Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Adding EMS-LCHW50C

I am buying a '15 motorhome with a TRC model 41260 "Surge Guard Plus Transfer Switch. I would like to get more protection for my unit. I am considering two options.
1- My first choice because of cost. Adding an EMS-LCHW50C between my transfer switch and 50 amp cable going to shore power.
2- Upgrading, replacing my current TRC 41260 with a 40250-RCV Transfer Switch. (This would cost more than the EMS unit and leave me with a new 41260 switch to try to sell.
Has anyone added the EMS unit and if so, how easy was the install and do you have any pictures of the job?

jrizz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would go with the Progressive Industries unit with the remote display. It is worth the small premium and you will have full protection then. Installing between the cord and transfer switch provides the most protection and is the preferred location. I found that there was very limited space in my exterior electrical compartment and was not anxious to work at arm's length in cramped quarters.
I elected to put my PI unit below the main electrical panel inside the coach. I chose a location where it would be out of sight but accessible. I disconnected the feed from the main panel and reconnected it to the EMS input. I pulled enough slack on the feed cable so I could make the connections comfortably. I purchased about 6 feet of the same cable and connected it from the EMS output to the main panel feed. I then mounted the EMS below the panel and stored the excess cabling below the panel. Because it is mounted inside, I was able to mount the remote display above the panel where it is visible from several feet away and it is an excellent monitor of your electric system.
Connecting it after the transfer switch results in the loss of protection of the transfer switch but does provide monitoring of the generator feed to the coach.
The PI unit is very easy to install and the instructions are excellent. The 50 amp wiring is stiff but can be properly seated in the connectors easily when you have room to work. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I added a EMS-LCHW50 in "front" of my 41260 transfer switch 4 months ago. It is mounted next to the transfer switch which is in the compartment below my input power cord reel. I can have the compartment door open and watch the readout when plugging into the power cord.
2012 Monaco Knight 36 PFT
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited on 2007 16' Car Hauler trailer
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too like the idea of the Progressive Dynamics unit. (more on this in a bit) The "Surge Guard" in your transfer switch, if I'm not mistaken is spike supression, Good, but not good enough, will not protect against low voltage (the largest killer of motors).

I would put the EMS between the shore power inlet and the transfer switch

Some feel it is better between switch and breaker (Distribution) panel but I trust my generator to know what it is doing.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
X2 on the PI unit ahead of the transfer switch. Our LCHW50 has the built-in readout on the device because I like to check it after plugging in.

This unit has already saved our appliances during a Nebraska electrical storm. PI was great to ship out a replacement circuit board and readout gratis. All they asked was that damaged parts be mailed back to them. They even paid the shipping both ways.
Fred & Mary RVM135
2012 Dutch Star 3735 ISL 400
2012 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 4x4
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
National RV Owners Club
Since my old transfer switch failed to transfer and I got 240 volts through the coach, and about $5k of damage, I elected to put the PI EMS after the switch.
nportner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive Industries is an excellent, upstanding company. Products are top quality, very well made, and carry a lifetime warranty. They also apply the lifetime warranty to their older units that were originally sold with a three year warranty. Basically, if it has their name on it and it breaks, they'll fix it. Period. Customer service, should you need to call them, is stellar. I recommend them unequivocally.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
I installed the PI unit after the transfer switch. Gives added protection from generator malfunction. Some argue that the generator has built in electronics to keep it from causing a problem, but I have read of several cases where this apparently failed. While installing it after the transfer switch leaves the transfer switch unprotected, the transfer switch is a low cost item compared to the other electronics you are trying to protect.

2011 Monaco Knight 36', MaxForce 10, 350HP, 1150 lbs. Torque.
2008 Saturn Vue Toad, SMI Duo Brake, Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar
San Antonio, TX Home Port
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote