Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Additive to clean injectors?

I have a Chevy Vortec 454 in a '98 National Dolphin and want to add injector cleaner to the gas. It holds 75 gal and I am wondering how much I should add to the tank to do any good. The tank is near full now and I have 4 bottles that I am planning to use.

The gas mileage is not as good as I think it could be. Will this help at all with a full tank?

John

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
I have a Chevy Vortec 454 in a '98 National Dolphin and want to add injector cleaner to the gas. It holds 75 gal and I am wondering how much I should add to the tank to do any good. The tank is near full now and I have 4 bottles that I am planning to use.

The gas mileage is not as good as I think it could be. Will this help at all with a full tank?

John
One 16oz can of Seafoam per 25gals,(3 total) will do the job in your MH. We use this stuff about twice a year in our vehicles. Works very good with diesels to. Can usually be bought at WM, Napa, etc. Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment

Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
remove the doghouse cover and you can get to the TBI injectors really easy. You cant drive them clean. Best to have them flowed and cleaned. Runs about $21 per injector plus shipping... you have 2 of them.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
remove the doghouse cover and you can get to the TBI injectors really easy. You cant drive them clean. Best to have them flowed and cleaned. Runs about $21 per injector plus shipping... you have 2 of them.
What do you mean flowed and cleaned? Please explain and what do the injectors look like? Where do I get the stuff to do the cleaning?

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The injectors have to be removed and sent for cleaning, or replaced with new ones.

Seafoam is a preventive maintenance step, but if you really have that dirty of injectors, it's best to have them cleaned or just replaced.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
What do you mean flowed and cleaned? Please explain and what do the injectors look like? Where do I get the stuff to do the cleaning?

Thanks.

can send them here
www.injector.com

http://www.injector.com/injector_service.html

A mobile service tech can have them removed in under 30 mins if youre not handy.
Those injectors are expensive to replace hence the suggestion to have them flowed and cleaned (a printed bench mark of the injectors performance)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Chevron Techron
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2? Aren't there one per cylinder? Please explain. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I talked with the local GM parts dealer today and gave him my VIN. He said it is a '98 chevy 454 (7400) L29 MFI with 8 fuel injectors. Now I know. Will try using Techron to see if it does the job. Will probably use 3-4 bottles since my 75 gal tank is over 3/4 full at this time.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
He was under the impression you had a TBI emgine in which there are only 2 injectors. No matter.. You can have your clean professionally also..

Quote:
I talked with the local GM parts dealer today and gave him my VIN. He said it is a '98 chevy 454 (7400) L29 MFI with 8 fuel injectors. Now I know. Will try using Techron to see if it does the job. Will probably use 3-4 bottles since my 75 gal tank is over 3/4 full at this time.
It might take more than one tank, but Techron is highly regarded. It is the only one approved by Audi/Porch/VW for example.. I try to stock up when Advanced Auto has them at 2 for 1.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Chevron Techron
I had our chemist run some Techron through the gas chromatograph and it came up 98% naptha and 2% inert ingredients.

Still good stuf for injectors.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
One 16oz can of Seafoam per 25gals,(3 total) will do the job in your MH. We use this stuff about twice a year in our vehicles. Works very good with diesels to. Can usually be bought at WM, Napa, etc. Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Chevron Techron

I have used both in my 1995 Ford F-250 460 cid . Chevron Techron works good, also Seafoam works good. I haven't put any in my RV but in my truck I have used both and Seafoam seemed to work better In my opinion.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
+1
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
sorry I thought you had a TBI intake. You can do the same service on direct port injectors as well... the labor will be abit more expensive to remove them.

The pour in treatments may or maynot work. I suggested the injector cleaning service because you get a benchmark of the flow rate before and after service.