Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningHard View Post
You can get a very nice lightly used DP in that price range. I narrowed down my choices to 3-4 manufactures.....I looked for almost a year, then a friend decided to sell his, and I purchased. It was a no brainer for me as he was a perfectionist about everything, as well as it being garage stored when not in use. Good luck!

Does he have another one? Lol
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a fan of the older high line model rather than newer but lesser. For $225k (or less), you can get a very nice. top-of-the-line, used diesel pusher. Maybe something from American Coach, Newmar, or Entegra, or perhaps an Allegro Bus from Tiffin.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm a fan of the older high line model rather than newer but lesser. For $225k (or less), you can get a very nice. top-of-the-line, used diesel pusher. Maybe something from American Coach, Newmar, or Entegra, or perhaps an Allegro Bus from Tiffin.

[emoji106][emoji106]
Old 11-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Yup, and that price point with older used motor coaches will get you at or at least near the Prevost/Country Coach/Newell/and a few others range of quality coaches.
Just as a fer instance..

ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
I've heard nothing but good things about Motorhomes of Texas. They are top notch folks. If I had your budget, and your know-how of diesel rigs, I'd buy this coach in a heart beat, without blinking an eye. Every time I look at this coach I drool on myself.
2003 Newell Coach Newell 45' Priced at $ 229500
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #33

I'll toss in my $.02 too! Yes to older and top of the food chain coaches. Unless you have other discretionary funds available, I'd target the $200K level, and retain the $25K to make any upgrades or catch up maintenance to sort of reset the coach to being your's. (Upgrade electronics. Change some interior items. Unless their is documented proof of maintenance, assume it should be done. Etc.).

Short list of coaches I'd target (A very personal thing for sure, as what is important to me, may not be to you or others!), no particular order:

-Foretravel
-Country Coach (Intrigue/Magna/Affinity - And if Intrigue, one with a BIG BLOCK CAT)
-Beaver (Patriot Thunder or Marquis)
-Monaco (Executive/Signature and the Holiday Rambler equivalent of these.)
-Newmar (Mountain Aire/King Are/London Tire/Essex)
-Entegra (Cornerstone)

I'd also look over Alpine and Travel Supreme's, to see if one catches your fancy. And if a Newell or Prevost Based conversation crosses your radar screen and you like it, well - enough said...

Not a complete list, but a list that includes man of the best.

Happy hunting,
Smitty

-
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Smitty. Look for older high end and set aside 10-15% for upgrades and repairs. Tires and batteries always seems to need replaced and then there will be small items to fix and upgrades you may want.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I'll toss in my $.02 too! Yes to older and top of the food chain coaches. Unless you have other discretionary funds available, I'd target the $200K level, and retain the $25K to make any upgrades or catch up maintenance to sort of reset the coach to being your's. (Upgrade electronics. Change some interior items. Unless their is documented proof of maintenance, assume it should be done. Etc.).

Short list of coaches I'd target (A very personal thing for sure, as what is important to me, may not be to you or others!), no particular order:

-Foretravel
-Country Coach (Intrigue/Magna/Affinity - And if Intrigue, one with a BIG BLOCK CAT)
-Beaver (Patriot Thunder or Marquis)
-Monaco (Executive/Signature and the Holiday Rambler equivalent of these.)
-Newmar (Mountain Aire/King Are/London Tire/Essex)
-Entegra (Cornerstone)

I'd also look over Alpine and Travel Supreme's, to see if one catches your fancy. And if a Newell or Prevost Based conversation crosses your radar screen and you like it, well - enough said...

Not a complete list, but a list that includes man of the best.

Happy hunting,
Smitty

-

Thanks for the input i am blessed by all the responses. I am taking them all to heart in my search. This is by far the best community om the internet.!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #36

Foretravel Owners Club
As with ANY used coach regardless of mfg. or year model ...
ALWAYS have it inspected by someone who is not related to the seller, but is well versed in that particular coach.
And as has been stated.. set aside $10k to $20k for updates and needed repairs.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"poorfarmer".....My 2005 Monaco Diplomat was the nicest coach I've ever owned. When I was looking for something new I looked long and hard for a used 2009 Monaco Dynasty Bishop IV with a 500 ISM. The 500 ISM was a special order so there were very few made. I eventually gave up. With all that said....keep in mind that 2009 was the last year of the real Monaco coaches. They were sold after that to Navistar and there were many issues, then Navistar dropped them and that was the end of Monaco, Beaver and Holiday Rambler. The current "Monacos" are just a Fleetwood product on a Freightliner chassis.

The reason I mention the above.....your budget should be able to get you a newer coach than 2009, so I would spend more energy on a Newmar, American Coach or a nice Tiffin Allegro Bus.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"poorfarmer".....My 2005 Monaco Diplomat was the nicest coach I've ever owned. When I was looking for something new I looked long and hard for a used 2009 Monaco Dynasty Bishop IV with a 500 ISM. The 500 ISM was a special order so there were very few made. I eventually gave up. With all that said....keep in mind that 2009 was the last year of the real Monaco coaches. They were sold after that to Navistar and there were many issues, then Navistar dropped them and that was the end of Monaco, Beaver and Holiday Rambler. The current "Monacos" are just a Fleetwood product on a Freightliner chassis.

The reason I mention the above.....your budget should be able to get you a newer coach than 2009, so I would spend more energy on a Newmar, American Coach or a nice Tiffin Allegro Bus.

Thanks![emoji106]
Old 11-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #39

I went that route after almost buying a New Entegra Cornerstone. I had a moment of financial clarity and bought a used high end coach at a substantial savings. Find your brand, model, and floor plan and go on the hunt. Take your time a learn all about your choice on this forum and other sources. I had two factory tours at Entegra before I came to my senses.

Again: Take your time.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #40

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about Motorhomes of Texas. They are top notch folks. If I had your budget, and your know-how of diesel rigs, I'd buy this coach in a heart beat, without blinking an eye. Every time I look at this coach I drool on myself.
2003 Newell Coach Newell 45' Priced at $ 229500
Yup... THAT one is really nice (altho I think the price is reduced due to the color)
And YUPYUP the ppl @ MOT are definitely top drawer & straight shooters, I have dealt with them several times all good, and Old Town Motorcoach is another one that is a cut above..(1/4 mile away), Foretravel is a half mile the other way.
Also MOT, OTM & Foretravel all have hookups for those shopping for a new coach...freebies!
Put your WBGO in the wind and go see it,,, might be able to make a lot better deal than you think..(and it ( WBGO) needs the exercise......
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:16 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorfarmer View Post
I have actually thought about that along with some newells and prevost, especially if they are non-slide models. Except most of them usually have a ton of miles compared to a lot of the other class A’s that you can find that have hardly been used. Decisions decisions!
There are a LOT of used ones in that range, that are in the 100,000 to 150,000 mile range. They have the BIG truck diesels that run hundreds of thousands of miles. The body and the interior are so much better quality that the use does not hurt them.

Our 1990 Bluebird has steel construction, solid ceramic tile floor in kitchen and bath (no cracks at all), solid wood cabinets, etc.

We too, did not want a slide, on purpose. If you go back to the last non slide Bluebirds, you will be year 2000 or so. $100,000 or so, Detroit Series 60 four stroke engine. SWEET! But a GOOD used one, no regrets.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I went that route after almost buying a New Entegra Cornerstone. I had a moment of financial clarity and bought a used high end coach at a substantial savings. Find your brand, model, and floor plan and go on the hunt. Take your time a learn all about your choice on this forum and other sources. I had two factory tours at Entegra before I came to my senses.

Again: Take your time.

So the search continues![emoji106]

Tags
advice