Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Adding bunks for the kiddos

We're a few days into ownership of our new-to-us 1998 American Tradition 40TVS. It has this WONDERFULLY large closet (about 50" long) in the bathroom that I am thinking of converting to double bunks with drawer storage under the bottom bunk. Here's the closet: http://flic.kr/p/rXwtW1

The kids are 3 and 1 so the bottom would start as a crib and the top would be a toddler bed.

First, has anyone converted a closet (or any other Class A space) to bunks? Would you recommend building an exoskeleton in the closet for the bunks, or securing the bunks to the exterior wall and walls of the closet?

While perusing the interwebs, this is the best I have seen...

I'd like to think I could do something a bit better!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think for future resale a removable unit would be easier to sell. A new owner could use the bunks as is or easily remove and utilize as a closet.

Enjoy your adventures with your RV!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is true, however whatever I do, I will match the stain to the current cabinetry to make it look as factory as possible.

1998 American Tradition 40TVS
Spartan IC Chassis with IFS
Cummins ISC 8.3L 300HP
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd have to think long and hard before making the change permanent, as mentioned think "resale".
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
The length of the bunks, at 4' 2" also limits the market for resale, and also limits the time it will work for you. Kids grow quickly, if a few years they may not be comfortable in such a short bunk. You could always keep the closet and pull out the sofa bed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I guesstimate that I'll get 5 or 6 years out of the bunks. The goal is to give the kids a permanent space of their own so DW and I can enjoy the front of the coach after their bedtime, something we can't do if the pullout couch is used as a bed. Plus, we can save the pullout for adult guests like grandparents.

1998 American Tradition 40TVS
Spartan IC Chassis with IFS
Cummins ISC 8.3L 300HP
Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

I think if you make the ladders and rails removable you don't have to worry much about resale. Remove those and the mattresses, throw on a couple of doors (if really necessary) and you are back to storage. Five or six years is a LOT of evening peace and quiet time in the meanwhile! Plus, the coach will officially be "vintage" 5-6 years from now...how much more resale value will you really lose?

I vote for the peaceful nights!
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote