Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
If I showed a $230 receipt for diesel fuel, it would be hard to argue I put it in my Subaru! Those of you who try to avoid taxes on license plates might find yourself MAKING license plates.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's another item is that is often missed when discussing LLC's. People go out of their way to try and avoid taxes. They enjoy where they live, but don't want to pay the taxes that go with living in that area. Even though you may feel that our politicans waste our money and they do.....if you don't like the taxes....move.

The same people who avoid the taxes are often the first that will complain that the fire truck, paramedics or the police didn't respond fast enough. They might have, but they were short handed because of budget cuts caused by people avoiding their fair share of taxes.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
erkme, the client who got busted was one of my clients. All he had to do was drive the 90 miles to Erie, PA, fill up, and drive home. That would have provided the proof that his rig had "left" the state or even drive across the border to Canada and then drive home. He would have met the requirements of "leaving" the state.
I see your point, and I don't want to hijack the thread with the constitutionality of it. But, how is having a gas receipt proof of anything other than that your client bought xxx gallons of gas? Is it that simple to get the government dogs off your tail?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post

The same people who avoid the taxes are often the first that will complain that the fire truck, paramedics or the police didn't respond fast enough. They might have, but they were short handed because of budget cuts caused by people avoiding their fair share of taxes.
Not for nothing, but I complain about taxes AND I complain that there are TOO MANY police and fire. So there

When someone has a minor fender bender, and two hook-n-ladder trucks with 15 guys in full garb are the first to show up - in their 2 gallon per mile rigs - I think, "yeah, I paid for that".

This thread is gonna turn political (and get closed) really quick if I don't bite my tongue...
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
This thread

I started the thread with a fairly simple question on trying save a buck on a license plate. I suggest a moderator close the issue as it seems to be getting ugly with some people singing about taxation and some other issues that don't seem appropiate.

I'm done, and thank those who passed on constructive advise.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
erkme73.....It's apparent that everything erks you
Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
erkme73.....It's apparent that everything erks you
Ding ding
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
I see your point, and I don't want to hijack the thread with the constitutionality of it. But, how is having a gas receipt proof of anything other than that your client bought xxx gallons of gas? Is it that simple to get the government dogs off your tail?
The receipt would be proof based on the number of gallons along with the Thruway toll receipt. That is particularly true if my client had an EZ Pass. The burden of proof is always on the taxpayer, unless there is a criminal charge for tax evasion. A lot of folks think that that comment is a violation of their rights, but the reality is that it is the only way the system can function. For example, a taxpayer claims they have $10,000 in charitable contributions, how is the government going to prove they didn't? The only way any taxation system can work is by the taxpayer having the burden of proof.

I understand those who say that any avoidance of tax is illegal. I would be willing to be that at least 99% of the posters on here "avoid" taxes in one way or another. If you itemize deductions, you are avoiding taxes. Avoiding taxes is not paying taxes in a way that the law allows. Using a Montana LLC while complying with your local laws is avoiding taxes. If you don't comply with your local laws you will be evading the taxes. It does boil down to semantics, but most legalities boil down to semantics in one way or another.

Ed
Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #23

Quote:
People go out of their way to try and avoid taxes. They enjoy where they live, but don't want to pay the taxes that go with living in that area. Even though you may feel that our politicans waste our money and they do.....if you don't like the taxes....move.
Ever avoided taxes by taking a deduction for children? How about a homestead exemption on your real estate property taxes? How about a mortgage or sales tax deduction off your income taxes? All of those are loopholes used by many people to legally AVOID taxes. Tax evasion is illegal and immoral. Tax avoidance is not.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #24

If you have a toad, that too should carry the same state tag as your MH. Driving through your home state with two different tags is a red flags for the LEO's.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are the process of registering our dp in Florida, we have to use a mailing adress that is provided by the mail service in Fla and then they give you a permanent address not a p.o. box. yes it cost $800 to retitle two vehicles and transfer plates and dr lic, but it sure beats the $900 per year in Michigan for 1 vehicle and $160 for the dingy
Chef Bill
Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
We are the process of registering our dp in Florida, we have to use a mailing adress that is provided by the mail service in Fla and then they give you a permanent address not a p.o. box. yes it cost $800 to retitle two vehicles and transfer plates and dr lic, but it sure beats the $900 per year in Michigan for 1 vehicle and $160 for the dingy
Do you permanently reside in Michigan, or are you full-timers?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE][/Ever avoided taxes by taking a deduction for children? How about a homestead exemption on your real estate property taxes? How about a mortgage or sales tax deduction off your income taxes? All of those are loopholes used by many people to legally AVOID taxes. Tax evasion is illegal and immoral. Tax avoidance is not. QUOTE]

That doesn't even make sense. Those are all standard deductions that every American can receive. I didn't have kids or buy a house to avoid taxes.

This is about people that are telling their state of residence that their coach is not being USED or HOUSED in that state, thus trying to avoid local taxes.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #28

Don, I think you are confusing avoiding taxes with evading taxes. If the OP finds out what his residence state's laws are, he complies with those laws, and he can document his compliance, then he is avoiding taxes legally.

If you go back to my client who got nailed. If he had left the State of NY once every 30 days and then returned, then state would not have had a case against him. However, he could not prove that he complied with that legal requirement so he ended up owing the tax, penalty, and interest.

When someone mentions the deduction for children, mortgage interest, real estate taxes and the like, they are referring to tax avoidance. When someone earns income that they do not pay taxes on, that is tax evasion and it is illegal.

« Batteries | Tire ? »