Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Adding Air to Tires??

When I was prepping the MH for our first trip I had one tire that was about 5 pounds lower than the others. But it was still in the safe range. My aging compressor would not bring it up. I now have a new compressor for it. Prior to taking our next leg of our trip I want to get the tires all the same.

Will I need to lower the leveling jacks in order to do this? When I did the initial test I did not have the leveling jacks down. I want to check it early in the morning the day before we leave.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've never lowered the jacks to put air in. You simply need a compressor that will pump to a higher PSI than what is required by the tires. We use a Bostitch CAP1512 (under $150) that reaches about 150 psi. It works great.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Pressure is the same. Remember the tire shop sets the pressure before they are mounted. Check the "5#" tire later to see if it is holding. I had a valve extension with a very slow leak.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Why aren't you using the compressor on the MH?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It might have something to do with turning on the +300hp compressor with jacks down causes the suspension to air-up and the jacks-down alarm to go crazy,,,, not to mention the excessive noise and diesel fumes directed toward your neighbours....plus idling your engine without driving it to operating temp is not good for it! .
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

My compliments on your concern for your fellow campers--if more folks felt the way you do about excessively running your engine in the park[ie pumping tires, warming the engine, etc], we'd all benefit. Plz note if you use a amaller compressor [usually includes a reserve tank] vs an inflator, you may get in the situation where the air pressure in your tire is above the cut-on pressure for the compressor--eg. your compressor equalizes with your tire and the pump wont restart despite having an upper limit of 150PSI--took me awhile to figure this one out.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
My compliments on your concern for your fellow campers--if more folks felt the way you do about excessively running your engine in the park[ie pumping tires, warming the engine, etc], we'd all benefit. Plz note if you use a amaller compressor [usually includes a reserve tank] vs an inflator, you may get in the situation where the air pressure in your tire is above the cut-on pressure for the compressor--eg. your compressor equalizes with your tire and the pump wont restart despite having an upper limit of 150PSI--took me awhile to figure this one out.
The way I've solved this problem in the past is to remove the chuck from the valve stem and manually press in the pin on the chuck to let air out of the compressor until it starts again. Then put the chuck back on the tire while the compressor is running. It will run until it (and the tire) reaches max pressure.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My success with using the engine compressor is very limited. I can't do my front tires at all (110 lb), and the main/tag take forever. I finally gave up and bought a real compressor.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

It might have something to do with turning on the +300hp compressor with jacks down causes the suspension to air-up and the jacks-down alarm to go crazy,,,, not to mention the excessive noise and diesel fumes directed toward your neighbours....plus idling your engine without driving it to operating temp is not good for it! .
Well I might be going to ruffle a few feathers here but if I have a low tire and I am going to hit the road. First off I warm my engine up before I leave, second it the compressor was the only way I had to fill a tire then so be it. Sorry if I upset the guy next to me but my safety is the most important thing to me. I guess I am selfish that way? But hey maybe I should worry more about upsetting the guy next door than blowing a tire a 65mph? As for the alarms oh well I guess I would have to live with that it that were to ever happen. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way and if so I guess I am a dinosaur ?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I ran into the issue of too little compressor even though it was rated @ 20 lbs more psi than I needed, it didn't do the trick, so upgraded...

and on the feathers...
I would think the consensus is,
check and fix everything you can the afternoon before you leave so if you leave @ 4 or 5 am with the fishermen, you don't wake EVERYONE up, just a few

and as far as idling,
check with ANY long time diesel owners and it's actually harder on your engine and does nothing for all the rest of your driveline than a slow roll out of the campground...
Old 06-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I believe the OP has a gas powered coach.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Personally, I dislike my on board compressor. Not bad for my tires needing 85 PSI or less but not so good for 110 PSI. I like my 150 PSI Craftsman. It isn't the quietest but is reasonably quick for topping off a tire.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here's another vote for the 150 psi Craftsman. Quick and easy.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #14

Well I will go so far as to say starting your diesel and just driving off maybe fine but I always have and always will start mine up and let it run for 5-10 minutes before I take off. If I cannot fill a low tire during this time then my guess is that it won't fill up no matter what I do. But again I don't care if I wake people up if I need to fill a tire or if the 5-10 min warm up upsets somebody. Honestly I have never been woke up by the guy next to me warming up his rig before he leaves. Now have I been woke up by somebody slamming doors , screaming kids, barking dogs and people loading their junk before he fires up.... Well yes I have but hey why worry about what someone else does? Life is to short to sweat the small stuff.

Huck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires