Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #1

Advice for future (hopefully) RV owner

Hi all

I would like some advice if anyone has any thoughts they would like to share.

I have dreamed of owning my own RV for years - and I think I can convince my wife as well. Was thinking the best way to get a feel for RVing would be to rent one for a few weeks. What should I be looking out for? I know next to nothing about owning one, so want something that will be easy to use and operate....any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
tlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum! I've never rented an RV before, so I can't speak firsthand, but I think it's a good idea to try renting before buying. That way you can get a feel for how everything works. Do you lean toward buying a Class C or a Class A? I think you can get good rental units for either one. Sorry I can't give more specific advice. Best of luck to you in your travels, and I hope you get to own one of your own someday soon!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #3

Ha! I don't even know what Class A or C is! Looks like i have a TON of research to do. .
Old 08-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #4

The road has many turns. You seem to be on target by wanting to rent an RV for a few days of travel and of course staying at RV parks. That's where you will have the priceless opportunity to visit with seasoned RVers, full-timers, and first-timers like you.

Listening to their experiences will fatten your mental database. The daunting decision of what type, style, length, design, etc. RV to purchase will begin to codify. Nobody will have THE right answer for you, but everyone will at least give you their reasons for owning and driving what they have.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

Thanks Moonrover - truer words could. Not be spoken! Can't wait to get started. I think renting one makes the most sense. Then I can start zeroing in on what works for us and what doesn't...
Old 08-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevy View Post
Ha! I don't even know what Class A or C is! Looks like i have a TON of research to do. .
Basically, in a class A gas, you will be sitting on top of the engine....its in the back usually in a diesel....it will have the huge bus drivers windshield. In a class C, it will have a bed compartment above the drivers and passengers head and you will be sitting behind the engine much the same was you wherein a pick up truck.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
tlevy,
If you are that green you need to do a lot of homework.

I would suggest that you continue to read the posts on IRV2, this will give you an idea of the types of problems people may encounter.

Start going to RV dealers and looking at both new and used RV's. This will give you an idea of value and what you are buying.

I would look at the full range of RV's from Class B, Class C, Class A. Look at the different options and levels of detail/finish. Again what does the additional money buy you. You can buy new, which will provide some level of protection since it will come with a warranty. You could also look for a newer used RV and buy an extended warranty.

Renting one would give you an idea of what to expect, I would suggest a Class C as they are usually smaller. Try it for a week and see if you like the lifestyle.

We started out camping in a Suburban, moved up to a 31' Class C, and now own a 38' Class A. Our current RV was used unit that I got at a very good price after shopping for years. It's options & finish are found in upper tier RV's. It is large enough to full time in and also provide all the comforts of home.

Good Luck
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the great advice. I will continue to lurk on this forum, and may try to rent one in the near future.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

tlevy,
After recently going through the same experience I found trips to local dealerships very valuable in educating myself.

But I learned more by watching videos. Specifically, by these contributors:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBo...5HI5CXFsCxOhmA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC33...DXepBuc3ry0rMg
https://www.youtube.com/user/RVgeeks/videos
tholtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some great advice here already. Check around to see if there are some dealers in your area where you can go and look around. When you get there be honest and up front. Tell them you are merely in the learning stage and that you don't even know what you want. Hopefully if they have time they can give you tours through the different classes of motorhomes.

Talk with folks at work. You might be surprised who you know that has one. If you can find a friend or a neighbor it'll be like hitting the jackpot. Most of us love to talk about our RV's and most of us can give you some differences between the classes of units.

Tons of info right here. You were smart enough to come here so utilize all we have to offer.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #11

Start by going to dealers and seeing the different classes, brands and models. Go for some test drives to see the difference in how the different classes ride. There is a world of difference in a Class A diesel pusher and a Class C gasser.

Another thing to do is start reading some of the owners threads and learn the differences in the brands. You'll see there is a difference in quality and customer service.

After all our research, we ended up getting a 2012 Dutch Star 38, we pick it up in a few weeks. Now the research is over, let the fun begin!!!
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You can rent any class of RV, but if trying to convince a skeptical wife I suggest you not start your journey in a tent camper or "pop up".

I'm going to assume you either have no vehicle capable of towing a travel trailer or, if you do, it is not set up for towing and you have zero experience towing a trailer.

I'd suggest you start by renting a class C (the type where part of the RV living compartment hangs out over the driver / passenger cab), something less than 30 foot. This will give you a good taste, it will share systems with both much larger and smaller RVs and will give you an idea what it is to maneuver one of these on the road and in the RV park or campground environment.

I warn you though, once you've started, you'll never want it to end.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The last time I checked rental fees were around $1000 per week or more.
I would just take her to see a lot of motor homes.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
You can rent any class of RV, but if trying to convince a skeptical wife I suggest you not start your journey in a tent camper or "pop up".

I'm going to assume you either have no vehicle capable of towing a travel trailer or, if you do, it is not set up for towing and you have zero experience towing a trailer.

I'd suggest you start by renting a class C (the type where part of the RV living compartment hangs out over the driver / passenger cab), something less than 30 foot. This will give you a good taste, it will share systems with both much larger and smaller RVs and will give you an idea what it is to maneuver one of these on the road and in the RV park or campground environment.

I warn you though, once you've started, you'll never want it to end.

Ha! That's the idea

Tags
advice