Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #43

Darcan,

I'm a first time buyer that just recently purchased and new DP. After a disgusting amount of research, we chose the Entegra Anthem (although we started looking at the Aspire). What sold us on Entegra was the details of the way the coach was built compared to the other usual suspects. That said, we happened to like the floorplan and the colors as well. So then, it was into the details such as all electric coach, flush mounted windows and slides, solid wood cabinets/doors, spartan chassis, size of the invertors/generator, storage sq footage, and on and on. Would definitely recommend giving them a look before making you decision. After all that, the most important thing was the service after the sale from Entegra proper...not just the dealer. You wont find a better, more responsive group of people that will answer their cell phones all hours of the day and not just offer help, but step in and OWN the problem like you were a relative. Can't say enough great things about them. I've yet to find another Entegra that doesn't feel similarly. Good luck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardan1 View Post
I'm not against Tiffen all together, but from the research we did before purchasing our coach, we found that they have great customer service, if you want to wait for an appointment and spend weeks in Red bay AL. I've seen many returned and traded back in with less than 5,000 mile on them. When we started looking at coaches, dealers steered us away from them.
As many have said here: Check out how there built before you make a final decision. We drove to Northern IN and visited Newmar, Entegra and Fleetwood before we made our decision. Construction, Price, Powerplant, Chassis, floorplan, and belly storage are very important to us.
Don't be afraid of a coach that a MFGR went out of business. If it's over a year old the mfgr won't be much help. Travel Supreme is a great coach to buy used. Entegra bought out TS and they too build a great coach!
Shardan1 - I just purchased a 2013 44DLQ. I don't pick it up until June but I am trying to take advantage of the time upfront to begin a preliminary list of things I should pay close attention to during the PDI.

Any insight, pointers or recommendations based on your experience? How has the coach been since your pickup?

I look forward to your response. Don't spare the keyboard if you have the time.

Thanks - Rick

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello darcan and welcome to the forum!
So you've had 5ers and you know you like to camp, this means you can be comfortable spending money on a DP, which is a big "investment". Well we love our 2004 Winnebago but have only used it for 1 season. I can tell you we were just at the Atlantic City rv show and looked a Journey and a Tour by Winnebag and were NOT impressed at all, also 1 Tiffin can't remember the model but also NOT impressed the floor was actually squishey when you walked on it, $229,000.00 rediculous! So my advice would be to look closely at what materials were used in the finish, press board and wafer board, they just don't hold up to the vibrations and the extreme temp variations! Also if they ever get wet they fall apart. Look closely and take your time.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everyone for all of the input. We've really been doing our homework. Traveled all over Minnesota last weekend; looked at Coachmen, Fleetwood and Tiffins. Loved the Fleetwood Providence and the Tiffin Phaeton. Unfortunately no used coaches that fit our criteria. A little frustrating to do so much of our shopping on the computer. I think we are getting close to knowing just what we want and need; now to find the right "first" coach. We have learned a bunch. Had great experiences at the dealers; they were patient with us and took time explaining things. With the input from all of you, we knew what kind of questions to ask and things to look for. Thanks so much! Hopefully very soon we'll be able to post our new rig on the forum.
darcan
Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #47

I have a 40ft. 2004 Fleetwood Revolution. The 350hp Cummins runs great with all the power I need. No issue at all passing at highway speeds.

I haven't had any electrical problems at all.

If I could change anything it would be replacing the three older TV's with flat screen TV's.

I have three sliders which are nice when open but honestly, if I could find a coach with no sliders that was comfortable, I would prefer that. I haven't had any problems with them but I always fear a problem every time I bring in the large slider.

Also this model has two jacks in the rear and one up front. I would have preferred two hacks in front. I believe the later model Fleetwoods have two up front.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd1513 View Post
Shardan1 - I just purchased a 2013 44DLQ. I don't pick it up until June but I am trying to take advantage of the time upfront to begin a preliminary list of things I should pay close attention to during the PDI.

Any insight, pointers or recommendations based on your experience? How has the coach been since your pickup?

I look forward to your response. Don't spare the keyboard if you have the time.

Thanks - Rick
Congratulations on the new Entegra. We actually didn't get our coach until mid January and Haven't taken it out of the shed yet. But we founsd a couple issues as we have been loading it. Plan on leaving mid march for maiden voyage. We'll take to the dealer to get the items fixed.

I'd check all the electronics to be sure they work. Go through every item that has a button to push. Start the pdi with the coach closed up. That'llvgive you a chance to operwate the slides closing. Start it up and let the air build if it isn't already. Then go through the coach like you just landed at the campground. Activate the levelers. Make sure the air drops before the jacks come down. Let it level, then operate the slides(make sure the remote works and from what distance). If you have a direct tv box , take it with you, so you can be sure the satellite works. Operate the antenna for local TV. Check All the tv's, including the outside one(also check the outside radio). Have a DVD with you to check all the plaayers. The DVD in the dash for the front tv and the outside entertainment as well. Have them hook it to water if possible and show you the operation of the Washer and Dishwasher. They will go over the operatation of the inverters and battery chargers. Run out the awning. Check all the compartment doors and Basement freezer if you ordered one. Turn on the AC's go through the operations of the thermostat. Make sure the buttons work for the Aquq hot. Be sure you know how that operates. It works plugged in, but only about 1500 btu's. You have to use the diesel burner if you want the heater and heated tiles to get warm. I'm sure when you pick it up they'll PDI it with you. Don't be shy, If you don't know, ASK. Maybe even take video of the PDI in case you have questions later. You think you understand what there telling you at the moment, but then you go on to something else and there went the for mentioned info..
When We are on our voyage, we'll know more I'm sure.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Just het out there and look. If you can get off to florida, texas, or arizone, lazydays or PPL will blow your mind.
Go to dealers and shows... shows r fun, dealers can be better, most shows are biased toward the low end and full of TT's.

