Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

Adding washer/dryer when not pre plumbed for it.

This is one key feature that would be extremely nice to have. I hate going to the laundry mat at campsites.

My gas class A obviously didn't come with one nor is it plumbed for one. I have plenty of room to add one in my closet but wondering how big of a task that really is. I'm very handy but would prolly contract this one out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
Community Moderator

couldn't answer your question, but, if you do, make sure install a stackable set. the splendide combo does not work well. that was the reason i moved it out.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:27 AM   #3

GEM1N1-

We're third owners of our coach. The first owners had a Splendide 2000 installed. The signs are that a large, well-known RV shop did the work; however, the installation is poor. It worked, but there were many details that could have been done better than they were. If you are handy and have high standards, I suggest you do the work yourself.

You probably will want help getting the unit(s) into the coach and into position, as they can be heavy.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the term "Splendide" and "installation" in them. [Note: This search returned more useful results than one using the terms "washer" and "installation."] This thread, with pictures, shows a recent installation.

If you want details on the install on my coach, and what I've done to fix the original installation, send me a private message that includes your e-mail and I'll get in touch with you that way.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #4
WDW

We have toyed with this idea of ourselves in a similar situation. One of the best ideas I've read is that instead of hooking up into your present electrical system, is to have it to go and external pigtail port so you can run an extension cord to the pedestal box. That cuts down on the electrical load inside the rate because it's doubtful you'll be running the washer or dryer even while you're traveling down the highway… If you are going to be a very long cord LOL!

Second thought is that while there's the convenience of drainage plumbing underneath the sink in our rear bath, one tech I spoke with raised the question whether not piping from that point into the gray tank was of sufficient designed to handle discharge on the spin cycle.

It would be interested to know what size pipe is used for units preplumbed back to the gray tank.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Washer/Dryer

In all my years of motorhoming, we've never had the need or desire to have a washer/dryer in any our coach's. - Other than the fact that going to the laundromat can be a pain in the rear, they can be just another thing to worry about when winterizing. We usually take enough clothes to last or if the need arises, we do use the campground laundry facility, assuming it's the kind my wife feels comfortable using. - The only time we've had a 'shortage' of closet space to haul that stuff was in our early days of running around the country in of GMC's.
Installing one in a coach that hasn't been pre-plumbed at the factory, I imagine, can be quite a chore. Running water lines, drain lines, insulation, air ducting for the dryer exhaust, electrical issues, etc., etc. - I would also imagine it would be quite costly whether you do it yourself or have a professional do it for you.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We have toyed with this idea of ourselves in a similar situation. One of the best ideas I've read is that instead of hooking up into your present electrical system, is to have it to go and external pigtail port so you can run an extension cord to the pedestal box. That cuts down on the electrical load inside the rate because it's doubtful you'll be running the washer or dryer even while you're traveling down the highway… If you are going to be a very long cord LOL!

It would be interested to know what size pipe is used for units preplumbed back to the gray tank.

The electrical pigtail is a GREAT idea. I wasn't real fond of the idea of tapping into my electrical system after the fact.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post

Second thought is that while there's the convenience of drainage plumbing underneath the sink in our rear bath, one tech I spoke with raised the question whether not piping from that point into the gray tank was of sufficient designed to handle discharge on the spin cycle.

Mine has 2 inch o/d pipe.
We have no problems running both the washer and dryer, both a/c's, tv, ... at the same time. Our MH is 50 amp.
My DW loves her W/D and was a requirement for her. Wash cycle uses about 12 gals of water. I pull the gray valve after 2 washes.
rdd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #8

We run our combo washer/dryer while driving, so the extension cord method would not work. Despite the many naysayers, we have done this with an older vented Splendide and our current ventless Dometic. I think the greatest risk of running the washer while driving is that an emergency maneuver could cause the door to open and water to spill out onto the floor. It hasn't been a problem yet. We don't like to sit around doing laundry, and certainly not at a laundromat. When we're parked, we run it at night and wake up to clean clothes. We wouldn't want a MH without on-board laundry.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

While I'm thinking about it, you want to ensure that any vent that penetrates the wall is properly sealed against water leaks. Mine was not, and caused extensive damage to the wall and subfloor. The damage had a large influence on our decision to go ventless.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have full size LG ventless combo in our stick home. We just love it. Put the cloths in at night get up in the morning and take them out give them a good shake and you are ready to go. Ventless cloths will feel damp to the touch at first a good shake and they are fine the ventless use small amount of water to get the condensation that the vented dryer does not have. We will add a LG compact ventless to our next MH.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #11
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyms View Post
In all my years of motorhoming, we've never had the need or desire to have a washer/dryer in any our coach's. - Other than the fact that going to the laundromat can be a pain in the rear, they can be just another thing to worry about when winterizing. We usually take enough clothes to last or if the need arises, we do use the campground laundry facility, assuming it's the kind my wife feels comfortable using. - The only time we've had a 'shortage' of closet space to haul that stuff was in our early days of running around the country in of GMC's.
Installing one in a coach that hasn't been pre-plumbed at the factory, I imagine, can be quite a chore. Running water lines, drain lines, insulation, air ducting for the dryer exhaust, electrical issues, etc., etc. - I would also imagine it would be quite costly whether you do it yourself or have a professional do it for you.

I appreciate and respect your perspective. When we bought our present coach we had to decide between a bunkhouse or the washer and dryer. Our issues lend themselves to the needs of our one child and the bunkhouse won out over the washer dryer in the gas models that were available. However that doesn't preclude the fact that it would really make DW's by far more convenient if we had that option.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
We have full size LG ventless combo in our stick home. We just love it. Put the cloths in at night get up in the morning and take them out give them a good shake and you are ready to go. Ventless cloths will feel damp to the touch at first a good shake and they are fine the ventless use small amount of water to get the condensation that the vented dryer does not have. We will add a LG compact ventless to our next MH.

The newest designs use heat pumps, which use no water during the condensation drying cycle. Ours is a Dometic, which is a rebranded Midea. Edgestar is also a rebranded Midea, and they have a model that heats its own water for the wash cycle.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
We run our combo washer/dryer while driving, so the extension cord method would not work. Despite the many naysayers, we have done this with an older vented Splendide and our current ventless Dometic. I think the greatest risk of running the washer while driving is that an emergency maneuver could cause the door to open and water to spill out onto the floor. It hasn't been a problem yet. We don't like to sit around doing laundry, and certainly not at a laundromat. When we're parked, we run it at night and wake up to clean clothes. We wouldn't want a MH without on-board laundry.
The real danger if using a Splendide while moving is permanently stretching the springs that the drum unit is suspended from. There are concrete weights in there and hitting a bump at the wrong time can (and has) stretched those springs beyond their usable strength.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #14

Our coach had one added by the previous owner. It's a Splendide unit and is installed where the bunks were located (other area changed to storage). My wife has said that she'd much rather have a stackable unit but...

As for the install. I think it's rather unique. He didn't plumb the unit full time. When we want to use it we have to hook up the 2 water supply hoses and the drain to a box that was installed (but has a cover) in the shower. It's a box like in homes where all 3 lines are in the wall. Takes us about 4 minutes to hook everything up to do wash. Not too bad for "afterthought" and I'm guessing much cheaper than having it plumbed by a professional. I'm not saying it's an easy install but not too bad.