Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Aero Turbo Muffler

Hello:

Was wondering if anyone had installed their own Aero muffler?
If so, did you have the pipe bent at a shop or did you use flex?
Have a Phaeton with a 300 Cummins that does not give the sound that I want.
In my opinion, nothing sounds better than a 5.9 in a Dodge PU.

Many thanks
Jerry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed my own and picked up all the fittings at a wholesale muffler suppy house. The 5050xl and all the fittings cost $210. I didn't use any flex and used band clamps throuout. I also modified my original muffler hangers to fit the 5050.
It wasn't a very difficult install after I figured out all the bends and reducers. Good luck.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

Thanks, a supply house would be the way to go. Will check if we have one locally. Did not want to use flex due to burn out.
Jerry
Old 03-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

First I removed the original muffler & tail pipe. Then on the floor next to the RV arranged/aligned the 5050XL with the old tail pipe to be able to compare any differences. I did order a 90 degree bend, 1 clamp and two universal hangers. Installation was not difficult. Mine is a 330 CAT so there would probably be a somewhat different installation. The muffler tone is throaty according to my wife.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
Thanks, a supply house would be the way to go. Will check if we have one locally. Did not want to use flex due to burn out.
Jerry
They do sell stainless flex that could work out but you have to use band clamps with it. On my cat engine they use stainless flex out of the turbo to the down turn 90. My original muffler had the 4in inlet on top of the muffler and then a 5in exit out the back. Actually the flex might not be a bad idea. With mine, I could have used a 4040XL because of the 4in out of the tubo. It might have made it quieter. I will tell you that the way mine is there is zero back pressure. I have never seen or used band clamps before but they come in all sizes, straight or stepped and can be bought on line if you do a search for Band Clamps.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
First I removed the original muffler & tail pipe. Then on the floor next to the RV arranged/aligned the 5050XL with the old tail pipe to be able to compare any differences. I did order a 90 degree bend, 1 clamp and two universal hangers. Installation was not difficult. Mine is a 330 CAT so there would probably be a somewhat different installation. The muffler tone is throaty according to my wife.

1ciderdog, You have a Very kind wife. have you put the batteries back in her hearing aids yet.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #7

Chuck, Interesting, same engine but somewhat different exhaust - mine is increased to 5 inch after the 4 inch flex coming out of turbo. I used a short radius 5 inch bend - it all lined up perfectly. You arekind of correct - she did leave here hearing aids home.

Southland - I don't know your location but I'm on the west coast. I ordered the exhaust bend, clamp & hangers on Friday and they were delivered UPS on Monday (Wow - great service on normal standard delivery fee)
Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #8

Thanks again for the info. Sure that the flex for the diesel would be better than what you would buy from an auto parts store.
I'm located in the Memphis area, will check for a muffler supply house, not sure around here, may need to go on line.
Jerry
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #9

Jerry
I think I purchased the bend and parts for my muffler installation from: www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com. If you haven't run a search on this site (irv2.com) for 5050XL or for aero and you'll find several threads some with photo's that may help you a bit.
Bob
Old 07-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I installed my own and picked up all the fittings at a wholesale muffler suppy house. The 5050xl and all the fittings cost $210. I didn't use any flex and used band clamps throuout. I also modified my original muffler hangers to fit the 5050.
It wasn't a very difficult install after I figured out all the bends and reducers. Good luck.
Doesn't the factory muffler in your rig also contain a catalytic converter? I am also in CA and understand that I must retain the CC, although I am not certain that we will ever be required to provide smog certs (as the current diesel pick-up trucks do).
Old 07-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitStrategy View Post
Doesn't the factory muffler in your rig also contain a catalytic converter? I am also in CA and understand that I must retain the CC, although I am not certain that we will ever be required to provide smog certs (as the current diesel pick-up trucks do).
If your is a Diesel 2007 or earlier, they have no smog control provisions in your exhaust. After 2007 they are using a urea injector system to control emissions. To the best of my knowledge, the muffler is not a part of that system.As for Catalytic converters, they only use the catayitic converters on gasoline engines. I hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
If your is a Diesel 2007 or earlier, they have no smog control provisions in your exhaust. After 2007 they are using a urea injector system to control emissions. To the best of my knowledge, the muffler is not a part of that system.As for Catalytic converters, they only use the catayitic converters on gasoline engines. I hope this helps.
Chuck1935,

Close but no cigar. Cat/regeneration began with 07's. Urea with 10's in the USA.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The Cummins ISM that are on Newmars did not have a cc on them. I am waiting on my warranty to run out then I will install an aero muffler.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Chuck1935,

Close but no cigar. Cat/regeneration began with 07's. Urea with 10's in the USA.
Are you saying that they DID use catylitic converters on the diesels from 07 until they went to the urea systems ? I'm not desputing you, I just didn't know that.