Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post

The only thing I really resent is that the older Fleetwoods have windows that fog. Make sure you look at candidates with clean glass, in bright sunlight
That's only if it has dual pane windows, the single panes have no problems. But I wouldn't buy an RV without dual pane windows either.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcan View Post
Thanks again for your input. You all have many good points. What are some higher end brands? Tiffin? Country Coach? We bought our current 5th wheeler over 10 years ago (a 2000 Crossroads) and it was beautiful then and still is now. Excellent quality woodwork, flooring, etc. It seems they aren't making them as well anymore. I certainly don't want to feel like I have taken a step backwards.
For some reason people leave out Newmar when asking about quality coaches, we didn't and are very happy with our Newmar.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #31
KIX

In your OP you mentioned pulling an enclosed trailer with a Jeep and a RZR. When yo add up the combined weight of these three items I would guess you'll be real close to 10,000 lbs. And that doesn't count the other "junque" you'll inevitably put in the trailer. Consider that most coaches of 40' or less have a single rear axle and are generally limited to a max. of 10,000 lbs towing. To achieve a greater towing capacity you would need to have a tag axle coach which start at 41' in length and go up to 45'. Seems to me that you should make some decisions on what you intend to take on any given trip and then start looking for a coach that can safely tow that load. Good luck in your search.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #32

Don't be shy about going to a tag. I am also a fan of a big engine. There are several options for chassis (I have a Roadmaster S Series) and engine, but any engine with more than 500 hp and 1,500 lbs-ft and a tag will be easier to drive than a shorter one with less power.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #33

I'm not against Tiffen all together, but from the research we did before purchasing our coach, we found that they have great customer service, if you want to wait for an appointment and spend weeks in Red bay AL. I've seen many returned and traded back in with less than 5,000 mile on them. When we started looking at coaches, dealers steered us away from them.
As many have said here: Check out how there built before you make a final decision. We drove to Northern IN and visited Newmar, Entegra and Fleetwood before we made our decision. Construction, Price, Powerplant, Chassis, floorplan, and belly storage are very important to us.
Don't be afraid of a coach that a MFGR went out of business. If it's over a year old the mfgr won't be much help. Travel Supreme is a great coach to buy used. Entegra bought out TS and they too build a great coach!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As for the remark about Winnibago's, just keep in mind that they have been making motorhomes for over 50 years. There has been nothing shabby about the 2 that I've owned. Just my 2 cents worth
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Back in October we traded in our 2008 providence 40x. Ours was a great rv. We were so happy with it that we traded it in on a new providence. The 40x was very dependable and drove well. I never experienced any electrical problems on mine. Hope this helps. Rusty
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #36

John T I suspect he meant RV.org not RV.com. Rv.org has the ratings.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
rv.org

Sorry John T It was rv.org
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
To Address Mr_D's concerns. First I get nothing from rv.org. I'm sure they don't even know I'm recommending them. Second if you're starting your search and you are ignorant of what is out there their rating system gives you a great place to start. Third they go far beyond just rating rv's, they give you information on what to look for and how to inspect at coach, what to look out for, suggestions on how to buy a coach, and information to help you decided what type of coach may best fit your needs. Are you full timing, snow birding, boondocking, vacationing? etc.
Finally I have found that their rating system has been right on based on the coach we purchased, looking at other coach at shows, rallies, camps, and talking to owners.
I realize that there a great number of RVers out there who have a wealth of experience and have learned a lot over the years, often the hard way. This organization helps you lower your level of ignorance on the subject and can often save you from learning the hard way.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I typed in www.rv.com and got a sales site by Dometic. What am I missing?
Try RV
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #40

I agree with everything Pumpoer 9x9 just said and the fact that I was such a novice at choosing a Cl;ass A is what led me to rv.org and JR Consumer. It certainly helps to have independant information to review. Worth the cash in my view.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to Spanky 88
Try a large used outlet like PPL. pay particular attention to how long certain brands stay on the lot collecting dust. I too have had dealers steer me away from brands they either don't sell OR have a lower profit margin holdback floor plan or what ever kick back gimmick. Keep in mind most of these sales people make used car dealers look like saints, the industry is in very bad shape and the sales people are out for blood.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks all.
I figured out by trying different endings.

I have purchased their "kit". For the new buyer (me) it has a fair amount of information on subjects I hadn't considered. Still, the more I read and questions I ask, the more confused I become.

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, purchase