Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Adjusting Mirrors?

I was scrapping the ice from the mirrors on my Winnebago Adventurer 35Z -- should have just turned on the mirror heater

I pushed the mirrors out of alignment -- the column did not move, but the mirrors did. The motorized controls will not bring the mirrors back into alignment.

Can I just push on the mirrors and try to center them again or will this risk damaging the motorized control?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have Velvac mirrors they have an Allen head set screw in the base that you can just loosen up then move the mirror head where it suits you best.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If you have Velvac mirrors they have an Allen head set screw in the base that you can just loosen up then move the mirror head where it suits you best.
The column did not move when I was scrapping the ice off, so I don't think the set screw adjustment will help - I move the glass when I scrapped the ice, not the entire mirror column.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

If they won't adjust with the electgronic controls I'd think you moved the mirror base even though you think you didn't. I'd go with John's suggestion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again if they are Velvac and just the glass itself moved I'm wondering if you stripped or jumped a gear. Does the mirror try to adjust with the motor if it does but not all the way try moving the head by the way I mentioned to recenter it so to speak.

I'll admit you now have me worried you might see a little bit of the mirror jumping around in the wind while driving, what ever you do don't try to compensate by pushing the glass the other way, while you may not break the glass you might just finish off the gears.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The motor will move the mirror a bit. I will try the set screw adjustment and see what happens - might get it from storage tomorrow and try. Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #7

I've done the same thing with my Velvac mirror and just pushed it gently against the gears in the opposite direction to put it back in the proper alignment. But since John has advised against it, I don't want to suggest you do it.

You can call Velvac technical support at 800-783-8871 (from here =click) and ask them. They also have owner's manuals, installation and repair instructions available (from here =click)

Yes, as you know, scraping ice off the mirrors is not wise for several reasons and the one that I learned early on is that because the mirrors often will be dirty before the ice forms which makes the results of scraping are even worse because the dirt in the ice will sometimes put permanent scratches on the glass. I've even put fine scratches in the windshields on my cars when scraping ice in my early years so I never scrape ice off of any glass surface anymore.

If you can't wait for defrosters in the mirrors (or even the windshields) to work, then use a liquid deicer instead of scraping.

-harry
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
I've done the same thing with my Velvac mirror and just pushed it gently against the gears in the opposite direction to put it back in the proper alignment. But since John has advised against it, I don't want to suggest you do it.
in all honest both suggestions are good, it's just the luck of the draw.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post

You can call Velvac technical support at 800-783-8871 (from here =click) and ask them. They also have owner's manuals, installation and repair instructions available (from here =click)

Yes, as you know, scraping ice off the mirrors is not wise for several reasons and the one that I learned early on is that because the mirrors often will be dirty before the ice forms which makes the results of scraping are even worse because the dirt in the ice will sometimes put permanent scratches on the glass. I've even put fine scratches in the windshields on my cars when scraping ice in my early years so I never scrape ice off of any glass surface anymore.

If you can't wait for defrosters in the mirrors (or even the windshields) to work, then use a liquid deicer instead of scraping.

-harry
Hi Harry -- thanks for the tips and the info from Valvac. I'll give them a call before trying anything.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Got the Mirrors Working

After a call to Velvac I have the mirrors working. Apparently the mirrors on the Winnebago Adventurer are top-of-the-line and they were not concerned about stripping gears. They recommended blowing compressed air behind the mirror to remove any dirt that may have settled and then wiggling the mirror back into place. There is a sweet spot on my mirrors I could feel once I did some wiggling (of the mirror that is).

Appreciate all of the ideas -- calling Velvac was a great suggestion.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think they would be too concerned about stripping the gears if they could sell you a new mirror afterwards

Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I don't think they would be too concerned about stripping the gears if they could sell you a new mirror afterwards

Thank you for the update.
Oh shoot -- didn't think about that
Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It worked so they gave great advice

See My RV Upgrades