Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Age on New Tires!

Will begin shopping for new tires for my MH shortly after the new year but want to get an opinion on how old of a tire is acceptable from a dealer?

Since the tires have such a short life when in use at what age should I refuse a tire from a dealer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #2

I would not take any older than 6 months.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
X2

I tell dealer if you have to order the tires and they are older than 6 months I will go buy tires elsewhere and you can keep those.

It is NOT my 'job' to properly rotate your stock.

I paid good monies for tires and will NOT be short changed.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Depending on the dealer's supplies and your time frame, you could force that issue by saying you will wait for a set as close to new as possible but not more than 6 months old.

Up to 6 months old is not uncommon but can be improved on.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Six months is a goo guideline. Earlier this year we bought tires for 2 vehicles. I asked the dealer for tires less than 6 months old. On one vehicle they came up with tires less than two months old. On the other one the best they could do was a little over two years old.

I passed on the two year old tires and went to another dealer. They had the same tires, but they were less than a month old. Needless to say I went with the newer tires.

The point is keep looking if you don't find what you want with the first dealer. It all depends on who sells the most of a particular brand and style. The dealer with the older tires didn't sell a lot of the particular tire I was interested in and didn't want to order more of the same tires until the older ones were sold. I on the other hand didn't want to buy two year old tires.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One other thought...Negotiate a new price based on age of tires. If you can get a nominal 1-2% off the price for each month over 6 months it could still be a good deal in the long run.

One big caveat would be the conditions they were stored in. If you can find out if they were stored indoors then would still expect them to have a "normal" 6-7 year life span and if you can get that kind of deal you can hedge that bet at the same time.

It doesn't hurt to try.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Totally agree! I recently bought two new steer tires and I told the dealer I would not accept a code date older than 6 months!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Even if the dealer is large enough to order direct from the mfr, chances are they are coming from a regional warehouse and that is usually where the problem with inventory rotation begins. If there is a run on a specific type/size the oldest ones will make their way to the dealer and you could find yourself with one or more "Too Old" of tires. Seen a guy get a set of four to have one of the four already three years old...which was the first one to fail later down the road.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

In this case size does matter. The retailer we deal with has over 50 stores and does order from a regional warehouse. However he gets the date codes for all tires he orders before they get loaded onto the trucks. If one or more tires has a date older than a customer specifies they don't go on the truck. They either get replaced by ones within the customers stated date range or he tells the customer there aren't any available within the preferred range. Then it's up to the customer. They can either take the older tires or wait until new ones become available.

We always start looking for tires before they become a necessity. When we went to purchase the last set of tires for our 2001 Winnebago we were told the ones available from the warehouse were older than the dates we specified. We could either take them or wait for the next production run which would be in about 6 weeks. We decided to wait. About 2 months later we got a call that the new tires were in. They were only 2 weeks old when they were installed.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks guys for your replays!

Now what do you think about white walls? (Just kidding)
Old 12-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
ChasA
I agree

BTW in 2014, when my local Michelin dealer received the 6 "new" 42 month old Michelin tires he ordered for my coach, he, (and Michelin Customer Care when I called them), said: "We sell tires when they are up to 4 years old".
I said: "You won't be selling those 3 1/2 year old tires TO ME!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #12

I'm in the 6 month or less camp. Working thru an issue now on tires that came in that were older then I had said I would accept. (Salesman explained to me that the warranty was based upon the date of install, not the date on the tire. And that tires did not age in a warehouse. I told him we'd agree to disagree, as RV'ers replaced tires due to age, not wear, and we go by the date on the tire.) The other issue was also important to me, was I requested help in selecting tires that would be more fuel efficient then my existing tires (the model and brand I gave him), and if possible provide a bit softer less harsh ride. He recommended a few tires, I asked him about another brand, and said he'd have to go check. A few minutes later he came back and said they would fit (unusual size) and would meet my needs well. So we ordered some in, and I gave a deposit to do so. I got a bit lucky, as due to a scheduling problem, I was not able to stop by and have them installed when I had planned too. Then about a week later, another fellow RV'er mentioned to me that the ordered tires were less fuel efficient then my existing tires! So a call back to the salesman, and the short story is that he, his manager, and I could not seem to come to a resolution on what to do. (And oddly, the salesman has a different recollection of the three things items I said were a requirement: Under 6 months of age; More fuel efficient; And if possible less harsh softer riding.) Sort of in a stalemate now, two states away, and with American Express in the middle trying to help me on reversing the deposit... Disappointed in the situation, as the dealer is one that had always seem to have good things posted about it. Figure the salesman made an honest mistake, but would expect the dealer to do the right thing.

Fingers crossed on a as positive as outcome as possible, for both of us!

Back to the topic of this thread - yes, age does matter, and most tire dealers will work with you on this.
Smitty
Old 12-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

All good advice above, but not always achievable. Dealers order from the tire manufacturer warehouse, and the manufacturers build each model and size in large batches that they store until needed. Popular sizes get built regularly, but some less-used sizes might only get built once or twice a year. It's possible there may not be any under-six months old tires available when you need them. And the dealer typically doesn't have much control over what the warehouse sends when he orders. He needs to have a good connection with the warehouse guys to get them to check dates, cause the tire maker considers all dates to be equal on new tires.

I'm not saying you shouldn't demand low-age tires, but don't be surprised if the dealer has difficulty complying. It's probably not his fault...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
mine were 3 months old I was good with that

Tags
tires