Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Rving is a luxury not a necessity and they do come with a expense it sounds like you know that.
X2, BTW if you are concerned about the added expense, you shouldn't make the move. Guaranteed to be more expensive.

fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
.......Rook, as previously posted, it cannot be said any better than this!!!!!!!

Advantages of a MH:

1. If it is raining or very late when you arrive at your campground you DON'T have to get out to go to sleep!! Just level, slide the slides and go to bed.

2. If someone is riding with you that needs to rest, go to the bathroom, watch TV with an in-motion sat or anything else that you need the RV for then you don't have to stop to let them in the RV.

3. When stopping at a Walmart, or roadside park for the evening just pull up, turn off the engine and go to bed. Get up the next morning start the invert and coffee head down the road.

Good luck and travel safe.
David G.

justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i would be leery of a MH that only got driven 2-3 times per year. running the engine in place is not good for it. just circulates the acids around the engine, and wont boil the water out of the oil. they really need to be run on the open road at least once a month. i take mine to work about that often, since we have not had a chance to go camping yet.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #18

If you travel alone, i would suggest a 36' Country Coach Concept. The Concept was the best production line MH ever built. Manufactured from the early 1990s to mid 1990s. Cost will be in high $30K to low $40K. They do not have a slide but I personally think the comfort level for one person is great.. Also consider a 40' CC Concept. Still no slide, same quality but had a longer production run. From 1989 to 1999. A late 1990's 40' will cost from the mid $40k to high $60K.

Jim E
Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #19

If you purchase an older highline motorhome you will need to be VERY handy and have very deep pockets. Just like your house the older they get the more work they take and parts get harder to find. You are RVing the least expensive way possable if $$$$ is an issue.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
If you purchase an older highline motorhome you will need to be VERY handy and have very deep pockets. Just like your house the older they get the more work they take and parts get harder to find. You are RVing the least expensive way possable if $$$$ is an issue.
What parts, that will need replacing, would be harder to find? Remember, we are talking high line, not Winnebagos.

Jim E
Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A suggestion from one who has restored Studebakers. if you buy an older unit, make sure the parent company is still in business. At least then, parts may be available. But if you have a "Orphan" plan on fabricating a whole bunch!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #22

Not hijack the thread, but older motorhomes turn into a hobby/project(I have one) I didn't say there was anything wrong with them. Mine is not a orphan but some of the systems are obsolete, yes they can be replaced with newer, but that also requires a good bit of work. Body componets (exterior door hardware, windows, ect.) can be hard to find, Hence my comment about being very handy, other wise you will be paying $90.00 to $120.00 per hr for someone to do it for you. IMHO
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
ALL my RVs turn into hobby/projects. Because there is ALWAYS something I can do...even if it's just wash and clean it.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #24

I find it difficult to comprehend why anyone would suggest it is more costly to own an older MH than a newer one even though the company is no longer in business. If by older you mean 1970's or 1980's that could be true. A high line MH, Country Coach, Monaco, Beaver, Foretravel for example, manufactured from the 1990's to present, presents no more repair/maintenance problems than newer MHs manufactured by companies still in business. Also, parts are readily available. The quality of older high line MHs were far superior to current models and less likely require replacement of broken or worn out components. Up grading could get expensive if you can't perform the task yourself. If this is case no matter how new your coach, it is expensive to repair.
In most cases, repair/replacement of defective components should not prevent someone from buying an older coach. Restoring an old car is not the same as maintaining an older MH.

Talking quality, look at a MH that currently has a MSRP of say, $300K compared to a high line coach manufactured in the mid 1990s that had the same MSRP. There is no comparison. For example, a 1995 CC Concept had a MSRP around $475K. That's a lot of money and is reflected in the quality of components and fit and finish.

These are just my opinions and does not suggest I am expert in anything.

Jim E
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
The biggest advantage of a motorhome is mobility.

It's also the catch. Machinery needs to be used, not just left to sit and rot. Motorhomes need to motor, they get expensive when they don't.

When we bought our pace arrow, a 1999 with 28k miles on it, I had an entire year worth of projects, lots of stuff just didn't work right. I asttribute it to the low miles and low usage level of the coach.

MH#2, a monaco knight we bought a few weeks ago, an 08 with 18k, has been used. So far (knock on wood) she is completely problem free. (hope I didn't jinx myself, as I'm currently camped 700 miles from home. Just wish I could figure out how to make the TV work...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Rook,

It does not hurt to test the waters in order to see if you can get that perfect RV for low $$$. We started looking 6-8 months ago and just found our 2005 Revolution for the "right" price for us. The reason that I am telling you this is that the three dealers that I was working with and had found interesting coaches with would not budge much. They kept insisting that they could not come down any further on the "gems" on their lots. Well, spring is approaching and suddenly they realize that with the cost of gas and diesel fuel, the masses are not standing in line to purchase and my money looks a lot more attractive now. They have all come back to me, literally begging me to talk to them again and asking me repeatedly "What can I do to make you take this coach...???"

My feeling is that if you have any inkling or inclination to purchase a new rig, start looking. The hunt is half of the fun and maybe, just maybe, your perfect new rolling home will find you, at a bargain basement price.
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
A diesel can set a LONG time without starting! Two to six months no problem, but the batteries need kept up. In side setup tear down will be about the same as the TT, but the outside is a snap, water, power, stinkie tube, and the toad. Stop in the rain and go to bed. Storage, by a long shot more than the TT. MPG about the same as the Sub. maybe a little better, but a small toad much better. You may find yourself moving more often and boondocking to save $$$$ with a diesel gen on board.

LEN
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #28

We have owned motor homes since the 1970's and have had class B's, C's and A's. We prefer the A's with more room up front and longer overall length. We bought our first diesel pusher about 6 months ago; a 38' Sportscoach on a freightliner chassis with the 275 HP Cummins ISB motor. At 65 mph on the flat land of Florida we get 11.2 MPG. We like the air suspension ride and brakes, the large carrying capacity and the great storrage both inside and out. This is our first slide out and the interior is very spacious when the slide is extended. I will be retiring soon and we will sell the 38' boat and the house and go full time. I do have experience with diesels and they can sit without being used longer than gas motors. I do all our maintanence and so far parts do not seem overly expensive;I have been told that the ISB parts are less than most other brands. We will be towing an older Pontiac Sunfire convertable which can be towed on all fours. Hope this helps your search. DACOTAH