Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Adding parking aides to new concrete pad.

Hello all,
I just had a new carport and concrete pad built and I would like to add some kind of aid or reference points to assist in my parking it straight and centered when I back into it. My idea is to paint stripes equidistant from the center about 10 feet apart along the full length of the pad so that I can see them in the mirrors as I back into carport, as well as a stripe across the back with a clearly marked center point that I can see in the backup camera so I know when to stop and to aid with centering.

What aides do you have to help you park your rig on your parking pad?

Thanks,
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have always wanted to do the same thing, just never did it. When I do kick the idea around, I research reflective road tape (different colors, and not that expensive), as that is what I would use.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

I have a target at the rear left so I can watch the wall line up with the target. Another target the front to line up the end of the mirror with sets the rear end position.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming you have a rear camera, can't you just back straight to two dots you could paint at the rear of the concrete?

If no camera, all's you would need is two dots on your DS, and just using your DS mirror back right up next to the dots while you're looking down the drivers side of your coach. Put your tires just to the inside of the dots.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

If my parking spot were paved, instead of gravel, I'd definitely have lines painted exactly where I wanted to be. For now, I use a family member as my parking aid.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Assuming you have a rear camera, can't you just back straight to two dots you could paint at the rear of the concrete?

If no camera, all's you would need is two dots on your DS, and just using your DS mirror back right up next to the dots while you're looking down the drivers side of your coach. Put your tires just to the inside of the dots.
I do have a rear backup camera.
The DW and I are pretty inexperienced at backing up and putting the coach right where we want it, I was thinking if we had some visual aides that we could reference to sort of like the lines in a parking lot, it would really help us keep it straight and centered. How about some wooden stop blocks on the floor where the rear wheels could hit against?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
rope and "tennis ball magnets" from harbor freight

Skip to 17:18 in this video to see what I'm talking about..
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you go painting concrete, I would suggest you go to a big parking lot Sunday morning when it's empty, and practice backing up using the lines in the parking lot.....and paying attention to how the rear camera correlates to where the coach and tires are positioned, as well as the view in the mirrors. After an hour or so, I bet you're much more comfortable.

We needed DMV class B endorsements for our coach (GVW > 26K), and as part of that needed to be able to back down an aisle (like a row at a parking lot), back into a turn, and parallel park....in case asked to do that. The wife and I took a couple orange cones to a parking lot and went and practiced one morning. With the cones, I could make a number of different types of challenges). Sure enough, both us us had to back through a parking lot at the DMV and into a parking spot at the end of the road test (her test a year after mine). Had we not practiced, would have been toast. Nothing is hard anymore.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The parking pad is so new, we can't put any weight on it yet. We are going to wait about 2 weeks before parking on it. I think the rope idea is good for establishing where to put the stripes. I already have the HF "tennis ball" things. They have telescoping rods. I have been trying to figure out how to best use them.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

I put a large cone where I stop
Old 02-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #11

My pad is big enough for RV but no matter what can never get it lined up same way each time, so.........

When I finally had it parked exactly how I wanted it, parked on top of white cutting boards, one for each tire, I spray painted a "box" around the outside of the cutting boards just in case I kick the boards around out of position.

Now, because the boards stick up higher than concrete, I can see if rear tires are centered on boards in mirror. For front, I just stick my head out the window and look down.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #12

The basic problem with backup cameras is that they don't tell you what is at or above their height. Ask my gutters for a reference. ;-) I expect I could put a target back there but is is somewhat hard to judge compared to.l I back over the tongue of my dolly so you might say BTDT. I can see the dolly but not a lot of other things. That is why I use a front target to set the backup distance as once the target is placed it's easy to hit within 6 inches or less by looking at the end of the driver mirror in relation to the target
If you sight down the side of the MH with your mirror it makes as good or better a reference than trying to see the tires on the ground. You just need something to use as a target to line up on.

While I am at it if there is anything near the slab you need to line up in front of the objects so you can do a strait backup operation without the tail wagging through something while you are watching the wheels.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #13

He even has a rear window. He could hang a tennis ball from the roof and then maybe a mark on the rear window and when the ball is in the rear window circle he is in the right spot. You are welcome Larry. LOL
Vrob53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #14

Hey did you ask your pad guy if he would do my ramp for my shop?
Vrob53 is offline   Reply With Quote