easily be 5lbs higher then the inside from the sun.

I have been airing up a leaky tire on my truck from the trucks compressor and the best I can get out of it is 110. When you are airing up the tire make sure you stop to let the compressor build back up every minute or so. or get that guage gismo attached to your line.... good video......

Also the video of the guy who gets blown away from the exploding tire...... I was airing up my tire this morning while checking out a sidewall crack ....... a blow out would have removed my head from my shoulders for sure....
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #45

For anyone thinking of adding an auxiliary compressor, the Makita is probably the quietest (79db) of the lot. It is oil bath, and 1720rpm. Does not have that irritating whine of "oil-less", high rpm compressors. I put one in a small sound isolated location, and unless the access door is open, nobody hears anything louder than a low hum. Neighbors never complain. We always air up the entire bus air system before engine starting. THAT'S when everyone in the park wakes up!
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #46

Harry,
What does "usually always" mean?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Harry,
What does "usually always" mean?
hah! I need a proofreader.

As they say "I know that I know nothing."

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Problem with that one is that it doesn't lock onto the stem, you still have to bend down and hold it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
For anyone thinking of adding an auxiliary compressor, the Makita is probably the quietest (79db) of the lot. It is oil bath, and 1720rpm. Does not have that irritating whine of "oil-less", high rpm compressors. I put one in a small sound isolated location, and unless the access door is open, nobody hears anything louder than a low hum. Neighbors never complain. We always air up the entire bus air system before engine starting. THAT'S when everyone in the park wakes up!

Is this it. Great reviews. Where do you stow it.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400.../dp/B0001Q2VPK
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Problem with that one is that it doesn't lock onto the stem, you still have to bend down and hold it.
I did not notice that.What is the value of the 5' hose if it does not lock on. This one locks on but has the short hose.
Milton S516 Window Tire Inflator Gauge : Amazon.com : Automotive
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The intelligent choice when in a campground with full hookups is to carry a $100 compressor. Idling 300-600 HP motor is not just rude, its dangerous. The fumes that are generated during a cold diesel idle are deadly. When you start justifying your "safety" on the road to poison the air your neighbors are breathing, yes, that's being a dinosaur.

Whether you air up in the afternoon, or morning, doesn't matter, its still unsafe for you and everyone around. You can air up using the electricity provided by the campground at your site, your inverter, or, in case neither of those are available, a generator would surely be a better choice than running that big engine 5-10 minutes.

I'm sure the screaming children that offend people at a family campground will live longer and breathe easier if they aren't forced to inhale the poison thrown into the air by the coach next to them.
Wow you sure seem to know a lot about my coach and the 2010 EPA engines. Here I was told by cummins southern plains that the air coming out of the exhaust in many cases is cleaner than the incoming air. Matter of fact the EPA says the same thing. Now how that is dangerous for people 15-20 or more feet away from me is of great interest to me?

As was said earlier others I to have never had to air up a tire before I left a campground but if I did crank up to leave one morning and my TPS says I have a dangerously low tire I promise you I am going to air it up before I leave. If this upsets people I am sorry and as I said before my safety comes before a little inconvenience to someone next to me.

When people make comments about things they really know nothing about that is rude and misleading to others.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post

Wow you sure seem to know a lot about my coach and the 2010 EPA engines. Here I was told by cummins southern plains that the air coming out of the exhaust in many cases is cleaner than the incoming air. Matter of fact the EPA says the same thing. Now how that is dangerous for people 15-20 or more feet away from me is of great interest to me?

As was said earlier others I to have never had to air up a tire before I left a campground but if I did crank up to leave one morning and my TPS says I have a dangerously low tire I promise you I am going to air it up before I leave. If this upsets people I am sorry and as I said before my safety comes before a little inconvenience to someone next to me.

When people make comments about things they really know nothing about that is rude and misleading to others.
This whole conversation can be negated by the exercise of common sense. I've been a full timer for 6 years now. I have never carried an electric compressor. I've never been in a campground where there was not a spot, usually where I hook up my toad where I can't add some air to a tire before I leave without imposing myself on others.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #53

Quote:

Is this it. Great reviews. Where do you stow it.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400.../dp/B0001Q2VPK
Yes it is the MAC2400 model. I installed it in the far right front half bay in front of the RF tire. On a normal bus that would be the entry door and step location, but we have the bus with the rare mid-entry door. The air compressor compartment is plenty roomy enough for two fifty foot air hoses, and accessories. The compressor is mounted on heavy rubber cushions to soften the vibration and noise. Also I used lead foam sound barrier in the compartment just like in the generator compartment.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #54
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
This whole conversation can be negated by the exercise of common sense. I've been a full timer for 6 years now. I have never carried an electric compressor. I've never been in a campground where there was not a spot, usually where I hook up my toad where I can't add some air to a tire before I leave without imposing myself on others.
Steve, that's good advice! That way you completely eliminate the possibility of annoying other folks!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #55

Quote:
I did not notice that.What is the value of the 5' hose if it does not lock on. This one locks on but has the short hose.
Milton S516 Window Tire Inflator Gauge : Amazon.com : Automotive
That one has an angled head rather than the straight head. The angled head won't work on my coach. I have the other one with the straight head and 5 foot hose and it does lock onto the stem. As you imply, otherwise, you'd need 4 foot arms to get use out of the 5 foot hose......
Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #56

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I didn't want to carry a compressor for the remote possibility that I might need it when I have a built in compressor. As for inflating to 120 LBS I bought a multipier...
Bob Dickman Tire Center - Les Schwab Dealer located in Junction City, Oregon

No more relasing air pressure to get below the kick on for the compressor to start back up.
I've never had to add air at a campgound yet. Not saying could never happen. :-)
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires