Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Aftermarket TurboCharger's For Gas Class "A"'s

Hello all, I am pretty new to iRV2 and new to Class "A" Motorhomes. But I'm not new to motorsports and know the benefits of turbocharging.

It's on almost every modern Diesel MH. And Ford is pullling some serious V8 power out of a V6 while keeping V6 MPG with their new EcoBoost engines.

So, I was wondering if anyone has any experience putting an aftermarket turbo on a gas powered Class "A"?

I have called STS Turbo (here: Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!) because I really like their remote mount universal system that doesn't need an intercooler because of the placement of the turbo farther down the exhaust path, under the chassis. The sales rep said I could get " a 20-25 hp increase per pound of boost and a 3-4 mpg gain" For my coach (Workhorse - W22/8.1L Allison 1000) and at current West Coast gas prices, that could pay for itself in about a year!!

I'm not trying to make a hot rod out of my RV, just get a little/safe increase in HP with a focus on boosting MPG.

What do you think?
Steve

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like crap.

You can get that power boost with a chip, talk to brazels.

3~4 mpg is simply laughable. Sorry.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Sounds like crap.
I agree! The CAC is needed because compressing the air is what causes the air to heat up, not the location of the turbo in the exhaust.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every day I miss the boat on making money.

How about magnets ?

Link
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #5

Addition of a turbo without insuring the rest of the engine are compatible would be gamble at best

If with carb the boost would prevent the carb from working unless it was modified.

If EFI the computer would need work.

Power engine parts and drive train may not survive the turbo either.

And to last it would need connection to an oil supply unless it hardly air bearings, big bucks.

However, if clear evidence of success on same type of vehicle and solid 100% money back if measureed performance us not what is promised.

Pay with plastic, have clear language on the bill that describes the 100% money back with the measurement that must be met, bank can credit if vendor refuses to
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Hello all, I am pretty new to iRV2 and new to Class "A" Motorhomes. But I'm not new to motorsports and know the benefits of turbocharging.

It's on almost every modern Diesel MH. And Ford is pullling some serious V8 power out of a V6 while keeping V6 MPG with their new EcoBoost engines.

I'm not trying to make a hot rod out of my RV, just get a little/safe increase in HP with a focus on boosting MPG.

What do you think?
Steve
the ecoboost makes good torque but it doesnt get near the power a diesel does with the same fuel efficiency.

Also your motorhome has at at least an 8x12 frontal area. Regardless of fuel efficiency... you still have to push it through air. Its a tough nut to overcome and a low budget kit like squires will add more problems than benefit.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Addition of a turbo without insuring the rest of the engine are compatible would be gamble at best

If with carb the boost would prevent the carb from working unless it was modified.

If EFI the computer would need work.

Power engine parts and drive train may not survive the turbo either.

And to last it would need connection to an oil supply unless it hardly air bearings, big bucks.

I sure would like to know where you people get your information.

Sure, the trend today is to reprogram the computer, but it's not mandatory.

I was supercharging Carbureted cars before this forum was thought up.
there is nothing you need to do to a carb, Blow through or draw through, other than a minor jet change.
...and that would be pushing it.
As far as Fuel injection goes, Vortech has an FMU that will more than compensate for the boost. (just in case you wonder how I know this, I have one on my Lincoln.) as far as the engine components go, I have been running 8+ lbs boost on said Lincoln, for 10+ years, with no damage to the engine, (and Yes, I had to create an oil system for it, not brain surgery.) the trans is another story, but that is due to my lead foot.
Not to mention, the boys in the Mustangs, get a real strange look on their faces, when they see my Lincoln from the rear., go figure.
Now to the point of all this.
I too am looking for a usable Turbo system for my V-10 Ford.
I have talked with the guys at 5star tuning, and they are "still in developement". I found a local guy, that does some systems, but not sure he fully undertands my needs.
While my Lincoln is Supercharged, I need a Turbo on the M/H. I figure, a small turbo quick spooling, and a waste gate, it should be all over by 4000 RPM, maybe 4500. just want the boost down low, where it's needed.

I don't know anything of the place, Squires, as I have not checked them out, but, no intercooler is not a good thing for me.
So, here here, lets Turbo, and Go! Why leave all the fun to the DP's
K.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speaking of turbos and Jon Brazel, Jon are you reading this? My bus is getting older by the day!

Thread link
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking TurboCharging a Gas Motorhome

The picture above sure looks like the STS dual turbo kit on a motorhome...JohnRR, if that's your rig, please give me your thoughts (pm if you prefer?)

I guess I should add a little bit more info to my original question for avoid some confusion. But, I would still prefer my question to stay generic...does anybody have any experience with Turbocharging their Gas motorhome?

I know my gas MH will never have the pull of the Diesel Pushers. I am only trying to give a little less money to OPEC and "up" the HP in the bargain.

So my details are, the W22 has the GM 8.1L/496cu/in big block gas V8. Those were always EFI that I know of for on-road applications. I would expect that remapping the ECC/ECM would be mandatory for any aftermarket turbo (and to pass 50 state SMOG).

I would think that 3-6 pounds of boost would be very safe without changing anything in the bottom-end and the tranny, so the improvements quoted by the STS sales rep are believeable with what I know about turbocharging gas powered cars and light duty trucks.

I am not set on STS. But, I will add that Squires is not new to the performance scene by any means and has been tested and used for many years on different applications from street performance to off-roaders. They have bolt-on kits for most newer performance cars. A MH would need their universal kit with 1 or 2 turbos depending on boost desired. STS kits have been featured in several magazines (print and on-line) with good reviews and, yes they come with remote oil pumps (good point from a comment above).

I am asking here because I can find NOTHING on this topic from searching the web and would like to hear from real world experiences. Thanks in advance to everyone for the input.

Steve
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jon Brazel had posted this picture last year but as he mentioned in the linked thread above there was no real interest in it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Jon Brazel had posted this picture last year but as he mentioned in the linked thread above there was no real interest in it.
Thank you!!

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
gas