Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Adjusting Rear Air Bags to raise the back of RV

Is there a way to ajust the rear air bag to raise the rear of my RV up about 4 inches. My drive way is a little too stiff! Attached is, I believe, the picture of the valve that control air into the airbag.

Ly
1997 Beaver Monterey M3600 36'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Bag valve1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	44049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Bag Valve2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	44050  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #2

You might get 4", but it wouldn't be good for the bags IMO. Bags are designed to run within a given range, and 4" is on the extreme edge of stretch for rear bags.
As an interesting exercise, you could seek out somebody who knows bag design well enough, and get a bag spec'd out that gets centered for ride height on the very low side of its range but still has 4" plus of upward range available.
It might be easier to alter your driveway.
Or move to Kansas.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Raising the rear of the coach 4" , could throw the drive shaft angle off enough to damage the U joints.
Have you considered some, pressure treated 2X8 s for ramps?
I think the item pictured is the , dump solenoid, for dropping the air suspension, before using the levelers. I'm not 100% sure though.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #4

Do not try and raise it with the air bags. The ride height has to be correct or you could experience vibration in the driveline and or damage to the rear differential. I would find out what the ride height is supposed to be for your coach and then check it. If it is off readjust it to spec. otherwise modify your driveway.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, my Hadley air ride system allows me to raise the rear of the coach, above the standard air ride height, for up to 20 MPH! Raises the rear of the coach ~ 4 to 5 inches. Great for pulling into the garage.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Hmmm, my Hadley air ride system allows me to raise the rear of the coach, above the standard air ride height, for up to 20 MPH! Raises the rear of the coach ~ 4 to 5 inches. Great for pulling into the garage.
That's fine, the other guy is talking about changing his leveling valve adjustment. Your Hadley set up is just a temp raise and they want you to limit your speed. If he changes his total ride height there is a good chance of driveline issues ,Two completely different things. I guess he should look into the Hadley setup.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
As others have stated raising the ride height outside the factory spec's is not to be
done.
Doing so will result in transmission, U-joints, and rear ends early failure.
It will also cause the front end alignment to be out of spec's that will result in a
whole new list of early failures.
Art
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Simple answer, NO. The ride height adjusters need to be set to factory setting. To change or adjust them requires crawling underneath and adjusting push rods on both rear height adjusters. This is not something you can do to pull in and out of the driveway.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Raising the rear of the coach 4" , could throw the drive shaft angle off enough to damage the U joints.
Have you considered some, pressure treated 2X8 s for ramps?
I think the item pictured is the , dump solenoid, for dropping the air suspension, before using the levelers. I'm not 100% sure though.
X2 This /\ /\ /\ /\ is correct.
THat looks like both the dump valve and leveling valve all in one.
(leveling valves don't have wires/ dump valves don't have levers )
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #10

Thank you all for your input.

Please note that the adjustment is only for getting in and out of the driveway and it will be adjusted back to the original setting when we are heading out on the road.

I did have a wood ramp built, but it's a pain in the neck to carry it in and out. it is so heavy.

The "valve" shown in the attached pictures is for both rear air bags. I thought I would be able to raise the height of the rear of the coach by adjusting the push rod when I need to get in and out the driveway.

If this is not possible, is there anything out there which can be considered for this particular situation?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

I built a low slung , wheeled dolly; 5/8" plywood 2'X3' on 3" tall casters .
The ramps can be flipped onto the dolly deck , without lifting them, and attached a tow rope, to the dolly. Ramps and dolly leaned against the wall in the garage. Never lifted the full weight of the ramps.