Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Additives

For those of you who own DP's, do you add anything to your fill-up's of diesel? With every fill-up? And what do you prefer to use?? Thanks for your input.
Mooseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to get burned at the stake for admitting to this crowd that I use an additive, but I like Opti-Lube Fuel Improver | Oil Fortifier | Block Grease . Read their information on fuel quality and lubrication. I use a third of an ounce per gallon and mix it at a half ounce to a gallon on fuel ups where I know I'll be doing some hard climbing. I've been running it for over 3 years. It does add to the bottom lone of your fuel bill.

Before everyone posts the statements from Cummins and Cat about no additives, save your typing, it's been said all before. It's a personal choice that I make.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

Opti-lube is rated #2 diesel fuel additive in this HFRR test Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums. I have difficulty finding it on the road, and usually wind up buying FPPF diesel fuel additive (1 oz to 30G) which is #3. Number 1 rated is B2- bio-diesel blend.
The bottom line, the test results plainly show an additive is needed for engine longivity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I add 2 oz of acetone to 10 gals of fuel for better mileage and cleaner burn.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #5

Opti-lube Summer Blend for lubricity enhancement (my engine is a 98 mechancial C8.3 Cummins...ULSD was not even in existence when it was manufactured).

Valvtek Microbiocide due to the high humidity here in S. Florida.

Both are cheap insurance as I have not had any issues with the fuel delivery system (lift pump) or clogged filters.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #6

Opti-Lube here on a Ford 6.7. The fa t that lubricity/centane is all over the place depending on where you get fuel.
I found Opti-lube recommended over on some of the Ford forums. For those of us that can not follow the warm weather, they do have a winter blend.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Clean fuel (lots of it) goes in my tank, nothing else.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I rotate between SeaFoam, Lucas Fuel Treatment, Power Service & Marvel Mystery Oil Mix about (3) times a year or during an impending hard run. Whatever is on sale of those mentioned is the determing factor in what I buy/use at the time.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 AM   #9

Raycor Biocide per instructions on the bottle to control algie in every tank, no filter problems ever. I get it from the local diesel shops any marine (boat store) should have a comprable product. Be careful what product you buy some of them will turn the fuel red the color of off road diesel.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Nothing. When we fueled up at the end of the fall season then took off for a month in the dead of winter I used to ad an anti-gel. Now we are gone before it gets that cold and don't return till it warms up.

We store it with the tank as full as possible. If we stayed in one place parked long enough that had sustained very warm temps I would be using some kind of bio-guard to prevent algae growth in the tank.

We try to fill up somewhere that is busy enough to have fresh diesel. Truck stops work for that, I am suspicious of mom & pop stores.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #11

XPD + Cetane at every fill. If going into a heavy pull area, I add the max recommended amount of Cetane.

My choice, my money.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #12

Here is something to think about. Almost all large trucking companies ban the use of additives that "improve milage and lubricate the motor" because in the millions of miles they travel they have found no advantage in MPG or engine life and no cost savings. Cummins actually did some testing with their motors on a engine dyno to see if any power was gained and the answer was NO. As far as lubricity of fuel I personally believe that is a sales trick to get everyone worried. Again long haul trucks for big companies do not use any.

I tried some fuel additives in my MH to see if any MPG on a trip that I make all the time. I know exactly how much fuel it takes to go from Atlanta GA to Brunswick ME and I have done it many times and have a very predictable amount of fuel used. I tried these MPG improvers and found no improvement that was measurable. Compute out how much MPG improvement you would need to pay for that additive per tank and see what you would need to pay for it.

The only additive I use is to control black slime while the mh is not being used.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, I am going to throw something else into the mix. Has anyone filled their diesel tank with Bio-diesel yet? It is turning up at the Flying J's/Pilots and several folks have been stranded on the side of the road with clogged fuel filters. Bio-Diesel as I understand it has more water in it, has some kind of cleaning stuff in it that causes stuff in tanks to loosen thus clogging filters. Not on that but it burns faster getting less mpg. Based on nasty things I have read about it, I ordered spare fuel filters and Biobor JF Diesel fuel treatment. Guess I will be using an additive now.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mooseguy,
I use Stanadyne Performance Formula. Go to Performance Formula - Stanadyne and read about it. The net cost to me is 0. From the first tank to current, the additive performs as advertised. I forget the exact numbers, but the MPG increase was around 9/10 MPG. If there was no business case I would not use it.

For those who bring up the trucking industry as an example of why no additives are used, that excuse is flawed. I was a consultant to the trucking industry back in the 80's. The bottom line is if the savings required driver's to take any action, the company rejected the product. Simple as that.

The diesel fuel component part of Stanadyne has been in business for over 60 years. Their main businesses are in diesel fuel system components (injectors, pumps, etc.).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote