Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

After decals are removed

I removed the stickers off my class A and of course the area under the decals are whiter then the rest of th RV. Is there anything I can do to help blend these areas or is it pretty much is what it is?
--TwItCh-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by --TwItCh-- View Post
I removed the stickers off my class A and of course the area under the decals are whiter then the rest of th RV. Is there anything I can do to help blend these areas or is it pretty much is what it is?
Just starting this process too and understand that "some" of the discoloration is oxidized surface of the exposed surface. A light buffing is supposed to help.

I know...that' a lot of buffing. But, apart from paint, that's about all we can do. It is still is better than peeling decals, right?

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Removing the decals yourself saved you about $800.
I just had the decals removed from my RV and all the shadows of where they were are visiable. The only way to cover them is to reapply identical decals or larger OR have paint put in their place.

If you polish and use rubbing compound on the shadows, the shadows will have to be sanded and treated because paint will most likely pop (not stick well) after applied. Think of the shadows as a tattoo and to hide it, the only option is to cover it.

I am having the shadows covered with various color of paint with shadowing and pinstriping (about 1/4 done) currently. A full paint of an entire coach begins at $30k. A partial paint (covering shadows) can cost quarter that depending upon the quality of the painter.

How you proceed is a personal choice.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
How did you all remove the decals??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Here's a few past threads on the subject.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Remov...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Eraser wheel works like a charm. 3m makes one but I borrowed a air tool that is just like the 3m eraser wheel but is specifically designed for removing stickers. It works really really good and fast compared to a razor and heat gun method
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #7

I want to try the "red max pro" method... So would I buff it first then wipe the red max pro.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
I want to try the "red max pro" method... So would I buff it first then wipe the red max pro.
Before you apply Red Max Pro or Zep floor polish the surface must be cleaned with Bar Keepers Friend. This prep procedure removes any UV Chalking, waxes etc. Any areas that have evidence of decal adhesive residue should be cleaned with Goo Be Gone and then cleaned with the BKF. Finally all surfaces should be washed with Dawn Dish Detergent
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
Before you apply Red Max Pro or Zep floor polish the surface must be cleaned with Bar Keepers Friend. This prep procedure removes any UV Chalking, waxes etc. Any areas that have evidence of decal adhesive residue should be cleaned with Goo Be Gone and then cleaned with the BKF. Finally all surfaces should be washed with Dawn Dish Detergent
So is that the best thing I can do to clean it, Remove the adhesive, BKF, then Red Max Pro.

I just want to make sure its looking as best as possible before I put the clear coat (Red Max Pro) on it
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
So is that the best thing I can do to clean it, Remove the adhesive, BKF, then Red Max Pro.

I just want to make sure its looking as best as possible before I put the clear coat (Red Max Pro) on it
About 18 months ago, I hit the round Holiday Rambler decal on the front of the motorhome with the pressure washer, and it very quickly started removing the decal for me, and tore it. I carefully peeled the remainder off, leaving a nice shiny spot. I gave the shiny spot a little extra scrubbing with the bar keepers friend when prepping to put the red max pro on the front cap. After a few coats of the red max pro, the area where the decal was removed became very hard to find unless the light hits it a just the right angle.

I think if you dull the shiny finish with bar keeper's friend before applying the red max pro you'll be pleased with the results.

Fred
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
About 18 months ago, I hit the round Holiday Rambler decal on the front of the motorhome with the pressure washer, and it very quickly started removing the decal for me, and tore it. I carefully peeled the remainder off, leaving a nice shiny spot. I gave the shiny spot a little extra scrubbing with the bar keepers friend when prepping to put the red max pro on the front cap. After a few coats of the red max pro, the area where the decal was removed became very hard to find unless the light hits it a just the right angle.

I think if you dull the shiny finish with bar keeper's friend before applying the red max pro you'll be pleased with the results.

Fred
Thank you,

I have a couple more decals to remove and then I will most likly be doing this this weekend.

Last question. You are using the liquid BKF, right?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are instructions someone else posted, don't remember who, for using Red Max Pro.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Restoring the finish of an older RV using Red Max Pro.doc (80.0 KB, 366 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The simplest thing you can do is to take your coach to a local signmaker/graphics shop and have them make a pattern of what your existing decals are along with the colors, etc. (or you might check with your manufacturer to see if they still have your decals in stock) Then remove them yourself (or have the sign shop do it for you) and have the signman re-install the new ones for you. I used to own my own shop and did this myself on a couple of coaches.
Steve