Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Smile Advice Looking To Purchase RV

Too many choices, looking to purchase Class A used, where to look and trust, who can inspect for me, thanks

echo911z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Very broad.

Start here... How much do you honestly think it should cost and / or how much do you honestly WANT to spend. Be real honest about that, and then we can start to help with some guidance.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
The best way to buy an RV is to take your time and do your research. This is not our first RV by any means, but we spent two years researching and looking before we bought. You don't need to take that long but you do need to do your research. You will find that you may be able to buy new or used for a reasonable difference, or that at the starting price point, by adding a few thousand dollars you can really improve on what you buy. Sometimes spending a little more at the start saves you money down the road.

Go on every manufacturer forum here that you are interested in buying an RV. Read the forums and see what people like/dislike about their RV's, see what is breaking, how long they are down for service, how the customer service is, ect. You will start to define your own sense of what quality is to you. Then go out and look at them, drive as many as you can, and you will start to see what people are talking about and further define what is important to you.

Once you decide what you want, if you are buying from a dealer, do your research on the dealer. The dealership can really have an impact on how well you enjoy your experience and the shape of the RV you buy. There are good dealers out there you just have to find the right match for you.

Like I said before don't be afraid to go a little bigger, more expensive, a little newer than you originally planned on. It doesn't mean you have to but it could be the difference between getting an RV that is just ok, or getting one that you love and keeping it for many years to come. Remember the floor plan is important and will affect how comfortable you are in how you intend to use it. If you have done your research properly you will know when you are getting a good quality RV, at a price that is reasonable, and will have no regrets.

Good luck on your search, and remember no matter how long it takes, looking for one is half the fun, but can get a little discouraging at times. Take your time and the right one will come along.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Do your research, and rent a few. There are class A coaches available to rent, some thru the owner, some thru dealers, some thru clubs. Look online, we found ours on KSL.com in the Salt Lake area. We rented several, both class As and Cs, gas and diesel, and of course settled on the diesel pusher. We rented a nice front gasser, similar to the 1989 454 powered one we had a decade ago as a starter. This thing had a Ford v-10 with a 4 speed tranny and a heavy 36' double slide chassis. THat thing ROARED all day long, no torque at all, but alot of HP, downshifting and upshifting, what a mess! Yeah, the DP was worth it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
And remember, statistically, you'll use it no more than half as much as you think you will. That being said, what are you using it for? Me and the honey are empty nesters with retirement only a few years away. If you got preschoolers, your needs are alot different than ours. We just bought our last coach; are you buying your last coach, or your first?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here is a place to start on what to decided, how much, what type, and things you need to know.
Here is some Tech stuff you need to know to ask the questions and not get snowed by someone.
If your a Newbee here is something to get you around the forums.
Good luck in your new adventure.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
If I were ever to get another Class A, I would start with the MUST haves!....

.... A diesel pusher, tag axle, 2 stage jake brake, residential fridge, quad slides, and a matching trailer to take up that 70 foot I'll need for a TIAT, (towed In a trailer) supplies and storage.
40ft HR Imperial DP + FROG
40ft DRV Mobile Suites RSSA
Freightliner M2-106
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
You didn't give us a lot to go with, what your budget is etc. So.... I opted for this one, below 60 thousand, Diesel Pusher, 300hp, not the biggest, but is an ISB engine, only requires about half the oil for an oil change that the big engines take and if like my little 300 hp cummins, will get 10 to 12 MPG, pulling my Jeep Wrangler.
This is a fairly low mileage unit, you should check the dates of the tires on any used RV you buy, you don't want something 7 to 10 years old, tires that is. The tires have a DOT date on them ask the dealer to SHOW you, it will be something like 3905 a four digit date code. That would indicate the 39th week of 2005, 10 years old.
Look for weather cracks, don't accept any, 3 to 5 years old would be a cut off for me. The tires on the DP run about 550 bucks apiece installed. A new set will set you back about 3500.
Make sure you check all systems Fridge, water heater, gas, batteries, generator, have a day set aside to check it all out.
This is a HUGE purchase it is a vacation home and as such can be a deduction on your income tax. So treat it as such, just like you would in buying a new home.
Just some thoughts off the top of my head from a goofy old Marine.
2005 Expedition By Fleetwood 37U for Sale - D774 - PPL Motor Homes
So take a look at this one, and then browse the rest of their inventory. I am not associated with PPL, just like what I have heard of them.
Good Luck.
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Great replies so far! It was all about floorplan for us.

Diesel Pushers are often made for the 6-4-2 crowd. Six for drinks, four for dinner, and 2 for overnight.
There are exceptions, of course.

Gas powered Motorhomes sell approximately 4 for every 1 Diesel sold because there are SO many more options, and the obvious price point difference.

Best luck in shopping and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #11
My Diesel pusher will sleep 6 easily, for more I have to add nails.
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #12
Great advice as always from members of iRV2.

The choices are endless and you'll drive yourself crazy unless you can narrow it down to a few top contenders.

Probably the best place to start is budget. Be prepared to go over just a bit because the one that is the best fit will always be just out of your budget.

Are you wanting to buy new or used?

How do you intend to use it? Full time? Part time? Long trips? Weekends?

Where? RV Resort type places, state & national parks, boondocking?

Are you going to tow a vehicle?

Lots of questions to answer before you can get much help!
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:46 AM   #13
Yeah, search, search, search. Try to narrow down what you like & can afford to maybe three or four different makes. Then floor plan, although they're all pretty much the same. A good place to look is www.pplmotorhomes.com in Texas to see coach's with pictures. They are a consignment dealer who handle a lot of RV's. On their web site is a place that shows what they actually sold for. It's a good tool to see where you are as far as price point is considered.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, purchase