Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #29

If it is real cold outside IMO the REAR furnace should be running as this is the unit that keeps the water tanks etc warm on most motorhomes.

Also in a panic stop situation I certainly do not want a hot portable 110 volt heater flying around the coach. That is asking to get burned.

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
If it is real cold outside IMO the REAR furnace should be running as this is the unit that keeps the water tanks etc warm on most motorhomes.

Also in a panic stop situation I certainly do not want a hot portable 110 volt heater flying around the coach. That is asking to get burned.
I agree, although I use one when stationary my rear furnace is not working yet still trying to figure that one out. The furnace is ducted into the bathroom so I get lots of heat from that.
ps I had the 66 Impala SS 396 4 on the floor. Wish I still had it, got a 64 deville convert 429 now and can smoke the rear tires. Only did it once though

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #31

We have used an adjustable spring loaded shower curtain pole with a blanket hung over it. It worked very well and was temporary , just for a few days to get from very cool weather here in Canada to warmer areas. We also ran the gas furnace at a lower temperature (50's) to keep the rear of the RV form getting too cold.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post

Okay, but I don't use the bedroom when rolling down the road........why waste mo
Do you shut the heat off in your bedroom at home during the day when you are not using it?

I heat my entire home, all the time...BOTH of them. ;-)
Old 11-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Okay, but I don't use the bedroom when rolling down the road........why waste mo
We cover the floor heat duct in our bedroom as we like it cool in there, and if the furnace is running the sensor that tells it to start and stop is in your living area. If you have the bedroom door closed when traveling and are concerned about the cost of heating un-used space cover the ducts. In our home the bedroom door is always closed and no heat.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Do you shut the heat off in your bedroom at home during the day when you are not using it? I heat my entire home, all the time...BOTH of them. ;-)
The OP was regarding the use of dash air. My dash air does a pretty good job if I close the bedroom door, not as good with the door open. I might ask, do you heat your entire house at the same temperature when you are on the road in your RV?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
The op asked how to supplement his dash air .. Simple ....Run the furnace or if you have a thing about your gas and turn off the valve at the tank while moving run the generator and use electric heat.... to answer the "heat home when not there "even though I didn't say it .. No I don't But I do have a app that turns on the heat before I get there :-0. I may be a energy pig but I paid thousands and am losing thousands of dollars in depreciation every year on my mh .. Losing a few bucks in gas usage to heat the entire coach .. While I'm traveling IN it !!! isn't even on my radar. When I stop at the rest stop to eat use the bathroom rest or whatever , the reason I chose a mh over my old 5er by the way , I want it warm!!! Good news is nobody else has to endure all that wasteful heat just the DW and I ;-) .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my coach I have a hi/off/low switch on the dash labeled "coach heater" which pumps engine heat into the floor ducts, works quite well.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also use a curtain behind the front seats to keep heat and cool air up front while
traveling from Ohio in winter to Texas. Works really well. Mine goes up with just one
part of the Velcro. it sticks right to ceiling.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #38

iRV2 No Limits Club
let me see my gen set .97 gal per hr diesel times 3.50 =6 hr 21.00 gee last meal