Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Age restrictions?

I'm looking at a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32'. I've heard in the past and called one of our favorite CGs and they said 10 years is the oldest they allow! Checked the Website and it stated 2000, but it also implied each unit would be rated on it's condition.

Has anyone with a 90's unit had problems?

The one I'm looking at is about an 8 of 10 unit outside. I'ts been sitting for 3 years. The wife just wants it GONE! You can tell that it was Loved. She said he did a complete "Spit Shine" after every trip. He had put on 6 new Michelin tires, to go south, the week he got hurt. They still have the stickers on them. I checked with Discount tire and they told me what to do to cure the flat spot! We're going to try and fire it up tomorrow. If it goes it's headed to it's new home!
DERSEQUIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

Nowadays you will find most campgrounds that used what I call the "snob-factor" age restriction, have families living permanently in their campground in old trailers. Very few campgrounds have age restrictions anymore. As far as I am concerned, if they don't want my business, I'll go elsewhere!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #3

I remember the first time we went to check in at a RV park that asked us the year and type of RV we had. I asked the lady why she wanted to know, she stated that the park had restrictions on older units. Me and my wife just smiled and left. It had never crossed my mind that people would judge a person by what type and year of RV they had...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:17 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine's old and ugly and it isn't getting any younger but I don't live in it and it has no duct tape, what can I do? I would love to get a cheap paint job but it's not really worth spending $15K-$17K for a real paint job, I'm kinda stuck.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've hit 48 states and never once have I been asked the age of my coach.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 AM   #6

been to 150 parks around the country and have never been
'asked' what the year model of our coach was, or had anyone
'inspect' it - tho it obviously looks new.
I have seen Beavers, Monacos, and many others that are
certainly '90s' models, but yet are maintained well and are
not an 'eyesore' that parks might be concerned with.
If your rv looks well maintained, I dont think you'll have any
issues - can you imagine a park turning away a 1965 Airstream in pristine condition? I think not.
Otherwise, I would just respond to any inquiry as a
'2000' model - how are they to know anyway?

parks, tho, are not 'snobbish' to have rules. Imagine you live in a nice neighborhood of $300k homes, and a neighbor brings in an old mobilehome and sets up next to your property. Your neighborhood covenants that don't allow this are not because you are snobbish, its to maintain the continuity of the neighborhood.
There are certainly rv 'parks' in every city that will be glad to have any dollar they can get - I doubt you'd appreciate the 'neighborhood' though.
I think also that there is a difference between A)Campgrounds B)RV Parks and C)RV Resorts
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our first RV was a 20 year old Toyota Dolphin, affectionately referred to as the "Toyhouse", Immaculate condition, inside and out. Never got turned away because of the age (the owners or the motorhomes)

Regardless of who we parked beside, people were always curious about it and wanted to look inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyhouse_Front.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	92493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyhouse_Rear.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	92494  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

I've never been asked, nor has a check-in person ever left the building to go out to look at the coach. They wouldn't know what year it was anyway.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #9

If it looks good, seldom will you have a problem. They just use it in case a really cruddy RV comes in, then they have a regulation to back them up.

Used to have a 1964 Airstream that looked almost new. Not once in 15 years did we get turned away. Once or twice they looked out the window, and said we were fine.

I now have a 1990 Bluebird. So far no problem.

Looks are the key. I do believe there are a few very high end parks that actually do enforce the age thing. I cannot afford them anyway!
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
In over 23 years of owning a Class A from a 1972, 1983 and present 1999.
I have never been ask about the age of any of them.

For the last several years I use Passport America campgrounds when traveling when possible. I don't think any of them have a age restriction.

I pick out(research) my overnight stops ahead of time. And guessing that any that have the age limit are not on my list because of their overnight prices they charge.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #11

You can always lie. I know of one Revcon owner who had a '74 Revcon. He had reservations, and they never stated anything about age restrictions. When he arrived they told him that had a 10 year old limit. He told them it was a year 2000 and they believed him. (This was a few years ago) . Often the person at the desk doesn't really know anything anyway. As long as it looks well kept, they don't know.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #12

With our previous coach,We have been asked, but never turned away... we also kept it in real good condition.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DERSEQUIM,
Forget the coach age thing. This shouldn't even be on your list of things to worry about. There are many happy memories waiting to be made, go make them. Hope the coach check out so you can go have fun.

Get the Good Sam CG directory. There thousands of CGs waiting for your business.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #14

Keep us posted and post some pictures.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote