Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Advice needed .....

ADVISE NEEDED........ And I will pay good money for it.

We have a 2000 33v Pace Arrow, Ford Chassis and my lovely wife Willa wants me to replace the bath tub/shower combination ''thingie'' with just a shower. Seems she is burned out with stumping her toe on the edge of the bathtub when she gets out of the tub/shower combination ''thingie''. Being a good husband I investigated several options concerning her request.
Option One. Trade motor homes for one with a ''shower'' already in the floor plan.
Bad idea. There is nowhere to ''stop'' once you start looking at new MH's.
All them DP's and ''quad slide'' coaches and that stuff will drive you nuts
and rupture your wallet.

Option Two. Get a different wife that likes the tub/shower ''thingie''.......
Bad idea. I dont believe I could find a replacement for My Willa. She is
good cook, she looks nice, and she is warm and cuddly when the weather
is cold, and she likes me almost as much as she likes the dogs.

Option Three. Replace the tub/shower ''thingie'' with just a shower. Do the work
myself and save the money someone else would charge me.

Here is my progress so far.
I have found a company that sells ''shower pans'' that are 24 x 36 with the drain hole on the ''right end'' like our tub thingie. I measured the tub and it is 41 inches long but I figure I can ''fill out'' the back wall to the 36 inch shower pan and put up a ''false wall'' on the ''outside wall'' so I will have something to hook the surround to. I can buy a three piece ''surround'' at Lowes or Home Depot and simply cut it down to the ''shower pan'' size and install same. All that considered ,,,,,,, HERE IS MY PROBLEM....

I can not seem to find one of those ''Acrylic Shower Doors for a 36 inch shower enclosure. I found one of those ''accordion type doors '' made out of some sort of plastic stuff but that aint what I want for this project. I would love to have a ''swinging acrylic shower door or my second choice would be one that slides on a track''.

Here is my deal …....
To anyone that has done this project before and you are willing to share your knowledge with me concerning same, I will pay TWO DIMES CASH MONEY for any and all advise concerning same. Photos would help but are not absolutely necessary.
To anyone that has shook hands with or known someone that talked to someone that has done this project in the past and has some knowledge of this project I will pay ONE DIME CASH MONEY.
To anyone that can tell me where to find a shower door like I want I will pay ONE DIME CASH MONEY.......
To anyone that can talk My Willa out of this project I will pay THREE DIMES CASH MONEY. …........
For drooling, dumb looks, head scratching and pointing, I dont pay anything..... Sorry...
All monies will be distributed the next time I see you......

All those ready for our troops to come home STAND UP........
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Seajay, You answered your own question.... The easiest solution is..... Replace the wife ! No searching for a shower stall that will fit, no remodeling or the related mess.
Yep, new wife is the way to go..... Quick and easy.
You're welcome !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The MARINE solution would be to get the wife steel toed shower boots.

Bob

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Seajay, You answered your own question.... The easiest solution is..... Replace the wife ! No searching for a shower stall that will fit, no remodeling or the related mess.
You're welcome !
Quote:
(cough cough) I can see that the ''quality'' of advise concerning this project is going to be somewhat ''lacking''.... (cough cough) ...... lol....Thanks guys, I will consider some sort of payment equal to the value of your advise. I will definitely need change of a dime.. (cough cough)
Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to any glass store that installs shower surrounds in houses and they will custom make you a door that will swing or slide. They can install colored acrylic if thats your thingy.

Keep your dimes, I'm already in a high enough tax bracket and that may put me over the edge.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #6

Without looking at your setup my first thought is to cut an opening in the tub wall leaving a low curb.Fit fillers in the void and fiberglass over the filler and finish.Find a door before cutting so you can custom size the opening.It may be a good idea to try to find something that would fit in case plan A doesn't work.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a shower with Willa. Lift her in and out of the shower. You just may have a change of luck.

