Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

Adding Water to Batteries Containing Mineral Oil??

Like some others, I purchased new house batteries and added mineral oil to them to help minimize corrosion, etc. After 1 year, I am VERY pleased with the results.....no crude anywhere and the batteries have performed flawlessly.

Question to those that have done this....if I need to add a bit of distilled water to the batts, is there a special procedure or way of doing this? My google search suggests that one just adds water....no big deal. Just want to be sure. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks much....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just add the water.....Oil floats. I used Thermoil in my last set of batteries and got very good results. I added water whenever necessary.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Second Diploment, No special procedure
Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
...and, ALWAYS distilled water.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Never heard of adding Mineral Oil.
What's the deal? How much?
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Me too

what's the deal---how much?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I ask myself where did I go wrong;;;??? I put new Batteries 3 of in our DP MH in 2002 . Last week I took them out and took them to the Manufacture DYNO to have them tested. Now lets remember they are over 9 years old , and we boondock with a 4K inverter that gets used regulary ,. They tested them and they tested out with the same Voltage/amperage as The new on the shalf Batteries.. Also I have no crud Or acid buildup in the battery compartment.,.. When I asked the Man about putting Mineral oil in the battery . He just Laughed And said something about were oil should be used.. Now If I can get 10 years of hard use out of a battery. with out adding anything What did I do wrong... The only thing i do is . I do not store or let the coach set without charging the batteries Up to full charge, Which On My meter is 14.2 volts;; It works for me;; Life is good''
Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
Never heard of adding Mineral Oil.
What's the deal? How much?
Thermoil recommends 4 oz. in 6volt and 2 oz. in a 12V...that's in each cell of the batteries. Also they recommend filling to within 1/8" of the bottom of the cell baffle to not over fill. I have four original 6 V house batts. and I'm quite pleased that it's solved my compartment corrosion problems. The Thermoil is not cheap, however. IIRC, I paid $8-10 for the 12 oz. bottles. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #9

Thanks much for all of the replies regarding adding distilled water to my "mineral oil" batteries....I REALLY appreciate it.

Re a couple questions and thoughts about adding mineral oil, the forum has numerous threads on why some have chosen to do this and how to do it properly. As stated by others here, it involves removing some electrolyte from each cell and adding about 4 ounces of mineral oil (6V batts). You might want to take a look here and elsewhere ....then decide if it could work for you. All I know is that battery acid crud and resulting corrosion was an ongoing concern in my battery compartment. I also know that I was very hesitant to put mineral oil in 4 brand new batteries ($$$'s)! Now, after one year, battery crud and corrosion are non-existent. And the batteries are charging and performing as designed. It is working for me...

Thanks again, folks, for your quick replies. You're the reason I LOVE this forum.....
Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thermoil did nothing to extend the life of my batteries.
Keep them charged, keep them topped off with distilled water and take a look at them every month.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great advice folks......thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Not everyone has the same set up for charging batteries and consequently there will be some that go 9 years on their batteries and some that go 2 years. A LOT OF IT has to do with the quality of your charger and how you set it up.

My coach had 4 six volt house batteries and and produced enough battery acid to keep me on my toes and constantly cleaning. I added the water miser caps and they helped some. I later added the Thermoil which knocked out about 90% of the off gassing. After 5 years I replaced my house batteries as a preventative maintenance issue. I called my inverter company (Magnum) and asked if the settings on my charger were correct. I had never changed them from the Monaco factory settings. Magnum had me make some changes and I added a Profil system to make life easier.

My battery bay is now dry as a bone and acid free. My charger was not set at it's optimum charging position.

For those who pound their chest and exclaim their battery bay is perfect.....great......but people are looking for ways to fix the problem they might be having. The first thing I would check, is to see if your charger has any adjustments to it and are they set correctly. If not adjustable, then you may need to take some steps to minimize off gassing. I found the Thermoil worked and has been working for years. Thermoil/mineral oil's primary customers are businesses that use large battery banks.

The Profil or one of the other systems helps by sealing the batteries and recycling the acid that is off gassing back into the battery.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't notice any less water loss with or with out Thermoil. After 3 years, both 6v er's died, two of those years they had Thermoil in them. I still topped of the batteries almost monthly.
I replaced my batteries with Costco's version and made sure my charger / inverter was set to lead acid. I think it may of not been set properly because now I get almost no water loss and haven't had to fill the batteries but every 3 or 4 months.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I can't remember what I paid for minerial oil at Walmart but it was not very much for a pint bottle. If you go to the pharmacy counter and ask, they will give you a plastic syringe free and you can use it to add the appropriate amounts. I used two ounces per cell and yes the usual corrosion is no longer building up.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote