Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

Advice on tires

Just purchased av2006 Monaco Diplomat. Has always been undercover or tires covered. 21000 miles on them. Great tread no cracks. Should I go the rule of thumb and replace cause they are seven years old?

Looking at Hankook or some other brand that are in the lower price range.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What brand tire?

Rather a quandary and you will get some differing opinions I think. Since you do not know the history, care, and maintenance the tires - I would replace them.

As for brand and price, in my area I did not find other brands appreciably cheaper so went with Michelin XRV's via the FMCA program.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefpt View Post
Just purchased av2006 Monaco Diplomat. Has always been undercover or tires covered. 21000 miles on them. Great tread no cracks. Should I go the rule of thumb and replace cause they are seven years old?

You should check the date code on the tires. An '06 coach may have been build in '05 and the tires could have been a year old when built.

It's also impossible to tell if the tires have been run under inflated. This is all just to say that you should consider replacing the steer tires as the biggest danger from a blow out is in the front.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

I have the same year coach. Tire code date May 05. I just replaced all eight tires with Bridgestone.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Michelin Tire recommends, beginning at 5 years old tires should be de-mounted and inspected by a professional annually, and replaced NLT 10 years old,even if they "look good".
Our MH was always stored inside, except when it was at a NASCAR race. Tire date is 0808, we have a long trip (caravan) to the maritimes next year. The truck tire shop said they appear in excellent condition outside and inside, but I'm on the fence at this point. I'll probably replace them when we return from Key West next spring, in preparation for the Maritimes caravan. From what I've read on irv2.com, one blowout can cause more monetary loss than the cost of 6 new 275R70/22.5 tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Your profile doesn't show where you're located, Mike, but if you're anywhere that Les Schwab Tire stores exist, I'd certainly recommend going to talk to them.

We've been customers of theirs for most of the 45 years we've lived in the US. When we bought our current rig, when it was 8 years old, we found that the OEM Goodyear tires were still on there from when the chassis was built in 2001.

I took the MH to our local Schwab store. The manager there. without me asking, searched the warehouse database for the newest tires they had. He found a set that were only 6 weeks old. I got six 19.5 tires (Toyos, their "house' brand) for less than $2300 including all new CRES valve stems and a front end alignment.

After three years, they're still as good as new. We've put about 5000 miles on them and there's no sign of wear.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Because you do not know the history of the tires, consider replacing them. Join FMCA and take advantage of the FMCA/Michelin Advantage Program.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tires

Don't be afraid to talk to a truck tire shop. We put Hancook AH12 "steer tires" on our coach. We got away from the odd sized RV-only Michelins and saved about $1000.00 and a got a heavier-rated tire.
Just an option to consider in my opinion.

Jok
Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefpt View Post

Just had to replace a rear outer tire in Northern, Id. I ran over a very sharp rock that punched a hole in the sidewall of my Goodyear 670. I was almost 2 miles off a hard road on a private road making my way to my best friends house in the mountains. All the tire shops in St. Maries, Id. looked for a tire for me 275/70r 22.5 and every one had a date code more than 4 years old. I guess they were checking in Spokane, WA. that is 80 miles away. Eventually a guy found me a tire with a date code of 03/13. I was happy until he told me the brand. Samson. Well, I didn't have many options at that point so I installed the Samson tire. Mounted, balanced with beads 20 miles from town on the top of a mountain. $400.00. Lifetime warranty and all that. I asked the truck tire shop that did the work if they would use them on their parents motorhome and they said yes..Hence I ran the tire another 4000 miles home and checked it at every rest stop. It was cooler than the rest of my Goodyear tires and seems to be doing the job. I am not recommending this tire, I am just letting you know that it is working for me. Good luck.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

Be careful with the FMCA Michelin tire program, it even has an advisory that you may get a better price from the retailer without the program.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #11

Imagine yourself rolling down the road in 30,000 plus pounds of coach, possibly with a toad on the hitch, doing 60 mph, with deep ditches on either side (US 95 in norther Idaho comes to mind, but lots of roads will do) or a concrete abutment coming at you, and you loose a tire.

Seems foolish to worry about squeezing the last bit of life out of your tires. Buy the best you can afford.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Be careful with the FMCA Michelin tire program, it even has an advisory that you may get a better price from the retailer without the program.
Saved me about $800. I shopped it pretty hard.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #13

One thing I will suggest is that you get the drive tires dynamically balanced. It quiets the coach down significantly.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #14

Overland Owners Club
Recommend you not buy before checking out Sumitomo tires at a good truck tire store. I bought 7, the are smooth, a little soft, and haven't had any problems. And saved about $800 over best FMCA price on Michelins. GRZLY03.

Tags
tires