Besides, what ever happened to all that honey and sugar talking you were doing in another thread? Are you telling me it doesn't work for construction projects.

I do agree with the steel toed boots.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Without looking at your setup my first thought is to cut an opening in the tub wall leaving a low curb.Fit fillers in the void and fiberglass over the filler and finish.Find a door before cutting so you can custom size the opening.It may be a good idea to try to find something that would fit in case plan A doesn't work.
BOB
I kinda thought about that Bob.
Anyhow. I considered that first but it would be kinda complicated.
first. it would probably wreck the structural strength of the tub I think. It may produce more complications than it would solve. The ''tub'' body would probably be too ''flexible'' with the door ''gap'' in the side. Also, the ''side'' where the shower door is attached would also be flexible due to the ''cut'' in that side of the tub....... Those tubs sides are slightly thicker than a sheet of note book paper, maybe......
Tks for the thought, I O U ten cents for the effort.

I think we should do something special for our Disabled Vets for their service to this country .....
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Besides, what ever happened to all that honey and sugar talking you were doing in another thread? Are you telling me it doesn't work for construction projects.
Wayne, look at it this way. Lets just pretend you and your ''lady'' have a big evening planned with candles, baby oil, soft music and other stuff and your ''lady'' says to ''hold that thought'' because she wants to take a fresh shower. She goes to the shower and starts to come out all clean and smellin good and she stumps her toe and knocks off a toe nail on the side of the tub and she falls in the floor saying ''SHUX'' real loud. Trust me, that will pretty well WRECK THE EVENING.
I do love the ''shared shower'' thingie though........ I O U FIVE CENTS

WE can never repay our Disabled Veterans for their service and their SACRIFICES FOR OUR FREEDOMS..... GOD BLESS THEM....
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #10

Don't know if this will help, but a few years back I added a glass shower door to the upstairs shower where previously there was a shower curtain. The shower is one of the prefab units. It too has a 36 inch opening. I ended up getting a shower door "Kit" from either Lowes or Home Depot that would fit an opening say from 30 - 40" wide (guessing the exact numbers). Had to cut the top and bottom of the door frame (per instructions) but it was actually pretty easy to install and I AM your average dummy when it comes to this kind of work.

There are two pieces of glass. One is fixed and about 10 inches wide and then there is the door itself. They overlap when closed to form the left side seal.

The only problem with this setup is I have to duck under the top rail whenever I get in or out of the shower.

Just a thought.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As it happened the floor in my bathroom needed to be replaced anyway so I went the whole monty...

Over top of B-C Plywood I used a elastomer sealant and on top of that acrylic sealer sold for garages (with speckles). Now the entire bathroom is one big shower pan.

Along with FRP for the walls and some stainless trim... I'm loving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	commode.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	7698  

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Amazon.com: Mustee, E. L. 45.700 Standard Shower Door: Home Improvement

36" Shower Door.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #13

Another option is the 36" neo angle shower unit.It would probably involve relocating the drain.If it can't be done below the floor you raise the floor under the shower just enough to extend the drain.A custom base could be fabricated in place by constructing a base ,line it with a vinyl membrane and tile it.Mine is 36 x 36 with the front walls 18" and the door 24".In my house I only used the glass portion and formed the base in the floor with no curb.Thar way when I get old I can walk right in the shower without stepping over anything
My cousin has a 97 Pace arrow and just arrived in Florida. When I see him I'll look at his tub if it is the same.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Quote:
You're welcome !
Quote:
(cough cough) I can see that the ''quality'' of advise concerning this project is going to be somewhat ''lacking''.... (cough cough) ...... lol....Thanks guys, I will consider some sort of payment equal to the value of your advise. I will definitely need change of a dime.. (cough cough)

Well, what can I say ? We're always here for ya Seajay ! BTW, I really like the steel toed shower boot idea, but if ya do decide to shower together while your bride is wearing said boots, just be careful or you may be the one yelling "SHUX" real loud.....
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote