RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Adjusting The Front Door Latch

Anybody have any pics or a video of how to adjust the door latch on my 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador? I'm sure the door latching mechanism is just like most every other class A diesel pushers out there.

I pull my handle all the way but it will NOT open the door unless I take my fist and "pop" the door next to the dead bolt. Then the door pops right open! Problem is no matter how many times I show my wife how to do this she can't do it and I have to hear endless weeping and wailing and nashing of teeth about this stupid door so I need to get it adjusted before I lose my mind.

EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #2

Assuming the mechanism is similar, you will have to remove the interior panel, look at how the mechanism works, and find the rod or cable that can be adjusted. Can't be more specific but once you see behind the panel, it should be obvious.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #3

Mine did that when I first got it. All I did was use a spray lubricant and copiously sprayed all aspects of the mechanism. If you open the door, does the bolt spring all the way out? Mine didn't and lubrication fixed the problem. Good luck!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Curtis! Don't know if this will help but you can see if yours is the same. Look at post #20 for the details on what I did.

Can't get this dang door adjusted!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here are 2 pdfs that might help you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Door Adjustment - Entrance.pdf (338.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Door Bushing Replacement & Latch Adjustment.pdf (985.1 KB, 14 views)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #6

Before you do anything, please examine the door and hinges as a system to ensure that you are not "fixing" the wrong thing. We had similar problems with our Sunstar door, which, after similar futzing with the lock, turned out to be the door edge aluminum extrusion on the hinge side pulling away from the door. Fixing that fixed the latch and lock.

I posted the repair I did last weekend on a couple of other forums, but I could post it here if there is interest. Or link to it on the Winnieowners forum. Since the repair, the door closes with a nice car-like thunk, and I have confidence it will last for years..
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you go to the irv2 Monaco get-together at Quartzite guys fall over each other to help you adjust your door. Ours was nearly as bad as yours, now we can open it with a pinky.

Walt

photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door