Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I called my inverter company (Magnum) and asked if the settings on my charger were correct. I had never changed them from the Monaco factory settings. Magnum had me make some changes and I added a Profil system to make life easier..
Don, I have the same magnum inverter, can you provide any details on these changes / settings?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #16

This is my experience. Put mineral oil in over 4 years ago and the corrosion has long ago stopped. I added 2 oz per cell in 8 6 volt batteries. I have never added anymore mineral oil. I add distilled water regularly. Keep the batteries charged all winter and it started flawlessly this year.

OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone who thinks that adding mineral oil will somehow improve or extend the life of their batteries don't understand its purpose. Mineral oil keeps the battery compartment free of acid and corrosion and minimizes water loss, that's it.

The poster who said the inverter settings should be checked for the size and type of batteries installed is correct, it will minimize gassing during normal operation. But if you equalize your batteries periodically like your supposed to gassing will occur and the oil will minimize it.

Mineral oil can be purchased at Wal-Mart for about $1.75 per bottle(12 oz. I think) Use only food quality mineral oil, baby oil or products containing mineral oil is not acceptable as acetic acid can form from impurities and ruin your battery.

I've used mineral oil in my boat batteries and 14 months ago added it to my MH batteries. I put 4 oz. in each cell and after 14 months, as an experiment, have not cleaned the battery compartment and there is no corrosion.

Putting mineral oil in interstate batteries will void the warranty. Since I have interstate batteries I wanted to know why this is. After speaking with 3 people at Interstate offices I was connected to the chief chemist at Johnson Controls. I asked him why putting mineral oil in their batteries would void the warranty. He said because the company cannot control the type of oil people put in them and using the wrong type of oil will ruin the battery by creating acetic acid from the impurities. I told him I use food quality mineral oil. There was a pause in the conversation then he said “I can't control what other people might put in their batteries”. Then he said they use oil in some of their batteries. So although the use of mineral oil will void the warranty, using the right mineral oil will not damage your battery. But if your battery fails for some other reason and they find oil in the battery the warranty is void.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
[QUOTE=RJay;851758]
But if you equalize your batteries periodically like your supposed to gassing will occur and the oil will minimize it.

OK RJay, here's a dumb question...how often and when should/do you need to equalize your batteries??? Inquiring minds need to know...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
OK RJay, here's a dumb question...how often and when should/do you need to equalize your batteries??? Inquiring minds need to know...
That would depend on how you use your batteries.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I called Several major Battery manufactures and They told me To add water VOIDS the warranty; Now Why would anyone want to viod a Battery warranty ?????
Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I called Several major Battery manufactures and They told me To add water VOIDS the warranty; Now Why would anyone want to viod a Battery warranty ?????
Did you mean to say: To add oil VOIDS the warranty?

I have owned boats, cars, rv's and motorcycles and I have never had to us a battery warranty. For the boat and rv, if I install a new battery I'll put it in service for about a month to see if there is any evidence of factory defects, after that I put in the oil. I suppose if your totally risk averse you could wait until the end of the warranty period before adding the oil. Battery warranty's are usually pro rated so there comes a point where the warranty isn't worth the time it takes to claim it.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #22

Well, knock on wood, my Interstate 6volts are 10 years old and still working fine. I have never used minerial oil only DISTILLED water. Not spring water or mineral water, but steam distilled water. The MH is always plugged in during storage and all winter long. I check the batts weekly and add water as necessary. Guess I just got lucky with 4 good batteries.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I had considered this at one time but after reading opinions all over the net it seemed proper maintenance was more an issue to extended battery life than anything else. Proper charging, equilizing, and fluid levels.

I have a perfectly clean, albeit dusty battery compartment. I use Boeshield T9 on battery terminals, clear and clean. I use this stuff on anything that needs moisture protection works fabulously.

Someone else mentioned the Pro Fill, it is great. It eliminate the outgassing problem and takes a total of about 30 seconds to top off all 4 batterys.

Both of these items are a little expensive but cheap next to the $400 battery replacement and time they save.