Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

I have a question on weighing our motorhome. There is a state DOT scale not far from us that leaves the scale screen open to the window when not in use. It has only one platform about 8 foot long and 10 foot wide. There is a wide strip of level pavement to the left but no extra room on the right where the scale house is. I can easily weigh each axle and weigh the right front and rear wheels with the left wheels off the scale. Question is: once I get the front and rear axle weights, can I just weigh the right side front and subtract that weight from the total weight of the front scale weight and then weigh the right side rear and subtract that from the rear scale weight? It would seem that it would give me the same weight as if I weighed each wheel separately. It may not be exactly accurate but would it be close? Thanks for your advice.

2007 Honda CRV
comp-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #2

I have a question on weighing our motorhome. There is a state DOT scale not far from us that leaves the scale screen open to the window when not in use. It has only one platform about 8 foot long and 10 foot wide. There is a wide strip of level pavement to the left but no extra room on the right where the scale house is. I can easily weigh each axle and weigh the right front and rear wheels with the left wheels off the scale. Question is: once I get the front and rear axle weights, can I just weigh the right side front and subtract that weight from the total weight of the front scale weight and then weigh the right side rear and subtract that from the rear scale weight? It would seem that it would give me the same weight as if I weighed each wheel separately. It may not be exactly accurate but would it be close? Thanks for your advice.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #3

Can you turn you unit around in the parking lot and weigh the other side? Our did I miss something?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #4

No problem as that would be the logical solution. The problem is that this is a very small DOT scale for truck weighing and it is a one way entrance and exit heading west on a divided hwy. There really is not any room to turn it around to weigh other side.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 05-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #5

I have weighed that way a few times. I weigh the front axle and the rear axle, then I weigh the front left wheel and the rear left wheel. I substract the weights to get the right side weights. I love it when the DOT leaves the scales turned on.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #6

Thanks Norm, How accurate do you thing this way is? Have you ever done a 4 corner weight and compared?

2007 Honda CRV
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

Don't be surprised if the numbers you get might look wrong. I have seen as much as 2,200 lbs different from one side of a axle to the other. If you get a big spread in the numbers, you should look for someone to weigh each wheel position to insure what the weights are. I would give it a try and see how the numbers look. It is rare to fine a real close balanced coach, not impossible, but rare.

1999 International 4700 Low pro
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #8

Thank you for your input. I weighed the coach last weekend at the DOT scales. I was within 300lbs side to side on rear and 150 side to side on front. The coach was heavy on driver side front and rear. Also found out I was below front and rear axle max weights and was able to adjust air pressure down so I should get a better ride. I have an appointment today to get the coach aligned at a place that does a lot of motorhome alignments for various dealers.
One problem I did have in weighing at the DOT scales was that it seemed to make a difference on the position of the wheel on the scale. Too far to the center and it registered heavier so I tried to keep the wheels as far to the side as I could and used those weights to compute side to side weights. When I stood on the scale platform in several spots, it did not seem to make a difference where I was, it always gave the same weight. I do not think weighing on a platform this way is as good as a 4 corner weight with 4 scales. I need to find out where I can get a true 4 corner weight.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 05-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here's another possibility. Call around to your local and county police departments and find out if they have a traffic unit that has portable scales. If they do, contact the supervisor of the unit, explain your request to weigh your unit and ask if they would be willing to weigh your unit at their convenience. They may or may not be able to help you due to various circumstances but there's a decent chance they will weigh it for you. You will have your 4 corner weights within 50 pounds at each corner.

I did this with full fuel, water, food, clothes, toys, propane and both of us on-board. This was very helpful with setting tire presures.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #10

Thank you for the information on the police scales, I will look into that. We have an RV Club where we live, maybe they will come out if we get a few coaches lined up for a weigh in.

2007 Honda CRV