Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #1

Advice Please - 2011 Damon Challenger 376 or Tiffin QBR35

Hi there!

I would really appreciate any input anyone might have on the subject. I've narrowed my shopping down to these two units, and would really appreciate any suggestions. Both models have acceptable floorplans, although I guess I'd give Tiffin the edge in that area. I'm really looking for input on build, drivability, power for towing, reliability, storage and the like. There is about a foot difference in length, different engine, etc, and is just way too much for me to balance.

There seems to be a fair amount of supply of both of these in the 2010/2011 range, with mileage around 10K miles. Prices seem to be in the $80-95K range for most of them.

ANY input would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Tom
tom855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Since this is your first post, you should be aware that brand loyalty is strong on iRV2, so consider that for the posts that follow.

In my shopping for a used RV, I found that the rule "you get what you pay for" is usually very true. And, sometimes a used rig had a hard life, making a brand that you would think as a top-of-the-line has degraded over time.

I know that the Thor/Damon Challenger line is a quality product.
I do not know anything about the Tiffin you mention...is it a Tiffin Allegro? If so, they may be very similar Gas powered RV's.

The Challenger 376 was the top of that model line into the beginning of 2011 and replaced by new models in the second half of the model year. It was available on the Ford F53 (Triton V10) - and - Workhorse (8.1l V8) gas powered chassis.

Which ever you pick, it is smart to have an expert check it over for you and have a complete and thorough pre-delivery inspection (called a PDI).

Best luck with your search
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #3

Thanks much! Since it seemed the every Google search on all kind of topics took me to your site, I figured I had no choice but to finally join.

Yes, the 35QBR is the Allegro.

Absolutely the brand loyalty issue. Looking forward to hearing what folks have to say.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. Hope you get the info you need to decide. Looking forward to seeing your choice in the new rig show off section.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. As mentioned you'll get the brand loyalty kind of thing going here. Not just with the acutall manufacturer of the coach but with the chassis manufacturer as well. I can't comment on the Thor but had a friend that had a Tiffin and they loved it. If they're close to your location I would definately drive both of them and see how they feel to you. Good Luck with your decision and hope to see you down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #6

I do not know how to say this eloquently, but I thought from previous searches that Thor/Damon product was lower level in the means of quality.
Once again I am not trying to insult anyone. I am just trying to be honest.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Never heard of a QBR Tiffin? Do you mean QBA? If so, look at the weights of the coaches. The Tiffin product in those years was built on a 22K chassis and some here have had to watch their loading closely to keep from being overloaded. With that said, Tiffin builds some very nice coaches. Interiors are second to none in my opinion. The choice between the workhorse and Ford chassis should play into the decision as well in that the workhorse is no longer operating. Good luck.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #8

What a dope! Yes, it's the 35qba I was looking at. Sorry about that!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I do not know how to say this eloquently, but I thought from previous searches that Thor/Damon product was lower level in the means of quality.
Once again I am not trying to insult anyone. I am just trying to be honest.
I too have read many posts slamming Thor (and I have seen all brands take a beating here too).

It took me a while to understand, because I own a Damon RV (a subsidiary of Thor) and just did not see the same issues.

What people might not know is that Thor is making every kind of RV there is, under many brands from pop-tops to Super C's to the Tuscany Diesel Pusher. Right now, TMC (Thor Motor Coach) alone is making 10 different models of Class A RV's and most models have several floor plans. Like, the Challenger has 5 different floor plans.
See: New Motorhomes | Top Diesel Pushers, Class C, Class B Plus, & Class A RV Brands by Thor Motor Coach

You cannot paint the entire line with an opinion about 1 type of RV. If the OP is smart shopper, there should be few problems after purchase of either the Damon or Tiffin.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I too have read many posts slamming Thor (and I have seen all brands take a beating here too).

Safe travels
True. It mkaes it very difficult for new buyers, also like myself, to determine which motorhomes to look at.
I have seen several nice condition diesels under $50K made by 'inferior' manufacturers but have been led to believe I should stay away from them and go in the direction of Newmar, Tiffin, Beaver, or at worst Winnebago.
Not that this is a bad thing. But I have seen some really nice Coachman's for under $50K, but am leery to fly 5 hours to discover it is sub par in quality.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #11

Damon is the worst coach I ever owned could never afford a Tiffin have a 2007 Expedition by Fleetwood on a Freight liner of 5 coaches i have owned this is the best
Rjb545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We currently own a 2011 Damon Challenger 3710. We have had very few issues with build quality and dependability after almost 30,000 miles. We are more than satisfied with the Damon (Thor) products and their support is outstanding. E-mail me if you desire additional comments. We love our Challenger!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb545 View Post
Damon is the worst coach I ever owned could never afford a Tiffin have a 2007 Expedition by Fleetwood on a Freight liner of 5 coaches i have owned this is the best
Specifics would be helpful.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #14

Welcome Tom,

I don't think you can go wrong with either coach you mentioned...

Every used motorhome is unique and has its own history. Every manufacturer makes a lemon once in a while and you should remember the coach is one manufacturer issue and the chassis is another. From your two choices above it would be really hard to say one is better than the other.

I think you need to look at each actual used unit separately and try to determine the condition of it, looking for signs of abuse or neglect, wear and tear, or perhaps TLC. Remember, 2 35QBA's sitting side by side might be entirely different due to previous owners use.

Do your due diligence, look for service records and really inspect the unit you look at. One of them will shine and you will have a good feeling for it.

Buy it and don't look back, don't second guess, go camping and have fun!

PS
We really like our 2011 35QBA and Tiffin has given me very good service EVEN AFTER the 1 year warranty expired. I would like to have had the 24k chassis for more margin, but I have not had a situation where I felt over loaded, even on a coast to coast 3 week trip while pulling a car.

Good luck!!

Tags
damon, tiffin