Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #1

Advice on Older, High-Mile Diesel MH for Full-Time Living

Hello, all.

My wife and I are years away from settling down with a house of our own due to changing jobs and other life unknowns, and we've decided living in a MH would be a workable solution. We would like to travel a few times a year, but we would not be putting serious miles on the MH.

We've come across a '94 Holiday Rambler Navigator 38WB that's only a few hours from us. It's a Class A (of course) with a 300HP 8.31 Cummins engine. I believe the generator is 10KW. It's got 153,000 miles on it. We've been looking a while for a MH with a separate toilet room, washer/dryer, heated tanks, and no slides that fits in our budget. This one fits the bill.

Aesthetically, it looks good from the photos online. Online research shows this was likely a $200,000+ rig when it was new, which I believe due to the real wood carpentry and beautiful interior.

As mentioned, we are considering this unit as a full-time home beginning this month and we would get it inspected by a NRVIA pro before purchase.

Does this sound like a decent rig to you more experienced folks? What should we be cautious about? Based on the basic info above, do you think it would meet our needs? Anything else to keep in mind?

Thanks.
Saluton88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #2

I would not call that high mileage for the age, often 6,000 miles per year is cited as an average mileage for a typical motorhome, which casual surveys of members here agree with. 25x6,000 = 150,000 so this one is right on track for average mileage. This should not be a concern in itself, as many of the same wear items one would be concerned about as a maintenance perspective at this mileage also have an aging concern. Primarily rubber suspension and steering bushings, hoses, belts etc. which should have all been replaced on a 25 year old coach, perhaps more than once over the coarse of its life.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #3

Couple other things to look at: 8.3 cummins in those years had issues with the exhaust manifold warping/cracking. Also, the valves may need to be checked. Otherwise, excellent running engine. Mine had 165,000 when I sold it and it's still going strong for the owner.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Maintenance, or lack of, would be the issue. Check all maintenance records to confirm oil changes etc and any major issues.

I would suggest you get oil samples for the engine, transmission, and generator. These would tell you of any major issues.

If not familiar with motorhomes of this type I'd recommend an inspection service.

You are probably close on the original MSRP, my 2002 Windsor's was ~$240K and the Navigator was top of the line HR.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with what the others are saying and will add to have a totally separate account that you fund monthly so that when, not if, something needs repair, you have the cash and the built in attitude of "this is what the money is for". For me it tends to lesson the stress when "it" happens. Good luck with your search.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Ask for service records, tire date codes, receipts. The Navigator is a nice coach.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #8

HR Navigators of that era were very high quality coaches. If price right, and in relatively good shape, would not hesitate.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluton88 View Post
Based on the basic info above, do you think it would meet our needs? Anything else to keep in mind?

Thanks.
Love our HR. Just turned 160k miles. The previous owner did his own maintenance and I do most of mine.

So I would not worry about the mileage or age but it helps if you are handy. There are lots of things you can do to make it your home.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #10

this is in no way to sway old coaches but to be wary of.Now here is like worst thing im gonna present. I do know that many of these years were properly taken care of and its the ones that look like it but not is the thing. when looking its a aaaawww thing. but just for comparisons look at 10 yr old coaches and compare systems ect not that its your price range but for expectations... the thing on old coaches is the age not maintenance or looks good but isn't. shocks are worn out rubber suspension pcs are worn and is the tranny serviced or hydraulics for steering or levelers ect. the water system has been shaken for thousand hours. and the tank supports have shaken equal. the seals on every connection like windows and doors and caps and basement doors is the underneath solid or one that has those insulation and a plastic sheet over it like mobile homes. I had a '97 London Aire those are top of line inside looked like new but all the stuff outside looks good till I really seen the sealing and underneath and stuff under hood where the gen is. the engine probably never had hoses changed or belts ect. If ya know someone with a 0-10yr old coach aske them to come with and be honest before you hire a sevice
Old 12-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In my mind, the miles mean absolutely nothing.

Check the roof, CAREFULLY. Inside and outside! Make sure it is not leaking and has not been leaking. Make sure there are no cracks in the roof fiberglass.

Check the sidewalls outside. Make sure there is NO, I said NO, delamination.

Check the sidewalls inside. Make sure there is NO, I said NO, sign of water leakage.

Check the wet bay. Make sure the floor is absolutely solid, and there is no indication of water damage in that wet bay.

Check the floor at the kitchen sink and at the toilet in the bathroom. Make sure those floors are absolutely solid with no indication of water leakage damage or rot.

These are all the 'deal breaker' problems that you could find on a coach of this age. Anything else that shows up is easily repairable.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #12

My big turn-off to an older coach is the towing capacity. It seems pre-2000, many only have a 3,500-4,000lbs towing capacity. As mentioned, delimitation can be an issue (glue can fail even without water intrusion), but I know older HRs could be optioned with smooth aluminum siding.
BeachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachRV View Post
My big turn-off to an older coach is the towing capacity. It seems pre-2000, many only have a 3,500-4,000lbs towing capacity. As mentioned, delimitation can be an issue (glue can fail even without water intrusion), but I know older HRs could be optioned with smooth aluminum siding.
There is no way I would buy a unit with any sign I mean any sign at all of ever having water issues. I can deal with just about anything but not water problems did it before when I was fooled by a RV place in Fort Meyers and kearned my lesson.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #14

If you aren't handy and fairly good at maintaining a home then you better buy the newest and best condition MH you can afford. They all require a lot of tender loving care and across all the systems. When mine is in the shop here at home I always have good company with a great representation of the high end (no issues or maintenance coaches) in there as well.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, diesel