Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
Advice Needed for Selling my RV

I am about ready to put in an order for a new RV. I have an RV to sell. I checked for trade in options and the prices are so low, it is crazy!

Do any of you have experience selling your RV on:
1. RV Trader - starts out at $20, but you can purchase premium or featured statuses
2. Seller Networks - they charge $299
3. Consigning through a dealer

Also, if I put it up for sale now, it is a bunk house, btw, do you think it will sell in the fall or winter?

Thank you,

pauletts in Barnacle Bill
pauletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It would be helpful to know where you live. IMHO, I think where you live depends on whether it sells in the fall or winter or spring or summer. Up north people seem to be thinking of winterizing them and families have kids back in school. I would think with a bunkhouse floor plan, your target buyer is a family so maybe spring and summer when they are thinking about summer camping. But again I think it depends some on where you live. We live in Austin, Texas and RV's sell year round because of the mild climate & cooler which allows year round camping. We sold our 25' 1995 Safari Trek Class A in Feb on consignment with PPL in San Antonio. We were very pleased. They have outlets in Houston and Dallas.

Good luck, Kay

austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Don't overlook Craigslist. I was thinking of going with a consignment dealer when I sold my McKenzie Medallion 5th wheel. Just for grins I put it on Craigslist. I had checked with the consignment dealer and he told me what I should expect to get for it after commission. I priced it for a little more than I would receive from the dealer which means it was priced to sell. I had a buyer in about a week. The Craigslist ad is free so you have nothing to loose.
John and Karen
2012 Thor Challenger 36FD
2013 Fiat 500 Toad
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Advice for Selling My RV

I live in Washington state and I would guess that most families camp in the summer.

I will try Craig's List.

pauletts in Barnacle Bill
pauletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
In Florida the coaches sell year round but they seem to be much less expensive in the spring. Some snow birds decide that they want to give up the RV and fly home. So as has been said it probably depends on where you are and how bad you want to sell. If you price it to sell, it will sell. Good luck.
Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #6
We just sold a MDT and 5th wheel. Posted on Craigs list and Ebay, truck sold in 3 days, trailer took 4 weeks. Post lots of pictures and info about MH. We tried RVtrader and all we got was dealers, some people are successful with RVtrader, we weren't.

We have also sold on consignment. I think th.at depends so much on the dealer
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
To sell your RV. You probably already did this but When we look to buy used we saw many dirty smelly RV's that would have been nice except the owner did not clean it and clear it. Clean the RV up and make it shine. Clear out the clutter and all your mementos of past camping trips. If you are a smoker open it up and rent an ozone machine to try to get the smoke out. Fix and repair any thing that does not work.

Hope this helps.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
X2 on what AlanTerry posted.

Take out your stuff so others can imagine their stuff in it. Take LOTS of pictures; good quality focused pics of the outside and inside. When we were on the hunt for a DP, we skipped right over those with junked up interiors and bad pics.
Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
Yep, clean it up inside and out.

Fix any cosmetic items that are in need of repair. If you have good full records on care and upkeep of the unit, state that in your add. If tires or and batteries are at say 50% of usable life, state that and comment that unit priced accordingly. If their is anything that is mechanically wrong with it or the equipment, state that and also state priced accordingly.

Not the ideal time to sell a unit in WA, so that could also mean you may to drop some on price too.

On pricing. Yes trade in value are low, can actually feel a bit insulting at times! But, research the prices others are asking for like units. Sure, factor NADA values. And then price it to move it. You should do better then the trade in offer, but don't be surprised this time of year to get on the low side of NADA.

And of course, keep your guard up. Don't exchange ownership paper until you have the cash in hand. If not cash, meet at your bank, to have them validate that the payment process is valid and has gone into your account - before handing over title paper to a new owner...

Craigslist in your area, and shhhhh, but also slightly altered adds posted in other nearby areas, is a good way to go. We also, had a shopping center that was close to our home with lots of drive by traffic. I put up an old For Sale sign, and a small list of facts on the RV. And dang if that is not how I sold the unit. A gent called me, and paid me my full asking price!!!

Best of luck to you,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
Country Coach Owners Club
I have sold boats on Craigslist.

Never sold a motor home, but RvOnline.com is one web page I visit every so often.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm all for Craigslist. We sold 2 there. Neither one took a long, long time. I will also agree and encourage what a few others have said. Make it clean and inviting. Often times I've seen them on CL full of trash, clothes, toys and an occasional animal. None of those things are inviting at all.

On Craigslist there is a 24 photo limit. Use them all. There is no word limit but be descriptive without writing a book. You have bunks which is very inviting to families. If we weren't so far apart I'd send my daughter and son-in-law to look at it. They are looking right now. Post photos of any damage and be upfront about any issues. Post the age of the tires. For many buyers this is very important. Can be a $3000 up front cost. If you have maintenance records, make them available.

This isn't the prime time to sell in your area but CL is free and renewable. Price it right, be honest and make it attractive/desirable. GOOD LUCK !!!
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
We just did what you are doing last month. We ordered an rv and were going to take a loss on trade in. Two weeks before the new rv came in, we listed on Craigs list and RVTrader. Our buyer came through Craigs list, lived in the same county. Sold it for what we owed with just a couple days to spare. Happy buyer and happy seller. Good luck! You can do better than trade in.
Wanabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LSC9901 gave you advice that I feel is right on the money.
I am in the Real Estate business and know how important pictures are to a prospective buyer. Take quality pictures making sure to include the bathroom and the shower. That is as important as the kitchen to most buyers. My friend sold his (on craigs list) and bought another one (not on craigs list) simply because they hated the bathroom in their older one. Another thing, make sure all the windows are sparkling clean.

Actually all the advice you got on this thread is good.

Gerry & Pat
2000 National Sea Breeze 1340
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote