Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
You will be sorry if you don't include Tiffin in your search
yep,... they're putting sumo springs on them from the factory...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 05:10 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doesn't mean a thing as the chassis could still be a 2014 chassis. The vehicle must, by Federal law, be registered by what the "complete vehicle" (RV manufacturer in this case) says the model year is.
When the downturn hit you could find two and maybe even three year old chassis under new rigs.
Understand, but ours is being built now, started the build in Feb., so I assume it will be a 2015 chassis. We were told it is one of the last 2015 chassis being built, as the 2016 are in line to start.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:30 AM   #17

I decided to reference the owners manual for my 2015 Tiffin 31sa that was built in Feb. on the optional 24k Ford chassis with regards to the question / opinions of 5 or 6 speed.

My Ford chassis sticker clearly states that I have 2015 chassis, and clearly states it is a 5 speed automatic. Nothing like actually reading / referencing the owners manual........

And yes, we also have the factory I stalled Sumos.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I decided to reference the owners manual for my 2015 Tiffin 31sa that was built in Feb. on the optional 24k Ford chassis with regards to the question / opinions of 5 or 6 speed.

My Ford chassis sticker clearly states that I have 2015 chassis, and clearly states it is a 5 speed automatic. Nothing like actually reading / referencing the owners manual........

And yes, we also have the factory I stalled Sumos.
how do you like the sumos...
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #19

my opinion... hope I'm entitled to one...

the only things wrong with the fords is the transmissions and the noisey

air induction on the v-10

if they change the trans to 6 speed WOOO HOOO

on a recent trip coming out of kingmen towards vegas...there a grade

I was in my excursion headed up at the bottom of the hill,,, some ol timer pulls along side of me in the fast lane... with an ear to ear grin...
he was in a winnabago.. w24 ford chassis... he gives me the international bye bye wave and starts pulling away...

I wanted to give him the international finger ..but chose the international I'm cry'n....

he laughed and motor on away... by the time I got to the top of the grade he was no where in sight....
ifinally caught up to him in boulder city.. he was stopped getting gas....

sooo... I honked the air horn at him and gave him the international bye bye wave....LOL
Old 03-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
how do you like the sumos...

They have provided the absolutely best ride I have ever had in a Class A. Um, this is our first MH, and our first excursion a couple weekends ago was about a 200 mile round trip on I85 from the Atl. burbs to SC so not sure any insight I have is worthwhile. .

As far as the noise, it's a whole lot quieter than the Porsche I just sold!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
They have provided the absolutely best ride I have ever had in a Class A. Um, this is our first MH, and our first excursion a couple weekends ago was about a 200 mile round trip on I85 from the Atl. burbs to SC so not sure any insight I have is worthwhile. .

As far as the noise, it's a whole lot quieter than the Porsche I just sold!
the thing with your coach is the low gear...538's now add the 22.5 tires..

don't anyone tell you the 19.5 are just as good... I belive I'm the only one that has takin new 19.5s off and upped to the 22.5s...huge difference

my 2012 allegro came with 22.5's but not the sumo's.... what a great coach.... fit and finish was top shelf IMO
Old 03-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
first Ive heard of a 6 speed.... but I did notice that they don't say it's a 5 speed trans any more???
Ford website still says 5 speed. A 6 speed would be cool but doesn't look like it will be this year.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjeans View Post
Understand, but ours is being built now, started the build in Feb., so I assume it will be a 2015 chassis. We were told it is one of the last 2015 chassis being built, as the 2016 are in line to start.
There is little to no correlation between a chassis model year and a coach builder's model year. They are each determined solely by their maker.

I'm not sure about "when" Ford's model year change takes place, but I do know that Workhorse began their next model year when they returned to production after the annual 4th of July holiday shut down and re-tooling break that usually followed. IOW, the 2009 models began sometime in July-August of 2008. Typically, coach builders start making their next year models in late spring/early summer of the preceding year. IOW, it won't be long from now before Tiffin is building their 2016 model year coaches
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Ford website still says 5 speed. A 6 speed would be cool but doesn't look like it will be this year.
I noticed on Fleetwood... but I do know through the yrs ford has always snuck in the trans changes as to not disrupt sell of the other models...

I just bought a new 2014 excursion 2-15 built in 7 of 13
Old 03-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Also, the "new" 2013/2014 models may still have the 5 speed trans where the 2015 models (most) have the 6 speed trans.
The salesman who told you this was counting Neutral as a speed for the 2015 models.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
The salesman who told you this was counting Neutral as a speed for the 2015 models.
No, that's for the 2016 7 speed transmission. This year just includes the "R" for "real power" gear.

Steve
Old 03-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The V 10 makes its power in the higher RPM range vs. The GM 8.1 with the low RPM grunt and 6 spd Allison tranny. I think that's why Ford has stuck with the 5 spd tranny. That also equates to more noise and heat. My 05 Workhorse chassis would run off an leave the Fords climbing grades. Too bad Workhorse is no more. :(
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, class a