Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #15

DERSEQUIM
Times 2 what the Johnsons said--don't worry about it. While we stay mostly in state and federal parks, when we do stay at private campgrounds we have very seldom been asked about the age of our different RVs. To be fair, in some instances a campground is using coach age as homeowners use convenants to protect their investment. I can see their point, and don't believe it is snobbery when used in that manner. My social consciousness is not wounded easily, anyway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I only know of 2 CGs that have age restrictions. I've never been to either one and most likely won't. I can understand that some places may not want the CG filled with rusted out heaps. But c'mon, isn't it more the condition of the RV rather then the age they should be concerned with?
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #17

How are you "protecting" the value of your rv by limiting access to a rv park. Are potential future buyers of your rv following you around to see who is parked next to you? It is a sorry policy for people who are more concerned about their money than being a good human being. Money doesn't make you any better than anyone else, its usually the exact opposite...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #18

This has been discussed often. In my case I don't worry about it ... if I bought a 9 year old vehicle today, next year it will be 10. I can't buy a new RV every few years to make an RV park happy.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
How are you "protecting" the value of your rv by limiting access to a rv park. Are potential future buyers of your rv following you around to see who is parked next to you? It is a sorry policy for people who are more concerned about their money than being a good human being. Money doesn't make you any better than anyone else, its usually the exact opposite...

I'm not a fan of this type of prohibition either but I understand them. This seems to occur in ownership resorts where there is an HOA that administers the rules and high end resorts with high daily rates. I don't think it's really a "nose in the air" issue and I think it's written mainly as a way to turn away an RV that's really ratty. I see postings here and on RV park rating sites that speak negatively about long term residents and run down units. Just human nature and why sub divisions have rules.

I stayed in a park on the Texas coast this winter that ask me to email 4 pics of my coach (each side) before they would confirm my reservation. The had a 10 year rule that the manager could wave and my coach is 12 years old. This was an ownership resort and that was their rule. I emailed pics & got a conformation right away. We spent 4 days there and met some wonderful, friendly people. Their property their rules.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #20

Background!

First I want to thank ALL who responded.

Your different responses ran about what I expected and how I intended to respond to the situation if confronted with the "Age" question.

1/1/2015 was the first time in 37 years Nancy and I didn't own an RV. From 10/03 to 9/14 we had a 2004 Montana 5'er, which replaced a 99' Sunnybrook 5er. We had put a Park Model up in 08 and stopped hauling "Monty" South. Due to politics and loss of our close friends in AZ, we sold the Park Model and Resort lot there in 1/14. Got home and she developed some Health issues so we sold "Monty" in Sept.

She is doing much better and sitting around all winter the "Bug" got hold of us. Now the "Age" thing came up. Where our other friends are,
14 was the LAST year we could bring "Monty" to visit at their Resort or use if we had bought a lot there, we would have been Grandfathered. We also had that in the HOA rules where we had our lot.

Over the last few years I heard some rumblings at parks here in the NW, about the rule and the victims talked about the fact that the color schemes/graphics were what tipped off the places that they had problems at. I always thought it was in-forced to keep out Junkers!

So I put out the "Feelers" in this post.
Funny thing is, one of the parks that was ID'd in these conversations is now full of JUNKY Fulltimers. I wouldn't stay there now if I owned one!

So if we take the jump and I see you on the road "Happy Hour" is at 4:30PDT
DERSEQUIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would like to chime in and add that, if you keep your coach in good enough condition that the RV park isn't going to refuse you on looks, you win! Your coach is well cared for. That's award worthy right there!
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Mine's old and ugly and it isn't getting any younger but I don't live in it and it has no duct tape, what can I do? I would love to get a cheap paint job but it's not really worth spending $15K-$17K for a real paint job, I'm kinda stuck.

It's time for ZEP floorwax! Many folks with older and very heavily oxidized motorhomes have renovated the appearance inexpensively using a common commercial floorwax product.

Just clean the roof, (good time to reseal if necessary). Clean the exterior surfaces with TSP, then carefully apply the floorwax. Two or more coats.

The results are typically amazing.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:19 AM   #23

I would contend that some of the purpose for the ruling can easily have to do with fluids leaking onto paved surfaces. Lets face it, how many gassers have leaking rear main seals? Gas engines run hot, especially in motorhomes. This fatigues all the gaskets at a much faster rate. 10 years and 100K miles on a gasser, and its not uncommon for valve cover gaskets to seep. Especially on blacktop surfaces, the oil residue will make the blacktop fail much quicker.

So it can be more than just appearances. (not that I would agree with it)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
It's time for ZEP floorwax! Many folks with older and very heavily oxidized motorhomes have renovated the appearance inexpensively using a common commercial floorwax product.

Just clean the roof, (good time to reseal if necessary). Clean the exterior surfaces with TSP, then carefully apply the floorwax. Two or more coats.

The results are typically amazing.
I should say that my motorhome is 25 years old, it sat in a field in the CA hot sun for many years. When I got it it had layers of dirt on the fiberglass siding, the decals are pealing off. I cleaned it with a power washer but it pulled some of the paint off along with the dirt. I reduced the pressure so I didn't just blast the decals completely off. As for the roof, it's EPDM rubber membrane and I have already coated it with liquid rubber, it's perfectly white now!! It's the sides that really need to be done. I've already upgraded many things to this rig including a new cooling unit for the fridge, a true sine inverter, all new batteries, a back up camera system, all new tires, air bag shock replacement, flat screen TV, and many other things. The thing was cheap and fixing it up has been a fun project but painting isn't something I'm set up to do by myself but I'm starting to think it's the only way this thing will be painted. To get it done by a pro would cost upwards of $15K-$18K and for that much I could trade it in and get a newer and better motorhome. It's not like I don't have the money but it's just not worth spending it on painting this. I'm willing to put $5,000 into it, but that won't get me anything, still, I wish there was something I could do, maybe the wax could help a little bit, the original clear coat is long gone, but I think it needs more.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:47 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 69 Winnebago looks almost like the new one.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never been asked and our favorite park has a 10 year rule. The dutch Star still looked very good after 13 years so it wasn't a problem.
I don't expect problems with the present rig in the future either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
.... maybe the wax could help a little bit, the original clear coat is long gone, but I think it needs more.
Check out this guy's floor wax example.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #28

We have a simple rule. If that is what they care about, we don't care about them. I have run into this once only and never bothered an RV Resort again.

Funny story time:
The group I belong to is all motorhomes that were only made between 1973 and 1978.
Our chapter had scheduled a rally at a well marketed CG. The wagonmaster was in the area and thought to drop by two weeks before. When he got there, he was asked the age of the coach, He told them. (His is a beautiful 78.) They then told him about their 10 year rule. He was surprised as they had not mentioned this when the rally was scheduled. So, he went out to his coach and got the list of attendees that he had and when in and cancelled all 38 and got repaid the reservation fees right then.
He went up the road to a CG he already knew (well about 15 miles), and got the rally reset for there. Nice people and a great place.
Matt