Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

Advice on 2004 Fleetwood Southwind

Hi, I'm new to this forum. My name is Peggy and I'm thinking about buying a Fleetwood Southwind. I haven't been able to look at it yet due to all the snow we're getting in PA!! I've been searching and searching for a used RV so I can get the heck out of PA and head to MS!!! I've also been looking at the Winnebago Adventurer's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and have a great day!
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Have had both...... Winnebago and Fleetwood. Make sure every thing works in the coach. Water..... No leaks, Hot water heater, A/C is tough to check in the winter, Fridge, heater(s), TV, Generator etc. Myself and friends have bought several times in the Winter. We ask to see ALL items working. To know they work, and seeing is better then hearing the words they work OK. Cost to re-winterize is not that much.

Review available maintenance records. remember you are buying both a Vehicle with a engine, tires, brakes, exhaust etc and a item similar to a house, with all mention above.

Consider shape, MOst people take of their Coach, Some DO NOT. Has it been Lived in, where it was someones home for months.

Something I think is Important..... NO ROOF DAMAGE, Look at the roof or have someone you trust and with a Eye climb up there. Check inside for Water leaks from the Roof inside. Push on the roof all around, inside closets, bathroom, shower area etc. if you expect or see any water damage.

OK, enough for now, PM me if you have any Questions, I have owned motorhomes for over 30 years. WE love them, it's a hobby for us and Who we are.
Good luck and Enjoy, after you find the right one.
Happy Rving!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #3

2004 itasca sunrise-good motorhome???

Hello,

Thank you for your good advice and tips! But now I'm going to go look at a 2004 ITASCA SUNRISE tomorrow. Any thoughts on this model? It has everything that I want in an RV. There are some recalls I saw online and this RV had all new brake calipers put on due to a recall. I can't seem to find a whole lot of them for sale so I'm thinking that's a good thing! This is my first RV and truth be told, I'm petrified! I've only driven twice! I am bound and determined to overcome my fear and learn to be a good safe driver. It's the only way to go for me right now. I want to get out of PA for 4 months or so and then come back and sell my house. I do not want to see anymore snow flakes!!!!
One other thing, I'm having a hard time navigating on this forum! What is the easy way to get to your personal thread? I typed it in the search engine! Oh I have so much to learn!!!
Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Hello, Thank you for your good advice and tips! But now I'm going to go look at a 2004 ITASCA SUNRISE tomorrow. Any thoughts on this model? It has everything that I want in an RV. There are some recalls I saw online and this RV had all new brake calipers put on due to a recall. I can't seem to find a whole lot of them for sale so I'm thinking that's a good thing! This is my first RV and truth be told, I'm petrified! I've only driven twice! I am bound and determined to overcome my fear and learn to be a good safe driver. It's the only way to go for me right now. I want to get out of PA for 4 months or so and then come back and sell my house. I do not want to see anymore snow flakes!!!! One other thing, I'm having a hard time navigating on this forum! What is the easy way to get to your personal thread? I typed it in the search engine! Oh I have so much to learn!!! Thanks
Upper right corner go to subscribe to thread. Tool bar at the bottom select subscribed when you see it has a message, remember though one of them will be yours. You may need to refresh now and then while on. I too am sick of the snow here in St. Louis
Old 02-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Forum navigating

Thank you for the info! You're in St. Louis, do you ever go to MS? I have a permanent lot in a camp ground in Pass Christian, 3 miles from the Gulf! The lot belonged to my parents and was passed onto me. It's beautiful there. I cannot wait to get there! Just need to find the right RV for me!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #6

Thank you for the info! I posted a reply back to you then realized that it probably didn't go to you! Oh boy, I've got a lot to learn!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Friends have a Sunrise and love it. There are classes on Driving motor homes. Also if there any local classes on driving Class B Trucks or Buses. Friends of mine took a class for school bus driving. Reading the driving test Q&A for bus or large trucks will give you insight and safety info to help in driving and maneuvering.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

You better hurry up and buy your class a we are getting more snow tonight. Im also in the northeast Pa we got about 2 feet on the ground I hate it allready. ANd good luck on your travels
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My name is Peggy and I'm thinking about buying a Fleetwood Southwind. I haven't been able to look at it yet due to all the snow we're getting in PA!! I've been searching and searching for a used RV so I can get the heck out of PA and head to MS!!! I've also been looking at the Winnebago Adventurer's. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and have a great day!
I owned a Southwind from 1996 (brand new) to 2012 -16 years. I had very few problems with it and loved it. Highly recommend the Southwind. Are you planning on purchasing a brand new one or used one?
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Sunrise

Great News!!

sounds Great...... you will not go wrong with a Winnebago product.

here is some reading info.
http://media.goitasca.com/models/glo...unrise-bro.pdf
Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood, Winnebago and Itasca (also Winnebago) are quality RVs. Choose the one in the best condition mechanically that you also like the layout of the "house." Good luck!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRF View Post
I owned a Southwind from 1996 (brand new) to 2012 -16 years. I had very few problems with it and loved it. Highly recommend the Southwind. Are you planning on purchasing a brand new one or used one?
I switched to a Itasca Sunrise! I wasn't able to get to look at the Southwind because of the snow and then I saw the Sunrise for $22,000 less than the Southwind. It was a No Brainer! The Sunrise is in pristine condition and it has everything I wanted and then some! It's a 2004 32 ft. Now all I have to do is get over my fear of driving this massive thing! massive to me!! I believe in myself and God to help me to become a safe and confident driver. I'm sure I'll look back one day and say "why did I worry myself for nothing"! I will hopefully be picking it up tomorrow provided this rain gets rid of some of this snow! I will be a solo RV'er for now. Well me and my 3 furry children(cats).
Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Fleetwood, Winnebago and Itasca (also Winnebago) are quality RVs. Choose the one in the best condition mechanically that you also like the layout of the "house." Good luck!
I did exactly that! I bought an Itasca Sunrise and it's just beautiful! I got an excellent deal and hopefully picking it up tomorrow!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
Great News!!

sounds Great...... you will not go wrong with a Winnebago product.

here is some reading info.
http://media.goitasca.com/models/glo...unrise-bro.pdf
Wow so much good info, Thanks again! it's awesome!

Tags
advice, fleetwood, southwind