Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
mre

After Market Seat Heater and Lumbar Support

We recently ordered a 2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33c. This vehicle has a "fixed lumbar support" and no seat heater. Like many of you, I suffer from back problems. All of our vehicles we have purchased since 2000 have had seats with adjustable lumbar support and seat heaters. I use my seat heater year round by turning it on and off as needed.

I have been looking on line at external seat heaters and lumbar support. Information on these seat heaters says to plug them into a power point in the vehicle. In the specs for these things, nowhere can I find with the amp draw is. Has anybody ever purchased and used any of these items? My wife would like one also, so amp draw would be a concern. Reviews of a lot of them rate them highly.

thanks
ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Those Combination Seat Heater/massage cushions have been available for Years! They work surprisingly well !

We have two of them purchased about 15 Years ago ,which originally were plugged into the Power Point / Cigar Lighter type outlets.

I can't for the life of Me find any markings indicating the draw,but I can report that they can be powered by an AC adapter that has an output of 12 Volts DC at 1 Amp!

The cigar lighter style plugs that came with the cushions vanished long ago so mine are now wired directly to the Fuse panel utilizing a spare circuit. I fused then at 5 Amps!

I'm pretty sure that they haven't changed much over the years .

Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any car dealer can steer you toward a vendor they use for after market heated seats. We put them in all the time. They can even turn your stock seats into air conditioned units if you have perforated leather. The cost to heat both seats in usually under 350.00 and your stock seat will still be stock with the exception of the switch. If your traveling near Chicago I can refer you to a company we've used for 20 years.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Those Combination Seat Heater/massage cushions have been available for Years! They work surprisingly well !

We have two of them purchased about 15 Years ago ,which originally were plugged into the Power Point / Cigar Lighter type outlets.

I can't for the life of Me find any markings indicating the draw,but I can report that they can be powered by an AC adapter that has an output of 12 Volts DC at 1 Amp!

The cigar lighter style plugs that came with the cushions vanished long ago so mine are now wired directly to the Fuse panel utilizing a spare circuit. I fused then at 5 Amps!

I'm pretty sure that they haven't changed much over the years .
Thanks for the reply. You mentioned that the Power Point heaters disappeared long ago. Actually, a quick search on the internet you can find many. What brand do you have and how old is it?

thanks
ed
Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Any car dealer can steer you toward a vendor they use for after market heated seats. We put them in all the time. They can even turn your stock seats into air conditioned units if you have perforated leather. The cost to heat both seats in usually under 350.00 and your stock seat will still be stock with the exception of the switch. If your traveling near Chicago I can refer you to a company we've used for 20 years.
Thanks for the advice. Never thought of that. I definitely will look into it.

ed
Old 11-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
thanks for the reply. You mentioned that the power point heaters disappeared long ago. Actually, a quick search on the internet you can find many. What brand do you have and how old is it?

Thanks
ed
i think he mean't he removed the 12v plugs and hard wired it himself.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #7

One like this ? When you choose one, please write back with what you chose and how well it works!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1448206067.643380.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	112555
Old 11-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
One like this ? When you choose one, please write back with what you chose and how well it works!

Attachment 112555
I will let you know what I end up doing. Delivery of then new motorhome is 3-4 months so it will be awhile. I like mojoracing idea on a vendor installed seat heating system. I have looked at them on line and I think it is more than I want to handle (funny in my youth I would try anything). I do like the Homedics device. I just wish there was spec info.

ed
Old 11-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #9

for more info...
http://www.amazon.com/Homedics-SBM-2...ic+heated+seat
Also, there are many other options if you search heated seats.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsharon View Post
for more info...
http://www.amazon.com/Homedics-SBM-2...ic+heated+seat
Also, there are many other options if you search heated seats.
Thanks. I have already searched many sights. I have also looked for owners' manuals. There are a number products I like and the reviews seem to be good, but I just can't seem to find in info on the amp draw. (don't want to overload any power point circuit). If I go the external seat route, I will look into wiring it directly to the fuse box like other others have done.

thanks again
ed
Old 11-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
mre

I emailed Wagan company about the amp draw on their heated seats. This is their quote:

"Thank you for contacting our Customer Service team for assistance with your device or questions.

In response to your email about the Heated Seat Cushions, please see information below.

Heated Seat Cushions provides 1 Amp or 4 Amp, depending on the model. "

ed

Tags
heat, heater