Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #15

Ya know, with these tires costing close to $600 each and if you figure a 10 year life(Michelin recommendation see page 3: https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf) that works out to be $5 per month! So accepting year old tires can cost you $60 per tire.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #16

It's really a pretty simple issue for me. I tell the tire dealer my legitimate and reasonable requirements, ie; a specific number of a certain tire, age of tire, type of balancing, etc. If he cannot meet those requirements, no hard feelings, I will just find a tire dealer that CAN and WILL meet my requirements! Less than 6 months old is NOT an unreasonable expectation.

My size tires, 22.5" x (can't remember for sure, but I think) 7.5" are the same size as used on 18 wheelers. For them, age is not as much of a concern as they will run them bald long before they "age out". Sell the trucker the 15 month old tire, and the RV owner the younger tire!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Ya know, with these tires costing close to $600 each and if you figure a 10 year life(Michelin recommendation see page 3: https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf) that works out to be $5 per month! So accepting year old tires can cost you $60 per tire.

Your $5.00 per tire doesn't figure the prorated cost of installation, balancing, or disposal of the old tires since you will have to do all of those things sooner on year old tires than new ones!
Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
It's really a pretty simple issue for me. I tell the tire dealer my legitimate and reasonable requirements, ie; a specific number of a certain tire, age of tire, type of balancing, etc. If he cannot meet those requirements, no hard feelings, I will just find a tire dealer that CAN and WILL meet my requirements! Less than 6 months old is NOT an unreasonable expectation.

My size tires, 22.5" x (can't remember for sure, but I think) 7.5" are the same size as used on 18 wheelers. For them, age is not as much of a concern as they will run them bald long before they "age out". Sell the trucker the 15 month old tire, and the RV owner the younger tire!
Hi Scot, do you know any good dealers in the Lexington area for the motorhome tires?
Old 12-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Someone mentioned balancing the tires. What type of balancing does most do?
Old 12-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #20

Quote:

This is how I approach tire buying too. Cars, truck, and RV. Have always been able to work with the reseller to obtain these objectives. (Hoping to resolve this current problem soon!)

That being said, I also agree with Gary's post, that it is not always possible. And that's OK, but when a customer makes it a condition of the purchase, that is also OK! For example, the current tires on my coach (well 6 out of the 8), the first place I contacted said they had not tires under 11 months old. And that they did not want to bring anymore in from the warehouse. They recommended another tire dealer/reseller, and that place said 'No problem' - and they did have to bring them in from the warehouse.

For tire dealers/resellers that mostly support the trucking industry, I feel that they look at most RV tire customers as sometimes a nuisance. They can take more time on the upfront process to complete the sell. And they have different purchasing criteria then a trucker or trucking company would. Truckers wear out tires by usage, and RV'ers typically replace tires due to age, being the largest differences. Also many truckers only balance the steers, where many RV'ers end up having all wheels balanced. (I do, and I also have Centramatic's on all axles.)

While many RV'ers just go in and buy whatever the tire shop recommends. Many of us also try to research and come in with certain tires in mind. Not being tire professionals, cross checking with the tire dealer/reseller on the appropriateness of a certain tire is warranted - and that does take more time from the sales viewpoint.

These are expensive items, and it is fair to expect certain purchase requirements to be met. Or, to send the sale to someone else if they can't.

Opinion's vary!

Best to all, and keep the rubber side down,
Smitty
Old 12-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Someone mentioned balancing the tires. What type of balancing does most do?
huntnski
I have had "Centramatic Wheel Balancers" on my coach since '01, (for 117k miles).
Wheel Balancers for many trucks, buses, trailers, and motorcycles from Centramatic
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-31-2015, 08:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Hi Scot, do you know any good dealers in the Lexington area for the motorhome tires?

Unfortunately no. Last tires we bought were in Florida. It helps if you plan ahead and start looking for tires before you actually NEED them!

We lucked out when we purchased our new to us Dutch Star in May 2015, as the PO had replaced the tires in December 2014 with 2 month old tires! Also installed new residential fridge in August 14, replaced the original Splendide Washer/dryer in August as well. New roof by factory 4 years ago, and new full body paint job in 2013 . . . . They weren't really planning on selling, but life kind of ran them over and they decided to sell, so we got a very well maintained coach for a fair price
Old 12-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #23

Just an aside for those people purchasing new tires, especially 22.5". Don't give your old tires (even if they are OLD) to the tire shop for free. Actually, it will COST you to "leave" them at the tire shop, as they will charge you a disposal fee. Ask them to pay you at least $50/tire, and NO disposal fee. They will probably sell them for $75 to $100 per tire + mounting costs.

Or you can list them on Craigslist for a minimum of $50.00 each. People will jump on them at that price for use on back wheels of dump trucks mostly short haul where they run the risk of damaging tires at construction sites etc. They are ALWAYS looking for older tires with good tread, and don't want to pay big money to the tire store for brand new tires that may get damaged too soon!

Chances are pretty good that the tire store that puts the new tires on your RV will take your "disposal fee" and have them sold before you get out of the shop! Just saying!

Of course if you take them home, you will need a pickup truck to carry them
Old 12-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Unfortunately no. Last tires we bought were in Florida. It helps if you plan ahead and start looking for tires before you actually NEED them!

We lucked out when we purchased our new to us Dutch Star in May 2015, as the PO had replaced the tires in December 2014 with 2 month old tires! Also installed new residential fridge in August 14, replaced the original Splendide Washer/dryer in August as well. New roof by factory 4 years ago, and new full body paint job in 2013 . . . . They weren't really planning on selling, but life kind of ran them over and they decided to sell, so we got a very well maintained coach for a fair price
Sounds like you got a great coach Scot

I got a good price quote on Michelin 275/70R 22.5 tires from Costco in Lexington, but they can't mount or balance them. Looking for a shop that will do that for a reasonable cost. One shop in Mt Sterling that does a lot of trucks can mount them but not balance them "Oh we don't usually balance dump truck tires".
Old 12-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Sounds like you got a great coach Scot

I got a good price quote on Michelin 275/70R 22.5 tires from Costco in Lexington, but they can't mount or balance them. Looking for a shop that will do that for a reasonable cost. One shop in Mt Sterling that does a lot of trucks can mount them but not balance them "Oh we don't usually balance dump truck tires".
Bigd9
A set of Centramatic wheel balancers solves that problem.
Centramatic Automatic On-board Tire and Wheel Balancers
Old 12-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #26

Thanks for the tip Mel. I'm looking at that option now.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #27

Not sure of other states, but in CA, they cannot sell tires more the 1 year. Doesn't mean they won't try though.

Tags
tires