When u find the right coach, u will know. It will speak to u. When it happens, pull the trigger.

It was like that when we bought our knight. We'd been looking for many months, gone to all the shows, visited every dealer within a 3 hour drive....

We found exactly the rig we wanted at Lazydays in tampa. I'd all ready got the financing in place, so we pulled our kid out of school, drove down thier from chicago, and got er done. Absolutely no regrets.

When u find "your rig" don't over analyze, just "git-er-done"
Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well folks, we did it!!!!! Thank you for all of your input and experience. We are on our way home from North Carolina after finding the perfect fit for us. It is a 2008 Fleetwood Providence, 40X. We love it and love the people we bought it from. We are in Padukah KY tonight heading back to SD and we are so happy it is hard to express. We'll be showing it off on the New Rig forum when we get back. Again, thank you all so much for your help. You are awesome!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcan View Post
Well folks, we did it!!!!! Thank you for all of your input and experience. We are on our way home from North Carolina after finding the perfect fit for us. It is a 2008 Fleetwood Providence, 40X. We love it and love the people we bought it from. We are in Padukah KY tonight heading back to SD and we are so happy it is hard to express. We'll be showing it off on the New Rig forum when we get back. Again, thank you all so much for your help. You are awesome!
Congratulations...its wonderful to read the excitement and energy in your post. Good luck and have safe, happy travels.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
new class A

Good morning ...lotta great advise here really but....first of all u need to look at a quality rig that fits your budget...second u need to start the endless process of inspecting the unit from the bottom up....I like the slid out gen feature....berkshire .....8k genny...berkshire ....100gal fuel with fillers on both sides....berkshire.....king size serta bed on the 36 with a full wall slide....sweet.....340 or 360 cummings/ allison 6 speed trans both great choice...I know some will say this is a small rig compared to the 39.....berkshire but not much differance with both....and if flying from light to light is important ....u should look at the bigger rigs with 500/600 cummings...this rig with a 340 boasts of as much as 12 mpg.....so if u r fuel conservative u might like that feature.......Berkshire has videos that shows the steel basement construction...see same...soooo much to say hope I helped a lil......lotta great advise here with some very smart folks.........jim....good luck
Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know if you are looking for new or used.
We have had 6 motor homes and until the brand new 08 we liked all of them. We got a Cat 425 in that coach and had to be towed on each long trip we took. Caterpillar never figured out how to do or meet environmental requirements of 2007 up engines. We finally traded it in on a 2007 that had a 2006 450 Cummings engine. Since this engine did not have any of the exhaust environmental equipment we have not had any issues. Some of the new engines require an additional chemical to be added with each load of diesel. This adds to the expense and affects mileage. personally I won't ever have one of the newer engines. We really liked the floor plan on 2008 but I don't want to be on vacation and have to be towed to Caterpillar. Just something to consider.
Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimcounts View Post
I don't know if you are looking for new or used.
We have had 6 motor homes and until the brand new 08 we liked all of them. We got a Cat 425 in that coach and had to be towed on each long trip we took. Caterpillar never figured out how to do or meet environmental requirements of 2007 up engines. We finally traded it in on a 2007 that had a 2006 450 Cummings engine. Since this engine did not have any of the exhaust environmental equipment we have not had any issues. Some of the new engines require an additional chemical to be added with each load of diesel. This adds to the expense and affects mileage. personally I won't ever have one of the newer engines. We really liked the floor plan on 2008 but I don't want to be on vacation and have to be towed to Caterpillar. Just something to consider.
Jim

that's why my 8.1 gasser looks better all the time. The Winni Tour 42 is just a pipe dream!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcan View Post
Excellent! That's an awesome floorplan! The only reason we didn't get one of those is that, well, we didn't have the budget for it

Steve
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
As I said before we are on out 6th coach. the first one was a gas engine that set between the driver and passenger. My wife and I had to talk VERY loud to just chat about what we saw on the road. Then we bought a 1995 pusher and it changed our whole experience. Every since then we have only looked a pushers. We don't hear any engine noise and our conversation are normal. Now that we are getting up in our 60s the hearing is not what it used to be so that has been a big deal for us. It's amazing how a noise that you have to listen to for 5-8 yours a day can diminish the quality of the time in the RV. As i said we have a Cummins Diesel and the fuel is now higher than gas but our mileage tends to equal that out. We have a quiet Onan 10kw that runs on diesel so only one tank and lots of power on the wheels and the electricity.
Obviously, you have to consider your budget but by looking around and being patient we were able to find a deal that met our money constraints and the floor plan my wife wanted and that's not easy.

Tags
diesel, purchase