Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought a 45' Monaco Signature Series Senator and would like to start off fresh with new batteries. It currently has five 12V batteries, and it has two 2000 watt inverters. The guy who inspected the coach said I could get by with four. Since I have plenty of room in the battery bay, would I be better off with eight 6V or four 12V? After reading this thread Im leaning towards eight 6V, but four batteries would be much less weight and less maintenance figuring double the cables/connectors and water to be checking......Love to know your thoughts....thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #16

It takes the same weight of lead to make the same aH at 12 volts. The cost is in the lead and the quality of the case. Everyone i know who buys the cheap 6 volt batteries seems to be unhappy. Everyone I know who buys Trojans either 6 or 12v seems to be happy. J185H's weigh 115# each, they are 215 aH at 12v each.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtSea2 View Post
I just bought a 45' Monaco Signature Series Senator and would like to start off fresh with new batteries. It currently has five 12V batteries, and it has two 2000 watt inverters. The guy who inspected the coach said I could get by with four. Since I have plenty of room in the battery bay, would I be better off with eight 6V or four 12V? After reading this thread Im leaning towards eight 6V, but four batteries would be much less weight and less maintenance figuring double the cables/connectors and water to be checking......Love to know your thoughts....thanks
With that rig and those inverters you will want all the amp-hours (AH) you can get. Unless of course your plans are to never boondock or very little. So you need to calculate your battery area size. These are the specs for the Trojan T-105 6V Trojan Battery Company. 2 of these will give you 225 AH, weigh 124 lbs and take 147 sq in. Eight of these will give you a whopping 900 AH.

This is the 12v Trojan. Trojan Battery Company 1 of these will give you 130 AH, weigh 68 lbs and take up 98 sq in. You would need 7 of these to equal the AH of the eight 6V.

Pros and cons:

Bang for the buck, I'm sure your calculations will show the 6V will give you more or equal AH for a MUCH less price.

The 12v is easy to wire in parallel and the cabling will be cheaper. Running 4 pairs of 6V in series then parallel to the coach would certainly be a mass of cables. I'm a dyed in the wool 6V fan, but I would seriously consider the more expensive 12v route in this situation, could even be a wash depending on cable expense.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #18

I have 3 j185h's 645 aH at 115#'s each. With a 3000 watt inverter that gives me 5 days before generator time. We run the TV, Direct TV box, toaster, coffee maker, hair dryer and microwave. When you add in the 12v stuff that's a lot of battery. Only have room for 3 batteries so I chose the Trojan J185H's.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #19

Compare the weight of the Trojan T105's and the J185H the weight is 1 aH of reserve capacity of lead for the 12v is 0.53 and for the 6v 0.55, actually by the weight of the battery.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The 12v is easy to wire in parallel and the cabling will be cheaper. Running 4 pairs of 6V in series then parallel to the coach would certainly be a mass of cables
Actually, the wiring is very little different in terms of length and number of cables needed. See this picture:

RV Tech Library - Converting From 12 Volt to 6 Volt Batteries
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #21

We have 2 (two) 6 volt GC batteries in our Fuzion and Cruiser. Having "true" deep cycle batteries allows us to run longer on 12v power and in my opinion, battery life is longer over the 12 volt "RV/Marine" batteries. The only drawback is, since we only have two 6 volt batteries, we always bring one 12v battery "just in case". If a 6 volt battery fails, we are S.O.L. We only have room for two batteries. We could add two more, but the DW covets storage space. We also have a generator if/when needed. Now, to hook up a battery gauge that gives more accurate readings other than the factory installed "idiot lights".
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #22

You can get digital amp meters with shunts and 4 digit digital volt meters from Ebay, Cheap!
Shop wisely and pay attention to size and color.

digital amp voltmeters | eBay
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #23

Another advantage of the 6V. golf cart batteries is they are more forgiving of accidental deep discharge. Like when you get back from a trip late in the evening, forget to turn off the coach batteries, and some one leaves a light on.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #24

True deep cycle batters are available in many voltages including 2, 6, 12 and 24v. The combo RV/Marine 12v are not deep cycle but do have a sturdier case and construction than a regular 12v. True 12v deep cycle are available from Trojan and many other companies. Surette makes a 2v that costs a fortune. They also make a battery for Diesel Electric engines - trains. Don't think golf carts are the only use of a deep cycle battery, they aren't.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #25

i'll borrow this for a question - having flipped through tons of messages on this subject but still not quite clear - if i am going for 4 agm 6v deep cycle, do i need to change anything for charging/charger given the fact that i am using 2 12v regular batteries now?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #26

Smart chargers have settings for regular (flooded) or AGM, as well as the capacity of the battery bank. See the manual for your particular converter/charger. Make sure that the temperature probe is fitted properly at the battery bank.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #27

Thanks for the fast response. I'll look at the manual.

Another question is - can engine starting battery be AGM type? This sounds like a silly question as people will ask why you want to do that... I have a buddy who works for a battery distributor and i can get those with favorable prices. Also I am in the process to install 600w solar panels with a MPPT controller. I looked around and found the only place for the controller is the battery bay (a bad idea most people will say); well if all batteries are AGM type there will be no gassing and the compartment can be as clean as any other compartments (I will use a clear pvc box to cover the controller anyway). Any thoughts?

Tags
batteries