Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #1

Addition of new sofa ???

My wife and I seldom use the table and chairs so are thinking of replacing with another sofa, perhaps the EZ bed storage sofa. Currently this particular slide has the table and chairs (two as we have it) and a Euro chair and stool. My question is whether the new sofa would put to much extra weight on this slide (hydraulic)? I am sure the slide is built to hold two more chairs but four chairs and a table would not equal the sofa weight.....should I be concerned?

Besides not liking the table/chairs, I often sleep on sofa so want one more comfortable than one in opposite slide....not to mention that I can then lay down and watch TV too.

Thanks for any input.
bill

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I don't think the weight difference between the sleep sofa you mention and the combined weight of the table, chairs and the euro recliner will be that much. The hydraulic slide will be fine, you might have to shift some stuff around in the basement, but I dought that also.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Personally I don't think the weight difference between the sleep sofa you mention and the combined weight of the table, chairs and the euro recliner will be that much. The hydraulic slide will be fine, you might have to shift some stuff around in the basement, but I dought that also.
Thanks John,
I will probably keep the euro chair if room. Basement is not in slide but might need to watch it just to even weight to sides of motorhome. Driving to CW today (about 3.5 hours) to take a look at sofa that are on sale. I want to personally try the storage style (Davenport, if you will) and the EZ hide bed to see which I think the most comfortable and easy to use. Want to match colors also before buying or ordering...sale ends today.
bill
Old 12-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

update to OP

Original question if weight might harm slide is still open for comments.

Now to up date the six+ hour round trip to CW near Denton for eyes on. Sofa might have been on sale with good price on installation but quality was bad, color/cosmetics not good in our eyes, comfort was not what I would enjoy, and freight was an addition $225 netting sofa over $1K. We think we might find something better at a furniture. Sure glad I did not order over Internet...we saved money....well, at least for a while. b
Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Original question if weight might harm slide is still open for comments.

Now to up date the six+ hour round trip to CW near Denton for eyes on. Sofa might have been on sale with good price on installation but quality was bad, color/cosmetics not good in our eyes, comfort was not what I would enjoy, and freight was an addition $225 netting sofa over $1K. We think we might find something better at a furniture. Sure glad I did not order over Internet...we saved money....well, at least for a while. b
Buck--many of us have bought furniture from regular furniture stores to replace RV furniture. We recently replaced our FlexSteel sofa with a La-z-boy sofa. The La-z-boys are easy to get into most RVs because the backs of the sofa sections are removable. Also, the guys who delivered the La-z-boy carried it into our RV and set it up.

As far as weight is concerned, I think there should be no problem. My sister wanted to replace their dinette booth in an Itasca with a La-z-boy sofa, so she called Winnebago to ask them if the weight would be a concern. They told her "absolutely no problem", so she ordered the new couch.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Buck--many of us have bought furniture from regular furniture stores to replace RV furniture. We recently replaced our FlexSteel sofa with a La-z-boy sofa. The La-z-boys are easy to get into most RVs because the backs of the sofa sections are removable. Also, the guys who delivered the La-z-boy carried it into our RV and set it up.

As far as weight is concerned, I think there should be no problem. My sister wanted to replace their dinette booth in an Itasca with a La-z-boy sofa, so she called Winnebago to ask them if the weight would be a concern. They told her "absolutely no problem", so she ordered the new couch.
Sarah,
I know there are many different Flexsteel sofas but may I be so inquisitive to ask why you replaced yours? Yesterday we went to a furniture store not to far from us where owners are friends, and found two 88-90" double recliner sofas that we liked in a double stitch look of light tan/cream "micro nu-leather" material. one a Lazy Boy and the other, oddly at least I thought since a home furniture store, a Flexsteel. LB was actually a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than FS, but owner felt the FS would disassemble the best for installation. After looking at the mess at CW Sunday, and 72", for tad over $1K, this was $1.2K complete, installed & tax. We were not actually looking for recliner model but it might turn out to be enjoyable. It will be more than enough length to sleep on when I toss and turn or whatever and need to venture away from small queen bed in bedroom. Anyway, hope it will not add to much weight to slide and works out as planned.

One thing I liked about the FS was that the footing did not come to far forward so that it should set on 36" deep slide better....but we'll see when it arrives. Also reclining mode did not require but few inches of back-wall space.

Thanks for reply.

bill
Old 02-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #7

UPDATE: here's the switch

Furniture store made me a much better offer than CW by a long shot....less money, better quality, and a longer, more comfortable sofa. I ended up choosing a LazyBoy, mostly for a couple of hundred dollars savings. I liked the Flexsteel also, and both broke down for easy installation. I know many prefer table and/or recliner, but since I sleep on sofa quite often, this 88" should be much more comfortable than the shorter hide-a-bed in opposite slide. Plus new sofa has two built-in recliner ends. Folding trays will be used for eating and such. bill
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH old table b 0114.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	55267

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH new sofa a 0114.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	55268
Old 02-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #8

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Furniture store made me a much better offer than CW by a long shot....less money, better quality, and a longer, more comfortable sofa. I ended up choosing a LazyBoy, mostly for a couple of hundred dollars savings. I liked the Flexsteel also, and both broke down for easy installation. I know many prefer table and/or recliner, but since I sleep on sofa quite often, this 88" should be much more comfortable than the shorter hide-a-bed in opposite slide. Plus new sofa has two built-in recliner ends. Folding trays will be used for eating and such. bill
Attachment 55267

Attachment 55268
That looks great, Bill! Sorry I didn't respond to your previous post about why we swapped out the FlexSteel...I must have missed that! Our FlexSteel was very uncomfortable. We have not regretted the swap to La-z-boy.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #10

In the dog house that often huh?

Quote:
but since I sleep on sofa quite often, this 88" should be much more comfortable than the shorter hide-a-bed in opposite slide.
Attachment 55267

Attachment 55268
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
In the dog house that often huh?
You caught that? ha. That RV queen just don't always cut it when I'm restless.
b
Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #12

I bought this American Leather queen sleeper with gel mattress so I could have two people sleep in this space. There was a simple jacknife sofa that, although nice only sleeps one.

With the slide out, it is a full queen and fit into the narrow 74" opening. The comfort level in the seating and sleeping cannot be compared. And, the bonus is the existing seatbelts come up perfectly onto the seat/back space.

Old jacknife:

New sleeper:

Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
I bought this American Leather queen sleeper with gel mattress so I could have two people sleep in this space. There was a simple jacknife sofa that, although nice only sleeps one.

With the slide out, it is a full queen and fit into the narrow 74" opening. The comfort level in the seating and sleeping cannot be compared. And, the bonus is the existing seatbelts come up perfectly onto the seat/back space.

New sleeper:

Definitely looks more comfy. b